Question Re formatting old drive after cloning

JamesHell9698

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
Hi all,

I just finished cloning an old failing Hard drive and its all gone fine. I would like to keep the old drive in if possible but im not sure what will happen if i delete everything off it right now as i think all my programmes are still loading off that and not the new drive, even after changing the old one to my H drive and the new one to E, as the old one was.

What do I do? If i clear the old drive now will all my programmes still work as normal from the new E drive?

Thanks!

winston_white86

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
Question on the reformatting of the harddrive i just cloned over to a new crucial 525gb M.2 but my windows is still showing as main on my old harddrive i tried to cleaning the harddrive but it wouldnt let me dele the whole thing i am booting off the m.2 and everything seems to be working fine but i want to free up the old hdd for storage if anyone can help me with a step by step for this i would be really thankful

USAFRet

Titan
Question on the reformatting of the harddrive i just cloned over to a new crucial 525gb M.2 but my windows is still showing as main on my old harddrive i tried to cleaning the harddrive but it wouldnt let me dele the whole thing i am booting off the m.2 and everything seems to be working fine but i want to free up the old hdd for storage if anyone can help me with a step by step for this i would be really thankful
You physically verify the system works from the new drive by itself.

Power OFF
Disconnect the old drive
Power up
Does it boot correctly?
Then, verify the boot order lists the m.2 drive as first in the selection.

Powering on after that should allow you to wipe that old drive.

Using the commandline diskpart function and the clean command is the easiest and best way to wipe it fully
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-and-format-storage-drive-using-diskpart-windows-10

winston_white86

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
ok will do its bedtime work in afew will check when i get off work when i have the time to unplug and i do have a backup made just in case something goes wrong

thxs for the help will keep yall posted thxs much