Question Reboot and select proper boot device

Aug 11, 2019
Help, my computer wont boot after. Putting my laptop to sleep, then closing the lid. When i got back from school, i was greeted with "Reboot and select proper boot device". So, i tried going to BIOS, and selecting the Hard Drive, except, there is no Hard Drive to select, only a DVD RAM. So, i tried using a Windows 7 DVD (please note that i use Windows 8.1), i see that my hard drive is shown, with the space taken, as if an operating system was installed. Next thing. i checked if my HDD was connected. It was connected fine. So, is there any way to fix this? Or am i eternally screwed?

My Specs:
Windows 8.1 Pro
8GB RAM
Intel Core i7 (2.20ghz)
Intel HD Graphics
ASUS Laptop PC
700GB HDD

Aug 11, 2019
The HDD doesn't show up in the boot menu? That is very strange - especially if the installation process can see it.

Could you post a screenshot of the BIOS, showing the boot menu options?
lpXbH19.jpg

and then this View: https://imgur.com/a/q9pR2bc

Mar 21, 2020
Help, my computer wont boot after. Putting my laptop to sleep, then closing the lid. When i got back from school, i was greeted with "Reboot and select proper boot device". So, i tried going to BIOS, and selecting the Hard Drive, except, there is no Hard Drive to select, only a DVD RAM. So, i tried using a Windows 7 DVD (please note that i use Windows 8.1), i see that my hard drive is shown, with the space taken, as if an operating system was installed. Next thing. i checked if my HDD was connected. It was connected fine. So, is there any way to fix this? Or am i eternally screwed?

My Specs:
Windows 8.1 Pro
8GB RAM
Intel Core i7 (2.20ghz)
Intel HD Graphics
ASUS Laptop PC
700GB HDD

I actually have a very similar system Core i7 Dell XPS 9100, except I am on Windows 10....
same symptoms almost verbatim, and the funny thing is that this is something I've been working on in a nearly identical time frame as well. By the way, I have an old computer with windows 7, I tried removing all drives on the computer in question and seeing if booting from the drive I know works fine (Win7 boot OS HDD from my other pc), so I really don't think this is a HDD issue. In addition to the notion, with all of the drives out as I mentioned, I used AOMEI and other drive diagnostics on ALL of my drives (3 HDD's and 1 SDD from the problematic computer) and they passed all tests.

What I am thinking here, given all of that -- I have likely ruled out the possibility of a drive malfunction -- and also, my error is just like yours in an almost identical time frame --

The question I now have after reading your post is: could our problems be related to some recent Windows update?
I was able, on another drive to boot into Windows just one time, and I haven't been able to again after that. That makes it look more like some sort of hardware failing issue rather than some kind of Windows update lock down.

The last thing I remember doing prior to my PC working fine was: I was playing a PC game off of this computer remotely (using NoMachine on my laptop) -- Path of Exile -- and I hadn't played the game in a good while and was up pretty late in the AM playing it. I remotely turned the game off and portaled out of the computer and went to sleep. I did not turn the computer off. I never do though.... in the morning it was from at the Windows user login screen and I could only do a hard reboot. I did the file repair thing and that is precisely when the problem started for me just a couple weeks ago here like you. No matter what OS I try to boot up from known to be working drives (and not just windows 10, I've tried windows 7 and linux as well), they all just stall at the loading screen.

EDIT: I also tried swapping the PSU with a better one yesterday. All the same problems. Seems like the new PSU isn't getting as hot as the other, but I think all I really did was rule out this being a power supply hardware issue.

Today I am going to run to the store and grab a couple new ram chips just to test out is mine went bad.
I'm not really sure after that, but I'll keep you updated.
Let us know if you figured it out, I have a feeling we might have the same issue.