Jun 26, 2023
I was doing some work on my PC and left the room to grab a drink - when I came back, my computer had restarted itself which I'm assuming means it crashed. Now, there is a message that says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device". I have 2 M2 devices, a Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Windows installed on this one) and a WD Black SN850 2 TB for extra storage. I built this PC back in 2021, and everything has been working just fine up until this happened the other day. I tried reseating my Samsung M2, no luck. I tried taking my WD M2 out and trying to boot with just the Samsung, no luck. I removed the battery out of the motherboard to do a reset, no luck. It recognizes the Samsung M2 just fine in the bios as well so I don't think it's an issue with the SSD? The motherboard I am using is ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX.

BIOS settings: CSM = Enabled, my boot priority is correct, OS Type = "Other OS", and Boot Device Control = "UEFI and Legacy OPROM".

I would greatly appreciate any help as I am at a complete loss of what next steps in troubleshooting / resolution would even be.

Jun 26, 2023
You can try to create a windows recovery media or windows to go using a USB drive, then enter and check if your system disk files still exist, if you can't open the system disk, it means your SSD is corrupted and it is usually caused by firmware corruption.

gpumarketonfire

Prominent
BANNED
Nov 8, 2021
I was doing some work on my PC and left the room to grab a drink - when I came back, my computer had restarted itself which I'm assuming means it crashed. Now, there is a message that says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device". I have 2 M2 devices, a Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Windows installed on this one) and a WD Black SN850 2 TB for extra storage. I built this PC back in 2021, and everything has been working just fine up until this happened the other day. I tried reseating my Samsung M2, no luck. I tried taking my WD M2 out and trying to boot with just the Samsung, no luck. I removed the battery out of the motherboard to do a reset, no luck. It recognizes the Samsung M2 just fine in the bios as well so I don't think it's an issue with the SSD? The motherboard I am using is ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX.

BIOS settings: CSM = Enabled, my boot priority is correct, OS Type = "Other OS", and Boot Device Control = "UEFI and Legacy OPROM".

I would greatly appreciate any help as I am at a complete loss of what next steps in troubleshooting / resolution would even be.
your boot sector is corrupted. there are ways to fix it but best option is a format.

Jun 26, 2023
your boot sector is corrupted. there are ways to fix it but best option is a format.
Alright, I do have all of my data backed up - so I probably will just do the format option. Pretty certain after running some more commands within cmd of windows bootable that my m2 is bricked. CHKDSK resulted in "drive is write protected", and I tried to run the command to remove write protection and it failed. Research online indicates that that is a result of my m2 failing. I have run across multiple other forums of people with the Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus running into very similar issues. I will try to format and go from there.

Jun 26, 2023
Got a usb m2 reader and have that hooked up to a laptop. Running chkdsk /r and seeing a lot of "A disk read has occurred. The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters." I think this confirms what you were saying about sectors being corrupted.

gpumarketonfire

Prominent
BANNED
Nov 8, 2021
Got a usb m2 reader and have that hooked up to a laptop. Running chkdsk /r and seeing a lot of "A disk read has occurred. The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters." I think this confirms what you were saying about sectors being corrupted.
unlucky senario really, it's interesting, boot sector can be corrupted too, nothing is too safe.