Question Recommendation on gaming monitor for GTX 1080 Ti and i7-2600K

danil16

Honorable
Sep 13, 2017
Hi Guys,

I am looking for recommendation on gaming monitor.

Specs of my system:
  • GTX 1080 Ti
  • i7-2600K
  • 8GB DDR3
I play Total War Warhammer 3, World of tank, World of warships 99% of the time.

Price range is not set. I am planning to take my time and scout second hand market. It would be ideal if price is around $300-$500 for second hand one, but if there is a definite winner for my case, I would spend more.

Please let me know what would be your suggestions.

Thank you,

Ildar Rafikov

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
With the current CPU you probably would remain happiest on performance running something like a 1080/60-75Hz monitor, IMO.
A GTX1080ti can certainly run better than 2K/75, but honestly think the 2600K is a bit over the hill for getting the best out of that still quite relevant GPU. If you were going to spend $500 on that rig right now, I would suggest a new CPU/mobo/RAM combo and M.2 NVME boot drive. Even something lowly or mid range on the new market would run circles around that ancient great.

Reactions: danil16

danil16

Honorable
Sep 13, 2017
With the current CPU you probably would remain happiest on performance running something like a 1080/60-75Hz monitor, IMO.
A GTX1080ti can certainly run better than 2K/75, but honestly think the 2600K is a bit over the hill for getting the best out of that still quite relevant GPU. If you were going to spend $500 on that rig right now, I would suggest a new CPU/mobo/RAM combo and M.2 NVME boot drive. Even something lowly or mid range on the new market would run circles around that ancient great.
Agree. Are new processors and memory that much faster nowadays?

I am thinking if I should wait a bit in case there will be new faster processors in near future. Are you aware if there are new gen processors that are coming up soon?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You would be looking at double the single core performance and multithreaded performance has gone up by as much as 7 times. Depends on what you buy.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...-i7-2600K-vs-Intel-i3-12100-vs-Intel-i7-13700

But in the example above, even the lowest end current generation i3 is twice as fast as the i7-2600k.

Intel 13th generation launched last week, AMD's latest 7000 series launched a few weeks ago. This is it for a while. Intel's non K SKUs aren't out yet.

To me this does not make much sense, as resolution does not impact CPU load. In fact limiting yourself to a lower resolution would just exacerbate the mismatch since it just lowers the demand on the GPU. But GPU is what we have in excess, not the other way around.

My recollection is that the i7-2600K was quite happy to pair with dual 780 Ti SLI back in the day, which is equivalent to a single GTX 1080. A 1080 Ti is about 40–50% more powerful than that. So I don't think the mismatch is as dramatic as these posts make it seem, especially at higher resolutions like 1440p and 4K which will work the GPU harder. But of course, if you're going to buy a new monitor and also upgrade your CPU, you always have the option of just getting the monitor first and do some testing yourself to find out if your CPU is holding you back before you buy a new one, no need to rely on us. Unless you are really just itching to upgrade it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Agreed. A platform upgrade will be a big help to minimum frame rates and frame times, but the average FPS is mostly set by the GPU.

There might be some newer games that are facing a PCIe / System Memory bottleneck without ReBar and PCIe 3.0.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
@Glenwing I agree with the premise of what you are saying, particularly in regard to a well matched pairing. Also recollect that the 2600K was released in 2011. I hate to use the term "bottleneck" as it really isn't that simplistic, but in order to get the frames the CPU has to be capable alongside the GPU. The 2600K was a titan in its day, but that has been long gone.