Question Really Low FPS in games with a ASUS RTX 2080 Super vs a EVGA 2060 SUPER

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Okay so I'm wondering for a minute why my FPS in games are so low. My wife and I like to play World of Warcraft (an online game you can play with a microwave oven) and she gets an average of 146ish FPS in high pop areas and I'm lucky if I get 65-70 FPS. It's 2020, and I should NOT get 70 FPS on a build SIGNIFICANTLY better than hers. My only guess is that my processor isn't the strongest enough or the greatest. It used to run to pretty hot 95+C on not even 18% load. I bought a liquid cooler for it and I got those temperatures down to 60c maxing all 8 cores on the i7 10700. Now that it's fall and our heat isn't working and it's less than 60 degrees in here right now this same processor is now not going over 35C on all 8 cores when I max with AIDA 64. No overthrottling no nothing (It didn't overthrottle after I put it on water either). My 2080 super had to be sent back to ASUS and by the time it got there it fried completely so they sent me an exact same refurbished card back. But ever since my FPS were the same 60-70 in high pop areas in WoW and 72 ish on heaven benchmark.

It used to not be this way, when I used to use my wife's computer I used to get high frame rates also usually an average of 140 FPS+ while gaming in 144hz and 120 ish in 165 hz. All maxed settings before my 2080 super died on the way to ASUS. My question is wtf is going on here? My wife has a significantly slower system than me yet gets double the FPS with a video card 40% weaker than mine? There's something not right here. So I decided for the hell of it to stick her 2060 super into my computer and see what happens. I only lost about 12 FPS in Heaven Benchmark and I got 61.5 FPS average. So maybe it's the video card? But, It's a brand new card sent from ASUS so how can that be the case? And I'd be stupid to buy another 2080 super when the RTX 3080 is miles and leaps better. But then again, I shouldn't have to wait and deal with these abysmal framerates either.... I had a better computer than this in the early 2010's... it's almost 2021 now for <Mod Edit> sake.

Her specs are:

Intel i7 9700k
ASUS Prime Z390-A
32 GBs of Gskill ram forget what kind. But they're almost 1,000 mhz slower than my ram and I didn't overclock them when it was hers like I did when it was my computer.
EVGA 2060 Super SC ULTRA
Samsung 970 EVO plus 500gb

My Specs are:

Intel i7 10700
ASUS ROG Z490-A
64GBs of Gskill DDR4 ram again, forget brand but its 3400mhz default and I haven't overclocked it yet.
Samsung 970 EVO plus 500gb
ASUS Dual RTX 2080 Super OC

My computer runs significantly better than hers outside of gaming so I honestly, don't know what the problem could be. I'm thinking its the processor and I should upgrade to a I9 10850k before they get to be as rare, desirable and expensive as the 10900k. But before I shell out $500 or $800 on a RTX 3080 when they come in stock I kind of want to make sure I'm fixing the right part. Because this build is just.... ughh...

Last edited by a moderator:
What BIOS version is currently installed on your motherboard?

What exactly do you mean by "3400mhz default and I haven't overclocked it yet"? Do you mean it is running at 2133mhz because you have not enable the D.O.C.P/XMP profile, or do you mean you HAVE enabled the D.O.C.P/XMP profile and it is running at 3400mhz, but you haven't tried to overclock it PAST that? Or are you unsure either way?