Reasons Why Firefox Could Become a Top Browser Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I don't see Firefox doing much of anything. I think their user base is what it is. Chrome looks to be the bigger mover. IE users are hard to sway from any other browser. You will always have those that just accept what they get. As long as IE is bundled with Windows. Many will just use IE.

computernerdforlife

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
As a stock investor, I'd take that graph with a grain of salt. Firstly, I almost fell off my chair laughing at the fact that Firefox is going to just JUMP out of nowhere in the graph(conveniently). People who write like this are referred to as pumpers (people who speak positively on certain aspects of the company in the hopes of turning it around). Pumpers exist for all companies, regardless of how good/bad they're doing. Example: YellowMedia shares dropped over 95 percent in one year. stockhouse.com will show in their forums people saying "Yellowmedia has phenomenal value. They'll make big money..." blah, blah, blah,...

If you don't believe me, then believe that any company can spike like Firefox does in that graph and jump into the stock market. You'll make me richer thinking stupid like this.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Glares at IE-only websites

Look, you lazy website operators. IE6 no longer has a 97.34% market share. 2003 has flown past quite a while ago.

And for those who can't even code their websites to work on IE7 or god forbid, IE6, you deserve to burn.

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
I don't know if you guys are aware that you can install addons on Chrome, and some of them are for privacy issues on the internet and the Chrome itself.
I have I.E Chrome and FireFox in my PC, and I use Chrome most of the time. I used to be a FireFox user, but somehow they let the ball drop ;s

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Why I switched from firefox to chrome.

Firefox works fine and well, one day prompted to update, and so I do. Afterwards, firefox will not run on the dedicated graphics card on my laptop (gt 525m), it crashes constantly. After a number of updates firefox now works. However, it is buggy as hell, text looks terrible, and there are constant patches of flickering black (screen chunks will flicker from normal to black and back again). I still have this problem today (just tested it now) and have sent mozilla multiple error reports. I am not impressed.

Chrome works fine.

Get it together mozilla.

synd

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
I've been a FF user pretty much since I started using internet 6 years ago. I've been very happy with the browser until 2011 where I couldn't stand the bugs and crashes. I switched to Chrome and I can't say that I was happy with it in the start but I use it till today because it got better overtime because of the many, many updates.
FF on the other hand are really slow with updates and probably that's why the felt behind.
Still as a FF lover I installed the latest build last week and opened a random youtube flash video - it crashed like in the good old time. Well, seems like I'll stick to Chrome for now :/

It's simple math, Google can outspend both Microsoft and Firefox combined, and devote all the R&D needed to build a superior product.

I have nothing against Firefox or IE, and I hope they get off their butts then maybe - who knows?! However, frequently I'm Google'ing so it's in your face. Further, at least for forum work IMO Chome is the best; it keeps getting only better and without all of the bloat.

Most importantly, I hope Firefox does make a concerted effort for a better browser and I hope the 'Browser Wars' continue = I, You, We All WIN with better Browsers! ;)

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Only one reason for me:
Because all other browsers have yet managed to increase in crappyness! Making browsers less safe, MUCH slower, and less reliable, all for compatibility sake!

[citation][nom]whyso[/nom]Why I switched from firefox to chrome.Firefox works fine and well, one day prompted to update, and so I do. Afterwards, firefox will not run on the dedicated graphics card on my laptop (gt 525m), it crashes constantly. After a number of updates firefox now works. However, it is buggy as hell, text looks terrible, and there are constant patches of flickering black (screen chunks will flicker from normal to black and back again). I still have this problem today (just tested it now) and have sent mozilla multiple error reports. I am not impressed.Chrome works fine. Get it together mozilla.[/citation]
do a full uninstall and reinstall of FF and possibly a graphics driver update and it should fix you right up.

I switched over to chrome because once upon a time it was faster and had a much simpler UI. FF now has a simple UI and runs much faster, but still nothing 'new' to win me back over.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Well I'm still using FF and have no intention or desire to switch to Google. Google is the flavor of the day and it has a fanboys, but I'm not one of them. I've been using Firefox for quite a few years now and have always been happy with it. It has made wonderful strides in the past year and it appears to be on track to become even better over the next year or two. I have full faith that the people who were going to drop it already have. So growth is going to happen.

And I think that a lot of people who say it has no resources are freaking clueless. It is still the portal to the internet for over 25 percent of the people who use the internet and that is certainly worth something quite valuable.

speedemon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I love Firefox, I just went to Abine.com and downloaded the do not track FF addon, It lets you know who the website is trying to share your data with and blocks them. Yahoo.com had 2 trying to track me, various other sites had ~4. This site has 30. wtf toms.

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
To be honest, I've enjoyed using Firefox recently, but it doesn't play nice with my touchpad scrolling, so I don't use it very much except for those few web apps that Chrome mangles beyond belief.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I like Firefox and Chrome equally. Opera is nice, too! IE, however, can take a flying leap off a cliff and go straight to hell for all I care.

osaeed88

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
If you like firefox guys, you should really try out Palemoon! its custom-built and optimized Firefox browsers for Windows Operating Systems.

They even have a x64 stable version.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
The thing is, I'd like to use firefox, but since it's so a bit slow on my netbook (win7 64-bit, AMD E350), I use Chrome there. Unless they catch up, they're going to loose me as a user of their browser entirely. As it is, I use Chrome instead of Firefox on my laptop for that reason.

leeashton

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]I think these numbers are skewed because of all the security features on FF.[/citation]
you mean the lack of security, FF has a massive memory leak they openly admitted "we don't know how to fix" I will NEVER use a browser from a bunch of inept coders like firefux

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Reasons Why Firefox Could Become a Top Browser Again? ADBlock Pluss is one of them... adblok is on chrome and opera too, but works better with firefox...

[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]...I hope the 'Browser Wars' continue = I, You, We All WIN with better Browsers![/citation]

Sure, competition does lead to better browsers. However, as an application developer, I also see how developers and testers have to spend lots of extra time to make sure the application works on IE, FireFox and Chrome now.

Sometimes this means you have to drop features, or take more time, or charge more for the application. All bad for the user who wants to buy that application today. The developer will lose too, because higher prices lead to fewer sales, and taking more time hikes costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.