Question rebuilding a Dell Inspiron N5040

Elliotfish

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
I could use some help. I bought an old Dell Inspiron N5040 . It has no OS and what appears to be a new Samsung 850 EVO installed and 8 GB of RAM I installed. ON boot up the screen is very dim. Also when I tried to install Windows 10 on the SSD it's stuck on the opening Windows logo. It then shuts down. And once when I tried again after logo I got BSOD with "kernel Security Failure" and then it tries to boot into Windows again. I tried installing with USB and then Windows installation disc with no luck. Can anyone give me some idea what's wrong and what to do? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I've read a few things on the Microsoft website on what to check for but I have no OS. Thanks. CPU is an i3 M380.

Lutfij

Titan
Also when I tried to install Windows 10 on the SSD it's stuck on the opening Windows logo.
Where did you source the installer for the OS?

As a side note, can you go into the BIOS for your Dell laptop and see what BIOS version you're on at this moment of time?

I bought an old Dell Inspiron N5040
There's not much you can do with it in 2022...even if you get that SSD up and running the specs to the laptop alone isn't going to cut any cheese in 2022.

CPU is an i3 M380.
It's not listed in the supported CPU's list for the OS, mind you;
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ed/windows-10-21h2-supported-intel-processors