Jan 17, 2023
hello comrades i have a problem with red dead redemption 2, when i turn off antialiasing(taa and dlss) the LOD of the objects starts to fail, things start to pop in and pop out of the screen, i leave link of a vid i took for better understanding, pay attention to fences and trees
View: https://youtu.be/hPwZoDL0-V4
here are images when im far and then near
https://im.ge/i/sjWs2D
https://im.ge/i/sjWdpY
https://im.ge/i/sjWaw4
https://im.ge/i/sjWhe1

When i turn on TAA or DLSS the problem disapears but i don't want to play with those options enabled 'cos it gives you a very blurry image.
i already contacted Rockstar support but got no help. List of things that I already tried:

• Tried manually increasing the LOD in Documents\Rockstar Games\Red Dead Redemption 2\Settings\system.xml
  • verified integrity of game files in steam
  • reinstaled the game
  • updated Rockstar Games Launcher
  • I cleared the local data of the Rockstar Games Launcher profile
  • updated windows, graphics drivers, etc.
  • i even formatted the pc, installed everything and it's still the same
I have the nvidia resizable bar enabled but nothing changes if I disable it
the same running on vulkan or directx 12

my system info is:
windows 10 pro 64 bits
processor AMD ryzen 5 5600x
graphics card evga rtx 3080ti
motherboard msi tomahawk b450
RAM g skill trident z royal 32gb 3600mhz
the monitor is a 48-inch LG OLED-C1 TV 120hz
storage V-NAND SSD 970 EVO plus NVMe M.2 500GB

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The game is known to be poorly optimized, but even on my GTX 1080, it ran and looked good to me after following this guide, which I highly recommend watching. You should also of course make sure your GPU driver is at least updated enough to make use of DLSS 2, not just DLSS. DLSS 2, if you've not tried it, may give you better image quality.

Jan 17, 2023
The game is known to be poorly optimized, but even on my GTX 1080, it ran and looked good to me after following this guide, which I highly recommend watching. You should also of course make sure your GPU driver is at least updated enough to make use of DLSS 2, not just DLSS. DLSS 2, if you've not tried it, may give you better image quality.

i have already tried every graphic setting but the only one that causes that trouble is the antialiasing

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Going to keep it simple for you.
Because you have Nvidia you're going to need TAA enabled for that issue to not happen. Nothing you can really do about it.
Enabling DLSS forces TAA because it uses it as part of it's upscale sharpening.

Not sure why you say it looks blurry when using DLSS though.
I can use DLSS set to quality mode at 4K with default TAA sharpness and it looks crisp and clean to me.

Make sure you don't have motion blur enabled cuz it will absolutely destroy any sort of clarity in the image with the slightest of motion.

That Steam community post talks about adjusting the TAA sharpness slider to make it less blurry, but that is typically for lower resolutions such as 1080p and shouldn't be an issue at 4K.

Jan 17, 2023
Going to keep it simple for you.
Because you have Nvidia you're going to need TAA enabled for that issue to not happen. Nothing you can really do about it.
Enabling DLSS forces TAA because it uses it as part of it's upscale sharpening.

Not sure why you say it looks blurry when using DLSS though.
I can use DLSS set to quality mode at 4K with default TAA sharpness and it looks crisp and clean to me.

Make sure you don't have motion blur enabled cuz it will absolutely destroy any sort of clarity in the image with the slightest of motion.

That Steam community post talks about adjusting the TAA sharpness slider to make it less blurry, but that is typically for lower resolutions such as 1080p and shouldn't be an issue at 4K.
im sure i don't have motion blur enabled, maybe you have an AMD graphic and thats why you don't have blurry image when TAA is on but i swear my game look like its painted when TAA is enabled, especially when I'm moving, all the detail is lost

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
im sure i don't have motion blur enabled, maybe you have an AMD graphic and thats why you don't have blurry image when TAA is on but i swear my game look like its painted when TAA is enabled, especially when I'm moving, all the detail is lost
What makes you think I have AMD? I said I use DLSS.
DLSS is exclusively Nvidia RTX technology.
I have an RTX 3080.
My system specs are also in my signature (which may or may not show up on mobile if using mobile)

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I might be inclined to think it's an driver issue?
Not entirely sure though.
Lateste Game Ready Drivers are trash right now (GRD is kinda trash in general) best thing to do is use Studio drivers as those are always stable.
GRD is basically beta test drivers that Nvidia gets gamers to be guinea pigs for then they eventually finish adding features and ironing out kinks to package everything up into a Studio driver release.

Latest Studio drivers right now are 522.30
DDU should be used for wiping the drivers clean and installing new drivers fresh.
NVCleanInstall should be used if wanting to avoid Nvidia telemetry and GeForce Experience nonsense.

Lateste Game Ready Drivers are trash right now (GRD is kinda trash in general) best thing to do is use Studio drivers as those are always stable.
GRD is basically beta test drivers that Nvidia gets gamers to be guinea pigs for then they eventually finish adding features and ironing out kinks to package everything up into a Studio driver release.

DDU should be used for wiping the drivers clean and installing new drivers fresh.
NVCleanInstall should be used if wanting to avoid Nvidia telemetry and GeForce Experience nonsense.
I don't know, this seems exaggerated as well. I've never had the problems he's describing using Nvidia's Game Ready Drivers.

Jan 17, 2023

maybe is a drivers issue cause i tested the witcher 3 and it gives a similar problem, when turn off antialiasing starts to do the same, pop in and out trees and bushes
but i already tried installing older drivers but doesn't solve the problem

Jan 17, 2023
I never asked but why do you want to play with antialiasing off?
because i play in 4k and the aliasing is not so noticeable
if i activate antialiasing i lose more than i gain, the game loses a lot of definition especially when i move, in any case i already partially solved it, activating MSAA x2 i lose few fps and don't lose any quality, for some reason MSAA is the only antialiasing that does not blur the textures, some elements keep appearing and disappearing but they are very few

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
because i play in 4k and the aliasing is not so noticeable
if i activate antialiasing i lose more than i gain, the game loses a lot of definition especially when i move, in any case i already partially solved it, activating MSAA x2 i lose few fps and don't lose any quality, for some reason MSAA is the only antialiasing that does not blur the textures, some elements keep appearing and disappearing but they are very few
A bit late of a response, but just for information sake, the reason MSAA doesn't make things seem blurry is because it's basically internally rendering everything at resolutions even higher than 4K and then cramming it down into the smaller frame making it sharper, rather than using algorithms that attempt to soften the jaggies without doing the crazy high resolution downsampling techniques in order to achieve usable AA without the major performance costs.

But as it's stands you still shouldn't have this issue, so perhaps a clean install of your drivers might help since it's possible there's just something wrong with them currently being installed (corrupted drivers can easily happen over time when doing the "express" installation method for driver updates) and since it'll only cost you a little time and nothing more, it's possibly worth doing just to be sure.

The method to use is DDU if you know of it, and if not, here's a link.
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html