Question Reason for sub-par fps on my 1080?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

someonehelp

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Hey guys, I got myself a 1080 a little while back and honestly I've never tried to run it on much hard. But I recently picked up the battlefield games again and noticed I was taking fps pretty hard.

Then I realised this was happening for any slightly challenging game.

I have tried a few things:
-drivers uninstalled and reinstalled with latest
-ensured it's receiving enough power.
-made sure I'm using the correct pci slots
-obviously monitor it's plugged into the gpu not the motherboard
-nothings overheating
-I ran timespy and got a score that made sense for my specs.

I can knock down the settings all I like and slam down the resolution and still it tanks pretty hard. It gets maybe 10fps extra on low in 1080p than the amount it does on high in 2560x1440.

I'm not sure if I'm bottlenecking somewhere or something. Honestly I'm not amazing with PC parts and this is my second ever self made PC build. Some help would be appreciated.

• GTX 1080
  • i5-8600k
  • Gigabyte Z370p D3
-16gb DDR4 2400MHz

My windows 10 is saved on an SSD and I've notice no issues with background software. Though I don't seem to be able to actively monitor my CPU usage when in full screen games cause one monitor.

I've disabled all the background process I can.

Any other ideas?

someonehelp

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Are you familiar with how to get in BIOS?

You have an unlocked chip and Z series motherboard. The 8600K is quite easy to put a very mild OC on without having to change much.
I would ask if you have a half decent cooler. Is your case getting good airflow and it's vents filters clean....if currently so, leave your side panel off for this experiment. If the filters/vents are dirty, clean them and you can choose to leave panel on or off.

You will have to check your specific manual for where these items are but Gigabyte make this stuff pretty straight forward.
Without changing the voltage, change your multiplier up to 46.
See if XMP will allow you to load a 26xx profile for your RAM
save changes and exit...no worries as if it is an issue at all it will just blue screen, you can boot back to BIOS and "default" in that same screen you save an exit from.
side note...do the multiplier increase first. Perhaps try x45, see if it boots, then x46. If it then boots fine move on to the XMP profile that way if you do blue screen or restart you know what caused it.

See if you don't see an improvement from that.

For more reference, with some other changes you should readily be able to OC that chip to 4.8 or maybe a bit better. I would suggest doing some reading about the power states and load leveling, etc. Just stick to a simple one first and see what happens. Watch your temps.

someonehelp

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

You have an unlocked chip and Z series motherboard. The 8600K is quite easy to put a very mild OC on without having to change much.
I would ask if you have a half decent cooler. Is your case getting good airflow and it's vents filters clean....if currently so, leave your side panel off for this experiment. If the filters/vents are dirty, clean them and you can choose to leave panel on or off.

You will have to check your specific manual for where these items are but Gigabyte make this stuff pretty straight forward.
save changes and exit...no worries as if it is an issue at all it will just blue screen, you can boot back to BIOS and "default" in that same screen you save an exit from.
side note...do the multiplier increase first. Perhaps try x45, see if it boots, then x46. If it then boots fine move on to the XMP profile that way if you do blue screen or restart you know what caused it.

For more reference, with some other changes you should readily be able to OC that chip to 4.8 or maybe a bit better. I would suggest doing some reading about the power states and load leveling, etc. Just stick to a simple one first and see what happens. Watch your temps.

Yeah, I can comfortably clock up to 4.7 and stay stable. My bios lets me auto clock to that. It's all good, but, it still tanks to 100%

someonehelp

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Does single play produce the same performance results?
Runs better but defo doesn't work as intended.

I see very mild improvement, but unfortunately i still get to 100%. There's clearly some other issue

someonehelp

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
So far I've taken all suggestions as they come. My CPU is overclocked to 4.7ghz and it still reaches 100% on any slightly challenging game. I'm dropping frames hard and nothing seems to be working.

someonehelp

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Just as another side curiousity, what do you get from a userbenchmark?
Does anything come back as out of place low performance?

I know it's not the crème de la crème of tools but it's useful in it's own way.

I will do this when my isp decides I'm allowed internet again.
Could you link this to me? I'm sure I can find it but I don't wanna accidently grab one with bloatware

someonehelp

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Results:
Everything but my RAM seems to be performing okay... Can RAM bottleneck a CPU?

RAM says:
Performing below potential, ensure that a dual+channel XMP BIOS profile is enabled.

Gonna go look for that dual channel XMP BIOS

I'd post an image but I'm getting picked up for spam for some reason.

someonehelp

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Yep found and enabled it, I'm about to run the userbenchmark again
My hard-drive performed poorly in two tests, but i realised my device had started an automated defrag. It runs fine again. RAM performance has not changed but thankfully.

My new RAM literally just arrived. It was meant to arrive Thursday, very nice.

Will update

someonehelp

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
New ram refusing to run at 4000mhz without failing to boot, looking into it, any ideas?
Well, this seems to help A LOT. My cpu is reaching pretty high percentages still but the FPS sits comfy at 70 even in combat. I'm happy with that, but I still feel the CPU is under performing
slightly so anything else would be appreciated.

someonehelp

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Alrighty. I'm gonna update my bios today. I'm pretty sure I need a USB for that and I haven't had a USB in years. Gotta find one.

The ram seems to stabilize everything and frankly I'm quite happy with a solid 71 fps with everything on ultra and high. I've seen it run on about 90 with the same settings and gear which leads me to believe there's still an underperforming part. I assume it's my disk drive having a slow transfer speed.
I'll keep looking

Reactions: King_V

someonehelp

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Ok friends, bios updated and I have some bad news. It no longer boots with my 4000mhz xmp profile. I have another thread running for this. I'm on version 11 and it refuses to work on the 4000mhz and hard crashes on the lower profile. Makes me have to CMOS reset.

My plan of action now is:
-continue attempting to clock the ram manually. (Help appreciated)
-Change bios to a higher version
-revert to old bios
-anything you guys can think of

TRENDING THREADS