Razer's 'Project Fiona' Gaming Tablet Concept is Awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
The CPU is the next gen Ivy Bridge for mobile computers, at 22nm process. The GPU is classified.
Also it's not a concept, it's a prototype: a reporter from Engadget actually got to play with one a little bit of Space Marine. The plan is to release the final version at the end of this year at less than $1000.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]I imagine it weighs a ton. I'm not sure if this is really a tablet, or just an all in one PC without a stand.[/citation]

It has a 22nm processor and last generation GPU, the screen is 10 inches and 1200×800 res. It's a lot more compact than you would believe it is.

namelessted

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
It looks like Razer just took too long to bring their wireless motion controller to market and have now decided to rebrand it to appeal to the tablet crowd.

Seriously, I got to see a set of controllers from Razer two years ago at CES that look a lot like the two side controllers but were not connected to anything and you could play L4D and some other game with them, They were totally lame, tbh. And this looks even dumber.

I think it would be a safe bet that this product either never releases or that it will tank massively if it does.

echdskech

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]'project fiona' nice naming departure from all the assassin, ninja, killer, cyborg stuff.[/citation]

I thought Fiona was a Shrek reference. Same line of fighting prowess if the first and last movies are any indication.

burito

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
reminded me of the controller used in the movie Real Steel which is actually cool. Now if they could make it a transparent LCD!!!

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
The GPU should be at the very LEAST a Nvidia GT550M or similarly-powered Radeon.
Any gaming device should be able to deliver on gameplay AND graphics especially to be branded as such.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
I still think that the Wiiu has a better concept.

"Powerful" hardware in a base station, and almost no way to display video on the pad.

Honestly give me decent screen touchpad controls, with normal counsel control, and allow me to dock this in a keyboard, and have the actual hardware that drives this thing outside of the screen, so it's only a hardware upgrade without a screen upgrade.

king_maliken

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
I play "hardcore" video games in the comfort of my home thank you. The only time I do play out of home, for example, Angry Birds is when I have to waste time and there is nothing better to do (example waiting for your plane); I would not be able to play a game such as BF3, either because I like socializing (example during lunch), or it would not even be possible to play when there's really only 10 to 20 minutes to waste. I see absolutely no reason for me to want this device.

People look around you, when you're in public there's better things to do then play enticing video games, when you're at home and want to relax think of nothing, when you zone out in a virtual world there's a better platform, it's called the PC.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
[citation][nom]chumly[/nom]Mobile gaming tablet that requires a constant cord connection to the wall.[/citation]

Well, at least you're mobile within the reach of those walls xD

[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]'project fiona' nice naming departure from all the assassin, ninja, killer, cyborg stuff.[/citation]

Unless "Fiona" is the actual name of said assassin, ninja, killer, or cyborg :p
But it reminded me of Shrek as well, since my 4 years old daughter is hooked on the subject ;)

[citation][nom]salad10203[/nom]Make the controllers detachable and you got me.[/citation]

I do believe they are. Here's hoping they included some additional battery in the controller.

All kidding aside, this little thing has me well intrigued. I just hope they get it right. And I am certain one could use this to great success in all sorts of applications, besides gaming.

@burito:

Heheh, it looks positively geeky, I also dig the Real Steel reference.

G

I've been using Razer products for the last 10 years starting with the Boomslang. I still have it.
I'm hoping that it only costs a leg, need the arms to play.
Go Razer !!!!

G

this is not intended for PC... if you want it for PC it needs a mouse. analog sticks make it a console...

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]It has a 22nm processor and last generation GPU, the screen is 10 inches and 1200×800 res. It's a lot more compact than you would believe it is.[/citation]

I'm sure it doesn't "weigh a ton", but on the other hand tablet users seem to think carrying a tablet around is easier than carrying a netbook. With this device, it looks like you would carry a 10-inch screen with controllers on the side, which will make the thing as wide as a 14" notebook, at least.

It looks awesome to me, but I'm thinking that function won't be as cool as form. I'm not a "mobile gamer" though, at least in terms of tablets and Gameboys and the like. I don't have a problem with carrying around a 17" notebook (I can certainly understand wanting to carry something you can fit in a briefcase though. If I had to carry around a computer AND paperwork for the office, I'd certainly seriously consider a smaller form factor.) My favorite type of game is an MMOG, which can't be played with the controllers this thing will have. Of course, this is aimed more at console friendly games, not MMOGs. I expect the controllers would do a decent job there. The only reason I mention MMOGs is that I CAN play them on a notebook, and so I don't have to give up anything to use a notebook instead of a tablet, and the notebook is no more a problem for me to carry around (I'm just speaking for me here, not telling anyone they "should" carry around a notebook or netbook instead of a tablet.)

Certainly an interesting device.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.