Razer Surround Adds 7.1 Audio to Any Desktop, Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

wysir

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
"Razer Surround is intended for headphone use, so don't expect 7.1 surround sound flowing from your desktop or laptop's speakers."

You should've said headphones instead of desktop/laptop in the title....

I like surround for properly configured speaker systems, but for headphones no. Virtual surround for gaming is nice feature, but stereo all the way.

RambosBodyguard

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
WOW! Now I use a cheap-ish laptop most of the time (like right now) and it's audio isn't that great with my in-ear headphones. The surround is good but I like the EQ settings the most. I say this is a must have.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
a few things:

i'm glad people are waking up and realizing that 7.1 headsets are a complete joke. all you need are two capable speakers, one on each side, with large soundstage. even though this program is cool, all it seems to do for me is add bass (listen to the truck pass at 18 seconds, it's just bassier). i have a non-gaming headset (ath-a900x) with a zalman clip-on mic attached to a soundblaster z, and it's amazing for directional audio. i often find myself closing my eyes and rapidly moving the mouse to see if i can pinpoint the direction the audio is coming, and i pretty much nail it every time.

MetzMan007

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
just tried it out. works pretty good. better then any other alternatives (dolby surround). works way better. just watched the last stand and could hear the bullets comeing from behind me. using bose qc15, noise canceling headphones, on razer edge gaming tablet. will try on my pc later. always been a fan of razer. but allot of there products seem to have issues (there xbox and pc game controllers and some keyboards). but i am glad this worked out.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
After install it wants you to create an account?? You cannot open the program otherwise. So does this only work if you are logged in? I wish the article covered the install and use. I just don't like more bandwidth being used by progs phoning home. I may just de-install

There is no such thing as 5.1 or 7.1 in headphones. Its pure physics.
There is the ilusion of it. In theory, if they make it really good, its going to work amazingly.

However, from expirience, I know it wont. Razer produces budget gear (compared to hi-End of HI-Fi equipment that can cost over 1000 dollars), so I doubt they will change their market focus to produce very good equipment.

EDIT: Equpment... i guess i meant software :D.
However, anything free deserves some thanks.

burnneck

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
However, from expirience, I know it wont. Razer produces budget gear (compared to hi-End of HI-Fi equipment that can cost over 1000 dollars), so I doubt they will change their market focus to produce very good equipment.

Are you saying, because something is expensive it must be good? Here have some of my turd i'm selling it for a thousand bucks.

Dude... im obviously not saying that. But i understand you require some explanation:

The costs of making good equipment is higher than making cheap equipment, thus, its price will be higher.
This says clearly that a company that is designed to produce profit, and has cheap equipment, will most likely have low quality.
Razer is well known to make rather poor equipment (compared to mechanical keyboards from steelseries, or headphones from sennheiser or hifiman), however its prices are not exactly the cheapest.

P.S. You can keep your Turd :D.

zeffir

Honorable
May 1, 2012
I can assume the biggest fault of this program is people will be using it to listen to music and most likely it'll just make the music sound muddy or unclear. Surround sound is great for FPS games and what not where pinpointing the location of a sound is vital and I'll say that's probably one of the real uses for it. Otherwise you're just gimping your sound system.

Status
Not open for further replies.