Realworld benchmarking

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i know that there is benchmarking software that will give you a number and that will kind of tell you how good a computer is. however i want something more real world.

i am asking this because my little brother is playing oblivion on a quad core computer and hd 4something50 ati card at 1024x768 and the game runs like crap with no AA

while my computer with over all lesser hardware but better cpu plays games flawless at 1920x1200.

i want to see if there is a hardware problem, and i want to start with benchmarks.

is there any good method to do this besides looking at the fps and installing the same game on 2 computers and going to the same spot?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i will when i can, is there any kind of good graphics test i can do and run fraps in it?

my computer is xp so im limited to dx9,

is there some kind of, i dont know, looping 3d object that incorporates most of what if not all of what dx9 was capable of?

i already got fraps going, i just need something to test it in, and i dont want to rely on games that have variables like oblivion

You said you test oblivion,so how much FPS did you get and how much did the other PC get ? also as i said please post system specs please

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
his computer and all the specs are in his room, cant get to them from here. but with oblivion, when it was on my computer a long time ago, it didnt chug, but on his he is getting 16 or less fps alot of the time, i never bench marked it for my computer so i dont know about how well it will run on mine, but it was smooth, and i know i had a cpu bottleneck.

when im able to post more i will.

ill wait to post my specs after i get his too.

4745454b

Titan
A "4 something 50" could mean a DDR2 based 4650. If so, I would expect low Oblivion scores. More so if there is a 4350 and he has that in his system. He would also have problems if he has a heat issue, or virus on his machine, etc. More details about what you and he both have as well as settings, temps, etc would be nice.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i put the computer together as a Christmas present, but my memory is crap, i couldn't remember if it was a 8 or a 9.

he has a 4850, i cant find the rest fo the boxes, and im tired. ill run cpuz and give you full specs when i wake up, maybe a bit later.

I REMEMBER NOW

the whole reason that the graphics chugging came up in the first place. i got him a quad core athlon, i believe 620 or close to that number, and from what i saw it was more powerful than my p4 in every conceivable aspect, and he was only thinking of running older games, and he wasn't getting a monitor that was native higher than 720p, he was getting my old crt, i decided that that would be more than good enough, plus when he did something that required more cores to preform better he would have a cpu that can handle it.

but when when i saw the game chug, i was trying to think if i made the right choice, or should i have went with a phenom II dual, or what ever the one that costs 100$ is.

but even than, my old p4 gforce 6800 could play oblivion with out frame rate hic ups, or at lest without such sustained ones as he has.

so before i kick myself in the ass for getting the athlon over phenom, i want to make damn sure that it isnt a hardware problem, an os problem, or something he did.

which is the reason i want to compair mine to his. my gforce 6800 with a phenom II x4 955 to his quad athlon with a ati hd 4850.

he has the better graphics card, i have the better cpu... well he also has better ram, but that is kind of a moot point in games now, there are bigger things that effect it before the ram, right?