Hellsbellboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
At my job we are using HP9100 series CD burners with Easy CD Creator to burn .pdf files to CDs. We started by burning the .pdf's off of a network drive and it seems to be working, no error messages or anything and it says CD's created successfully. But when we tried viewing some of the "larger files" (most are only a few hundred KBs but the larger ones are 20MBs) on some CD-ROMs the CD-ROMs coulnd't read that there was even a disk in the drive. Yet on other CD-ROM drives they could be read. I tested them out on 6 different computers. On three of them they wouldn't work but on the other 3 they would work. And they also worked on all the CDburners (everyone that has a CD burner has the same type) Could this be a problem cause we burned the files from a network drive? Or something else. All the computers except for one was using WindowsNT.4. 4 were PentiumII, one 166mhz Pentium and one 600MHZ PentiumIII.

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Some older CD-ROM's don't read CD-R's or CD-RW's. Are any of your drive five years old or older? Your problem sounds exactly like you have some older CD drives.

Hellsbellboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hmm not really sure. I thought the CDROM drive on my 166MHZ computer at work would be old but the others I don't think are too old. When I get back to work on Monday I'll see if putting the info on the C: of the machine that is doing the burning will have any effect. Instead of burning it off the Network drive. It will suck to have to go back and reburn a bunch of CD's. Thanks for your help.

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If the CD's worked in half of your computers, then the problem is <b>not</b> the CD's. Burning CD's off the network drive has nothing to do with your problem. Look to the computers that they didn't work on for the problem.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Some older CD-ROMs have trouble reading CDs burned at higher speeds.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://zidane222.cjb.net" target="_new">http://zidane222.cjb.net</A></b>

G

Personally, I would never burn over the network. If the network slows down for any reason, you could get burned, no pun intended :). But I agree with the others, it's most likely your CD drives are old.

Just for kicks, try burning the same files off the network and then off the local computer.