Question Rear and Side ports have weird audio no matter what speaker i plug in it.

Oct 20, 2022
I just installed my 5.1 audio setup, when i noticed the rear speakers had weird audio, you could hear the song in it but voices we're very soft or not even there with the sound sounding like it went through a very strict noise suppression, i tried other speakers, or putting it in the side speaker port but the only speakers working well in 5.1 were the front and subwoofer/center speakers.
whenever i put my audio to mono in settings all speakers work well again.
I don't use any adapters, every port for 5.1 surround sound is built into my motherboard

My system hardware specs:
MB: MSI Z490 A-PRO
CPU: I9-10900K
RAM: 1x32GB Kingston hyperx fury DDR4-3200CL16
GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is some TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) mismatch.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Also include audio related hardware: speakers, headsets/headphones, etc. Make and model information. How connected - devices, plugs, ports.

Any adapters?

First, right click the small speaker icon normally located in the right lower screen corner. A multi-item menu should appear with multiple menu choices that all, in turn, lead to other windows, tabs, and properties. There should also be a troubleshooting option.

Start by running the troubleshooter.

Then explore all of the other windows and options. Look first and do not immediately change anything. Keep notes regarding anything that is not as you expect or otherwise astray in some manner. Then go back later to investigate further and make any change that seems warranted. Change only one thing at a time and again keep notes so you can go back and undo some change that went astray.

Could also be an audio cable problem - faulty cable or some physical connection mismatch(s).

FYI:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

Oct 20, 2022
My thought is some TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) mismatch.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Also include audio related hardware: speakers, headsets/headphones, etc. Make and model information. How connected - devices, plugs, ports.

Any adapters?

First, right click the small speaker icon normally located in the right lower screen corner. A multi-item menu should appear with multiple menu choices that all, in turn, lead to other windows, tabs, and properties. There should also be a troubleshooting option.

Start by running the troubleshooter.

Then explore all of the other windows and options. Look first and do not immediately change anything. Keep notes regarding anything that is not as you expect or otherwise astray in some manner. Then go back later to investigate further and make any change that seems warranted. Change only one thing at a time and again keep notes so you can go back and undo some change that went astray.

Could also be an audio cable problem - faulty cable or some physical connection mismatch(s).

FYI:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/
I updated my post to include hardware specs, I do not feel that its important for me to mention what speakers i use as this problem occurs to any speaker with any cable if I plug it into the RS or SS port, I've tried a lot of different cables.

Ralston18

Titan
All speakers then.....

Appears then to be narrowing down to the motherboard ports themselves.

= = = =

Were you able to run the audio troubleshooters and likewise double check the audio configuration settings via the small speaker icon?

Late thought: any mixers of any sort: hardware or software? (There is a volume mixer. Under Device, look for and click the small downward pointing arrow.)

Try reinstalling all relevant audio drivers.

Then as a sort of last resort, run "sfc /scannnow" and "dism" to find and fix corrupted or buggy Windows files.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

The key is to methodically test and try combinations to determine what works and what does not work.

Either directly or by elimination.

Could be some sort of "perfect storm" situation where "A" works and "B" works but "A and B" together does not work.

Oct 20, 2022
All speakers then.....

= = = =

Were you able to run the audio troubleshooters and likewise double check the audio configuration settings via the small speaker icon?

Late thought: any mixers of any sort: hardware or software? (There is a volume mixer. Under Device, look for and click the small downward pointing arrow.)

Then as a sort of last resort, run "sfc /scannnow" and "dism" to find and fix corrupted or buggy Windows files.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

The key is to methodically test and try combinations to determine what works and what does not work.

Could be some sort of "perfect storm" situation where "A" works and "B" works but "A and B" together does not work.
I'll try those things tomorrow as i'm on phone right now, i dont think it would be a hardware problem, as all problems stop when i change my pc sound to mono in the sound settings.

I ran a troubleshoot for sound earlier today and got nothing.

Oct 20, 2022
All speakers then.....

= = = =

FYI:

Hi, I've been distracted for a while and forgot about this.

I'm not sure but I think sometimes the RS port would work if nothing is plugged into the green port port.
I'm also thinking of resetting my operating system anyways, as my computer has a clipboard hijacker (spams clipboard with bitcoin wallet address) which are very hard to detect.

Ralston18

Titan
Oct 20, 2022
More information:

https://quoramarketing.com/where-to...s-out-cs-out-l-in-l-out-spdif-out-and-ss-out/

However, if your computer is compromised in some manner then you may end up going in circles.

Not "reset": full, clean, Windows reinstall.

FYI:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366

Is all important data backed up at least 2 x to other locations and proven recoverable and readable?

Has that data been scanned for viruses, malware, etc.?
Hi, I’ve done reinstalls of windows before, so I know the process.
I’m probably doing it this weekend or the one after, I’ll see.

I just installed my 5.1 audio setup, when i noticed the rear speakers had weird audio, you could hear the song in it but voices we're very soft or not even there with the sound sounding like it went through a very strict noise suppression, i tried other speakers, or putting it in the side speaker port but the only speakers working well in 5.1 were the front and subwoofer/center speakers.
whenever i put my audio to mono in settings all speakers work well again.
I don't use any adapters, every port for 5.1 surround sound is built into my motherboard

My system hardware specs:
MB: MSI Z490 A-PRO
CPU: I9-10900K
RAM: 1x32GB Kingston hyperx fury DDR4-3200CL16
GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X
What is the source material that you are listening to? You seem to indicate that its music, which would normally be in stereo. What makes you think you would hear anything at all from the remaining 4 channels if there is nothing on those channels in the source material? You would need to use some sort of surround sound imitation software to hear something on the other channels if there's nothing on those channels at the source.

Oct 20, 2022
What is the source material that you are listening to? You seem to indicate that its music, which would normally be in stereo. What makes you think you would hear anything at all from the remaining 4 channels if there is nothing on those channels in the source material? You would need to use some sort of surround sound imitation software to hear something on the other channels if there's nothing on those channels at the source.
It was an mp3 file which does support all channels,
And as I said somewhere in this thread, there is sound coming from the rear speaker, but it sounds weird, some voice gets a through but its muffled.

It was an mp3 file which does support all channels,
And as I said somewhere in this thread, there is sound coming from the rear speaker, but it sounds weird, some voice gets a through but its muffled.
With most true 5.1 material (e.g. movies, tv shows), the voices are all on the front center channel so the only vocals on the other channels would be acoustic reflections from whatever room (e.g. concert hall) the vocals and other channels were recorded in. If you have a link to this mp3 file I would like to open it in a multichannel audio program (e.g. Audacity) to examine each of the 6 channels' content.