Realtek Ethernet LAN Card Stopped Working after Upgrade to Windows 10

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Atte

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Hello All,

I recently upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1. After that, my Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (ethernet) randomly stops working. After a reboot or "fixing" the problem, the card works for anywhere from 1 minute to 4 hours, then fails again.

Sometimes "failing" means that in control panel it shows that it is still connected, but doesn't actually work, (http://gyazo.com/5851e6acdc0b526947cc1e94b0038d12),

or other times it just shows that it is unplugged, when that is certainly not the case (http://gyazo.com/d154deef358776847419324d6a0306e3).

Troubleshooting the problem with Windows troubleshooter yields three errors, seemingly random when they each appear.

The three errors are "The Default Gateway is not Available", this error (http://gyazo.com/fd97077f10eaa6a637be32da61b94c3b), and then finally a DNS error that shows up on Chrome and the Windows troubleshooter (http://gyazo.com/4f80c18c329d4e10001d59a11db2bf58). The way the internet stops working is Chrome will stop loading web pages and give me a DNS error, shown in the most recent gyazo.

So far I have tried rebooting numerous times, (which USUALLY fixes it for a few minutes), troubleshooting with Windows troubleshooter, and changing the DNS servers to Google's (which I have now changed back to the automatic setting since my ISP, Time Warner Cable, isn't too happy about working on an external DNS server. I have also tried eight different ethernet cables, over two different networks and routers. All of this has begun after I upgraded to Windows 10.

I have tried three different drivers for the ethernet card; one from Realtek's website, one from my laptop manufacturer's website (Sager), and lastly Window's generic one, none of which have worked for me. It could be a coincidence, but it seems that if I have constant load on my ethernet card, it lasts for much longer without failing.

For example, I ran a test where I opened a live stream from twitch.tv and ran that for an extended amount of time. I have tried that 3 times, and every single time the card has not failed, with over 12 total hours of live stream watching in total now. Could be a coincidence, but I highly doubt it as the card usually fails within a few minutes otherwise. All replies are appreciated as I am extremely lost with this issue.

- Atte

Solution
I tested it for one full day now, in all circumstances without any problem. Before, I could reproduce it in less than 5 minutes. This proves that this solves the problem.

I shouold emphasize that I didn't decide to replace the corrupted driver with 9.1.401.2015.
It was the windows 10 task manager that installed that previous version automatically (after I removed the existing driver manually):
1. Go to the Device Manager-->Network Adapters
2. Open the RealTek adapter
3. Open the "Driver" tab
4. Uninstall
5. In the Network Adapters --> scan for hardware changes
6. And voilà, the correct driver version is installed for you!
Apparently, Windows 10 rolled back to the working driver...

Zambilel

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
OMG, after 2 weeks tring, i found the solution to this!!!

1. go to Device Manager -> 2. right click on Realtek driver "Properties" -> 3. on Realtek controller properties window select "Advanced" -> 4. select "Energy Efficient Ethernet" and turn its Value to Disabled

For me this worked with the latest driver!
Please let me know if this was helpful.

julietgreen

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017

Some time later I'm wondering if anyone found a real solution. I've tried most of these but find that my device manager hangs when I try to uninstall or roll back. I get 5 minutes of connection. I believe it's a windows 10 update issue but it's now past the 10 days for going back to a previous version! Maybe it's just time to ditch Microsoft since it seems they've done this without caring about the havoc they've caused.