Razer to Release Deadly Mechanical Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grims

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
So, are thy saying every other keyboard they have sold were standard mechanical keyboards rebadged as gaming keboards?

The backlight is pretty neat. But at that price I would expect an ergonomic keyboard. As for key presses my $20 Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 is mechanical enough for me. When they say partial press and really easy to press down keys. I picture a lot of errors when touch typing as fingers just resting on keys accidentally depress them from the slightest touch.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]sirmorluk[/nom]Sounds great![/citation]

clickclickclickclickclickclick What? clickclickclickclickclickclick I can't hear you clickclickclickclickclick my keyboard is too loud! clickclickclickclickclick

L0tus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
At $80, I'd rather wait for the reviews. And at $120, I REALLY struggle to find the justification...unless you're a pro-gamer or something, this is just excess gone wrong.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
It is nice to see that the design of keyboard is fairly conservative and they are not just marketing it to kids who want some kind of off-beat radical looking gizmo.

squallypie

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
[citation][nom]trkorecky[/nom]Hw the hell d yu nt know if yu've pressed a key or nt?[/citation]

i have a monitor which shows the output. if no output, i havent pressed the button.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I always like these types of keyboards, like the old IBM ones, but the problem is, for most men, the natural keyboards are much faster. Only the narrow shouldered will find the angle on normal keyboards anything more than unacceptable, once they try the "natural", or ergonomic spacing. Sadly, I haven't seen one that's set up with these mechanical keys, which makes me wonder why they'd make a mechanical keyboard for people who type very well, but then not make it the correct layout for these people. I guess girls will be OK, but, for men, the normal keyboard is not the right angle.

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
[citation][nom]Grims[/nom]So, are thy saying every other keyboard they have sold were standard mechanical keyboards rebadged as gaming keboards?[/citation]

No, reread it: "Razer claims that most mechanical keyboards in the market today are standard mechanical keyboards rebadged as gaming keyboards..."

They don't currently sell any mechanical keyboards, so this doesn't even apply. They're referring to products like: http://elitekeyboards.com/ or www.daskeyboard.com/ or http://www.steelseries.com/int/reseller/content/keyboards/steelseries_7g.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
If there are already keyboards out there that are mechanical keyboards and most gaming keyboards are just rebadged mechanical keyboards why blow 80 clams on one made by this company? For the macro keys?

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]trkorecky[/nom]Hw the hell d yu nt know if yu've pressed a key or nt?[/citation]
[citation][nom]squallypie[/nom]i have a monitor which shows the output. if no output, i havent pressed the button.[/citation]
Obviously no one around here understands irony
I got it, it was hilarious

G

ROFL!!! I knew I'd be back in style some decade. I still have two working being used daily IBM 101 key tactile feedback keyboards. THE industry standard for data entry. This one I'm typing on has a manufacture date of August 1994 and it is the new one! There is nothing new under the sun....just rehashed old ideas and products.

Cormag

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
So they are actually going backwards with innovation? I have an old IBM keyboard like this and I prefer the newer keyboards as I can be typing and still have a conversation without having to yell over the clicking.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Actually tried out the board the other day at Gamescon. I was never really into mechanical keyboards, always preferred the slim laptop styled keys myself, but this is amazing. Brings me back to the days of those amazing old IBM mechanical keyboards.

Having said that, you'd think that Razer would release a keyboard with green back-lighting since it is their company color and all... which is the only thing that is preventing me from ordering the Lycosa or the Ultimate edition of this keyboard. Call me crazy, but in my opinion, blue back-lighting is too bright and tends to cause some glare if your monitor is right next to the keyboard. Never had that problem with green back-lighting.

kilthas_th

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I didn't see any information regarding its support for full n-key rollover on ps/2 or 6-key on USB, plus modifiers. They also don't mention how the keys are printed (laser etched, dye sublimated, injection molding, pad printed) or which switches they are using. Still, even the ultimate is a lot more cost efficient than the Deck Legend - Ice (Tactile), I was eyeballing.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]kilthas_th[/nom]I didn't see any information regarding...[/citation]My thoughts exactly. I've had too many keyboards wear out like they were sprayed with aerosol paint or something. +1 sir.

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]Cormag[/nom]So they are actually going backwards with innovation? I have an old IBM keyboard like this and I prefer the newer keyboards as I can be typing and still have a conversation without having to yell over the clicking.[/citation]
Best keyboard I ever used was on an old IBM XT.

Keyboards haven't innovated for quality, but more for manufacturing cost. Back in the 80s (and even early 90s), keyboards (and computers in general) were built to last. These days they're built under the assumption that it will probably be replaced in 5 years.

IMO, going back to mechanical switches is a good thing. The extra features are great too (like backlighting and programmable keys) but if they're flimsy and get gunked up easily, and don't have great feedback, then I don't like it.

I've said it multiple times, you could take the XT's keyboard and give someone a concussion with the thing, and it still would work perfectly. That is the definition of quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.