Realtek Ethernet LAN Card Stopped Working after Upgrade to Windows 10

Atte

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Hello All,

I recently upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1. After that, my Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (ethernet) randomly stops working. After a reboot or "fixing" the problem, the card works for anywhere from 1 minute to 4 hours, then fails again.

Sometimes "failing" means that in control panel it shows that it is still connected, but doesn't actually work, (http://gyazo.com/5851e6acdc0b526947cc1e94b0038d12),

or other times it just shows that it is unplugged, when that is certainly not the case (http://gyazo.com/d154deef358776847419324d6a0306e3).

Troubleshooting the problem with Windows troubleshooter yields three errors, seemingly random when they each appear.

The three errors are "The Default Gateway is not Available", this error (http://gyazo.com/fd97077f10eaa6a637be32da61b94c3b), and then finally a DNS error that shows up on Chrome and the Windows troubleshooter (http://gyazo.com/4f80c18c329d4e10001d59a11db2bf58). The way the internet stops working is Chrome will stop loading web pages and give me a DNS error, shown in the most recent gyazo.

So far I have tried rebooting numerous times, (which USUALLY fixes it for a few minutes), troubleshooting with Windows troubleshooter, and changing the DNS servers to Google's (which I have now changed back to the automatic setting since my ISP, Time Warner Cable, isn't too happy about working on an external DNS server. I have also tried eight different ethernet cables, over two different networks and routers. All of this has begun after I upgraded to Windows 10.

I have tried three different drivers for the ethernet card; one from Realtek's website, one from my laptop manufacturer's website (Sager), and lastly Window's generic one, none of which have worked for me. It could be a coincidence, but it seems that if I have constant load on my ethernet card, it lasts for much longer without failing.

For example, I ran a test where I opened a live stream from twitch.tv and ran that for an extended amount of time. I have tried that 3 times, and every single time the card has not failed, with over 12 total hours of live stream watching in total now. Could be a coincidence, but I highly doubt it as the card usually fails within a few minutes otherwise. All replies are appreciated as I am extremely lost with this issue.

- Atte

Solution
I tested it for one full day now, in all circumstances without any problem. Before, I could reproduce it in less than 5 minutes. This proves that this solves the problem.

I shouold emphasize that I didn't decide to replace the corrupted driver with 9.1.401.2015.
It was the windows 10 task manager that installed that previous version automatically (after I removed the existing driver manually):
1. Go to the Device Manager-->Network Adapters
2. Open the RealTek adapter
3. Open the "Driver" tab
4. Uninstall
5. In the Network Adapters --> scan for hardware changes
6. And voilà, the correct driver version is installed for you!
Apparently, Windows 10 rolled back to the working driver...

kortewem

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015

hello atte,
having the same ethernet lan card and having the same problems, while wireless stays working.
Tried several drivers, even older ones but problem stays the same, very anoiing.

martin

Atte

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

Thank you! It seemed like it was just me with this issue at first, as I didn't find anything online about this issue.

kobe99

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015

I have exactly the same problem with the RealTek driver. Has anybody already contacted RealTek and/or Microsoft?

Atte

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

I have not. Judging by RealTek's ultra modern and very user friendly website, combined with their very frequent driver updates, (/s) I would say that they don't care at all. Worth a try, though.

Diganta Das

Distinguished
As mentioned above, others also have the problem. so it can be neither software nor physical. The drivers are causing the said problems. wait for updates either from realtek side or microsoft. It is the only fix, unless you go back to win8.1

kobe99

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015
I had the Realtek Driver 10.1.505.2015.
I uninstalled the driver and let Windows rediscover and re-install and it came up with the 9.1.401.2015 version.
THIS WORKS WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS :)

Atte

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

How long have you tested it? Have you rebooted multiple times? I have been fooled many times because a "solution" has worked for a few hours. Having a constant load on the network I have observed helps the card remain functional. How long has this worked?

kobe99

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015
I tested it for one full day now, in all circumstances without any problem. Before, I could reproduce it in less than 5 minutes. This proves that this solves the problem.

I shouold emphasize that I didn't decide to replace the corrupted driver with 9.1.401.2015.
It was the windows 10 task manager that installed that previous version automatically (after I removed the existing driver manually):
1. Go to the Device Manager-->Network Adapters
2. Open the RealTek adapter
3. Open the "Driver" tab
4. Uninstall
5. In the Network Adapters --> scan for hardware changes
6. And voilà, the correct driver version is installed for you!
Apparently, Windows 10 rolled back to the working driver...

Solution

Atte

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

I tried this but when I scan for hardware changes I get driver version 8.38.115.2015. Did you follow any other steps before doing this? I have the latest version of windows downloaded. What did you mean by "I shouold emphasize that I didn't decide to replace the corrupted driver with 9.1.401.2015."?

kobe99

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015
I meant that the Windows Device Manager decided to take version 9.1.401.2015 . I don't know were it retrieved that version from (from my local PC or from the Web, I don't know...)
Anyhow, you can find that version on the Web and install it explicitly on your system.
Once I found out that this version works well on my system, I noticed on several forums that this has helped others as well with similar problems...

Atte

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
kobe99, thank you for your solution. I had to manually select the driver in order for it to install, but now it works.

Here are the steps I took:
1.) Go to Device Manager
2.) Go to the Network Adapters tab
3.) Right Click on RealTek PCIe GBE...
4.) Left Click on Update Driver Software
5.) Left Click on Browse my computer for driver software
6.) Left Click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
7.) Select "9.1.401.2015"
8.) Click Next
9.) Success

wcsd45

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
Ethernet disconnecting randomly. Windows 10 Pro via ISO on USB from W8.1. Checked out router, switches, cable and all are okay.

Using Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. Driver version 10.1.505.2015 constantly disconnecting. System would report no internet connection. Wireless (Killer 1525) would reconnect and be solid connection until ethernet would reconnect seemingly randomly

Decided to rollback Realtek driver to version 9.1.401.2015, which was one of four driver versions listed on machine. Ethernet now stable with no random disconnects. Used same steps noted by atte. Kudos.

In all cases, KIller 1525 card always maintained solid AC connection.

wassmer

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
Same problem with NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI Chipset. Uninstall drivers and autoinstall does not work!

I liked win10 but was incompatible with some of my hardware and did not allow me to stream from any folder - so I rolled back to win 7 pro 64 only to lose LAN connectivity completely. Troubleshooter just stoically states that there might be a problem with my networking controller and regardless what I am doing and how often I install the motherboard drivers and updates it does not go away. I really do not want to go through a clean install - any suggestions???

Tom

enigma121

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2012
i ve spent the last week scouring the net via a 7 inch tablet trying to to figure out why the hell i cannot connect to the internet via Ethernet
i recently upgraded from win 7 pro to win 10 pro and last Sunday my entire connection just dropped
the info i got is a lot of folk are having the same problems, with connecting the common problem being, no issue with other devices ,just win 10 pc s.
i tried to update my network adapter and windows wouldn't let me, even after downloading the relevant package onto my tablet and transferring it over ,windows said my driver installed is the most recent.
in the finish i resorted to repairing my avast anti virus program and hey presto it worked pc rebooted and i ve connection since
hope this is of help to someone , as i know how bloody frustrating this problem can be

Lord-Pewon

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
Well, to solve win 10 lan problem, try go to Device Manager & check the Device Status @General. If it says Update BIOS... just go to your laptop vendor's site..e.g HP, DELL.
Download the latest BIOS and install, it should restart your system when done & you will have you lan driver installed.
It worked for me.
(though at the site, I downloaded Lan driver, Lan card reader & BIOS... & then installed them in the same series..... it restarted my system when done & I couldn't believe it fixed my Lan issue)..
I thank God!

ClaireMarie

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016

ClaireMarie

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016
I am experiencing the same. Wireless fine. Ethernet appears down with no internet access, although properties indicate activity. Dell had no updated drivers for Win 10, so downloaded Realtek drivers from their site. Rebooted, reset router, blah, blah, blah.....still not resolved.

Resolved: Ran troubleshooter, which normally does nothing, but although it was not fixed by it, it did report that DHCP was not enabled. Enabled DHCP and all is well.

Ash_BMW

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
Windows 10 update KB3141032 has killed my Ethernet, WiFi works fine but no matter what driver i select my internet lasts for a few minutes then shows as limited connectivity or simple no internet connection.

I've tried all my drivers right back to 2013 but all have the same issue so its not driver related its the Windows Update.

Samantha_20

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016
I contacted Microsoft and did a remote session with them. This is what they did to my computer and my ethernet has worked for 3 days straight, no problems what-so-ever.

Sometimes, you may just need to reset your TCP/IP. This can easily be done at the command line in Windows.
go to Start->Run. Type “cmd” and press enter. A command window should pop up. Then type “netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt” and press enter. You will then have to restart your computer

you have to run the Command Prompt as an administrator. To do that, just type “cmd” in your start menu’s search bar. Right click the “cmd” icon that should come up and select “Run as administrator.” Then type the same as indicated above, press enter, and restart.

TheEdCase

Commendable
May 7, 2016

So far that seems to be working for me, after several other 'solutions' didn't.

Thanks!

Ray

TheEdCase

Commendable
May 7, 2016

Alas I spoke too soon. After a couple of days the problem simply returned. The reset seems at best a temporary solution.

Ray

TRENDING THREADS