REALLY confused about building computer

delcontesolomon

Reputable
Jul 20, 2018
Hey guys,

I used this forum to buy parts for a computer I'm trying to build (huge thanks to everyone that assisted me)

The parts have now come in and I am now unboxing them. I am INCREDIBLY confused.

I am trying to start with the motherboard, and it has a lot more parts than I thought it would. I also looked up a youtube video guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zQXFkzZ1Ac and it says that I need thermal paste to install a CPU fan. really confused about this. Do i even have one of these? do I need one?

here is my build:
PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Vr7gzY
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Vr7gzY/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($249.00 @ Walmart)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Taichi ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($212.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($170.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU650 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card ($484.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($81.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer - GN246HL 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor ($179.99 @ B&H)
Mouse: Logitech - G600 MMO Gaming Mouse Wired Laser Mouse ($44.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $1812.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-28 14:55 EDT-0400

I was under the impression that all I needed was a screwdriver, and this seems to be a much more daunting task than I had previously thought. Any and all help greatly appreciated.

The Noctua cooler comes with thermal paste, the Toms guide gives good advice on how to apply it.

Here's a few extra tips on how to make the build go smoothly:

It's not particularly hard but there is some potential issues to bear in mind:

Static is an overrated risk, touching a radiator pipe/masonry wall or floor/AC vent is a good way to keep it at bay.

You'll need a few tools to make the build go smoothly: A good quality, magnetic Phillips screwdriver, either a pair of pliers or a suitable socket wrench to tighten the motherboard standoffs, possibly a pair of tweezers and a magnifying glass.

Work on a flat, stable and well lit surface that is free of clutter and has enough room around it to store the parts and empty boxes.

ALL the power cables will only go in one way, if one seems too hard to insert, check you have it correctly aligned.

That big 24 pin motherboard connector is always tight, lubricate the plug with a little petroleum jelly before trying to push it home with one hand while supporting the underside of the motherboard with the fingertips of your other hand.

It's easier to install to motherboard with the CPU cooler attached, it gives far better control to have something chunky to hold on to. Also lower it in at an angle so you can slide it into the rear IO shield before lowering it fully down onto the standoffs. In most cases that IO shield has a number of springy fingers on it that will push the motherboard a little ' forwards ' and out of alignment with the standoffs, attach a mounting screw to the 'driver, gently push the motherboard into alignment and start, but don't tighten that screw, repeat until all the mounting screws are started THEN tighten them firmly down.

Check the case and case manual, there's a 4 or 8 pin connector block on the motherboard, usually top left, and it's not always possible to route that cable from the power supply, behind the motherboard tray and out the top of it with the motherboard installed as the motherboard can block the exit hole, if you're in any doubt about this, install the power supply first, then route the 4/8 pin EPS cable then install the motherboard.

Sellotape and/or elastic bands can be great friends, use then to keep stray cables out of the way, especially when installing the motherboard.

General tips:

Allow plenty of time, don't rush, turn off your mobile and don't get distracted, if you have to move away from the build, finish the task you're doing then move away, never leave a task halfway through, it's an open invitation for Murphys Law to step in.

Apart from that big 24 pin power cable only the memory modules usually need some significant force to insert, everything else should go in easily.

Most CPUs have not only that tiny little triangle but small cutouts on the side that engage with little pips on the socket ( look on the edges of the CPU and you'll see two very small semi circular cutouts ), Intel parts just drop into the socket when correctly aligned.

DONT'T PANIC! If it doesn't start up first time you've probably made one of the embarrassing errors we have all made in the past so start with the basics: Is the power lead plugged in? Is the socket turned on? Is the PSU switched on? If yes, power down, disconnect the power cord wait a minuet to allow the motherboard to discharge then check the cables are fully home and in their correct locations.

READ THE MANUALS! It is essential for your first build to read and understand these documents, particularly the motherboard and case manuals.

When you read the instructions that come with the NH-D14, it will tell you how to mount the cooler.
You will get a tube of paste in the box that is good for several remounts in the future.

MY build process:

Before anything, while waiting for your parts to be delivered, download
and read, cover to cover your case and motherboard manual.
Buy a #2 magnetic tip phillips screwdriver.

1. I assemble the critical parts outside of the case.
That lets me test them for functuonality easily.
A wood table or cardboard is fine.
2. Plug in only the necessary parts at first. Ram, cpu, cooler, psu.
Do not force anything. Parts fit only one way.
Attach a monitor to the integrated motherboard adapter if you have one, otherwise to the graphics card.
3. If your motherboard does not have a PWR button, momentarily touch the two pwr front panel pins
with a flat head screwdriver.
4. Repeatedly hit F2 or DEL, and that should get you into the bios display.
5. Boot from a cd or usb stick with memtest86 on it. memtest will exercise your ram and cpu functionality.
6. Install windows.
7. Install the motherboard cd drivers. Particularly the lan drivers so you can access the internet.
Do not select the easy install option, or you will get a bunch of utilities and trialware that you don't want. Drivers only.
7. Connect to the internet and install an antivirus program. Microsoft security essentials is free, easy, and unobtrusive.
8. Install your graphics card and driver if you tested with integrated graphics.
You will need to remove the graphics card later to install your motherboard in the case.
Make a note of how the graphics card latches into the pcie slot.
The mechanism will be hidden under the card and may be difficult to work if you have not previously checked how.
9. Update windows to currency.
10. Only now do I take apart what I need to and install it in the case.
11. Now is the time to reinstall your graphics card.

delcontesolomon

Reputable
Jul 20, 2018
okay, so I'm now at the stage where I've gotten the processor installed, the RAM installed, and the fan installed.

I do not know what/how to connect the fans to. I'm also confused because the Noctua DH-14 comes with 2 adaptors, one is blue and one is black and I can't figure out which fan is the NF-P14 and which fan is the NF-p12

My assumtion is that the square one is the NF-P14 and the round one is the NF-P12

Please help