Question Recently upgraded GPU and need to know what PSU I should get to stop the crashing ?

Which PSU does your unit have, as in, what is the model and how many watts is it? If you do not know, look on the specifications label on one of the sides of the PSU. That might mean having to unscrew it from the case so that you can turn the PSU to see the label if it is on a side that isn't visible.

This will be important because likely you are going to have to hope there is a larger Dell OEM model available since I think this may be a proprietary form factor power supply and I am pretty certain that it uses an ATX 6 pin power cable to the board instead of a 20 or 24 pin ATX cable. Indications are that these Nitro 50 units do use proprietary power supplies. That means, you may not be ABLE to just buy an aftermarket unit and put it in there.

It's possible that MAYBE, if it isn't a proprietary form factor, you can get by with buying a standard ATX PSU and a 6 pin Dell to 24 pin ATX PSU adapter cable, but if it's a proprietary form factor then you'll have to stick with whatever Dell offers that will fit your case and board.

Dec 8, 2022
Its 500 watts I believe, but it doesn't have stickers that I know.
Do they all have stickers?

Pretty sure the unit is this one:

Acer DX6795 Internal PSU Power Supply 500W DC.5001H.001 DC.5001B.009

So, that is a Chicony D19-500P1A which IS an ATX form factor from what I can see but it does have the 6 pin Dell power connector instead of the 24 pin ATX. You can use a standard ATX power supply, preferably a shorter one as that one is not very long and you might have some space constraints inside that case because of the lower drive cages but you WILL need to get a 6 pin Dell to 24 pin ATX adapter cable.

What country are you in?

Dec 8, 2022
So, that is a Chicony D19-500P1A which IS an ATX form factor from what I can see but it does have the 6 pin Dell power connector instead of the 24 pin ATX. You can use a standard ATX power supply, preferably a shorter one as that one is not very long and you might have some space constraints inside that case because of the lower drive cages but you WILL need to get a 6 pin Dell to 24 pin ATX adapter cable.

What country are you in?

I don't have a 24 pin connecter on the motherboard tho

So, there is also a problem using those 24 pin to 6 pin Dell adapters, and that is that the PSU won't ever fully shut off unless you flip the switch on the PSU after shutting down. The system will shut down but there will still be power from what I've read. If you're ok with that I can recommend a PSU and point you in the direction of an adapter. You might want to look into it a bit more. This is exactly the problem with proprietary hardware and exactly why we always recommend building your own systems or at least making sure the prebuilt system you buy does not use proprietary hardware.

I would first check with Dell to see if they have a direct replacement that would not require adapters and is higher than your 500w unit.

The 24 pin adapter is for the 24 pin connector that will be on any standard ATX power supply and the other end is a Dell 6 pin that will plug into the 6 pin socket on your motherboard.

Dec 8, 2022
Well, I have a 750 watt power supply (that is a spare one) that I think would fit, this spare one has a 24 pin motherboard connecter, would I be able to use this in my computer with the converter you were talking about?

That depends on what your definition of "lagging" is, and yes, a lack of adequate clean power CAN cause lagging, and every other kind of issue you could ever experience on PC hardware because ALL PC hardware relies on the power supply. If the power supply is unable to properly do it's job then other hardware will also struggle to do their jobs as well. There is not ANY kind of problem on a PC that I have seen that at some point I have not also seen being caused by a power supply. CPU, memory, graphics card, storage devices, even the motherboard itself, can all seem faulty or inadequate when there is a lack of adequately sustained clean power.

And the bottom line HERE is, the OP is totally correct that that Chicony "500w" unit is not adequate for the needs of his 2060 Super.

Reactions: P4TR1CK