Reboot and select proper boot device on first boot

mart22

Prominent
Feb 11, 2018
I've built a PC and on booting it doesn't recognise a boot drive, and I can't get into bios. This is the message:

Reboot and select proper boot device
or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

Components:
msi B350 Tomahawk
Ryzen 1500X
16gb Corsair RAM
Samsung M.2 250gb Evo
Sandisk SSD
2TB HDD

At first I had the M.2 installed only on booting. I thought the problem might be the M.2 so connected the SSD and HDD. However, still getting the same result. Bios doesn't see a boot drive, and I can't get past the message.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Solution
Turn on computer.

Immediately press the Delete key 20 times as quick as you can. It usually will tell you which key to press to enter setup which is aka BIOS which has grown into UEFI.

Have you read this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems.

Is your OS drive set to be the first device that boots?

mart22

Prominent
Feb 11, 2018

I can't get into bios. It doesn't recognise any drives are connected.

mart22

Prominent
Feb 11, 2018

I should be able to enter bios and set the boot order. I can't. On turning the PC on bios can't see there is any drives connected, presumably it can't complete its POST. It's the PC's first boot.

mart22

Prominent
Feb 11, 2018

There is nothing on any of the drives yet. I will install the OS using a USB.

mart22

Prominent
Feb 11, 2018

Yep, that did it. It's an embarrassing one:eek:

My excuse is it's the second PC I've built using a MSI board. On booting the first one it went right into bios. And that welcome screen is up so briefly I could barely read it ... ahem ...

Thanks so much. I really appreciate the time you, and the other posters, have taken to fix my problem

TRENDING THREADS