Recommendation on good LAN game

I recently set up a home network. My desktop is pretty decent, but the other
machine is primarily a work laptop (P3 or 4 1.5, 1 GB RAM, 32 MB video).
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good game (preferrably RTS or FPS)
that will run decent enough on both machines and that I can play with one
set of media and key? I tried running C&C Generals Zero Hour earlier. It set
up OK and looks good, but it has a problem with both machines using the same
serial number. I don't plan to paly on the internet at all. My primary
opponent is my 10 year old son (he's pretty good though).

Thanks,

Jitz

We always turn to starcraft for RTS because of the multiplayer spawn
with one cd (also it's darn fun free for all) at LANs.

The original quake can be run from the same install, you just copy the
folder over.

graham

I think Rise of Nations will run on one key. You can use a no cd crack
from gamecopyworld to get around the media part. I wish more games would
do what Starcraft (now that is another great LAN game that still works!)
did in allowing guest users in LAN's. It's like having to buy 4 sets of
Monopoly to play with your kids.

Graham

"Jitz" <jitz@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I recently set up a home network. My desktop is pretty decent, but the
>other machine is primarily a work laptop (P3 or 4 1.5, 1 GB RAM, 32 MB
>video). Does anyone have a recommendation for a good game (preferrably RTS
>or FPS) that will run decent enough on both machines and that I can play
>with one set of media and key? I tried running C&C Generals Zero Hour
>earlier. It set up OK and looks good, but it has a problem with both
>machines using the same serial number. I don't plan to paly on the internet
>at all. My primary opponent is my 10 year old son (he's pretty good
>though).

It's neither an FPS or an RTS and you can't run it with a single key, but I
ran Lan-Diablo with my 10 year old and we had a blast.

dfs

On Thu, 12 May 2005 09:03:43 +0200, Graham <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

>I think Rise of Nations will run on one key. You can use a no cd crack
>from gamecopyworld to get around the media part.

The no-cd isn't necessairy - just eject the disk as soon as it's finished
after the initial check.

There aren't many games that need the CD in at all times, but they do
exist. (For example, StarCraft or other games that need the CD at all
times.)

Jitz wrote:

>I recently set up a home network. My desktop is pretty decent, but the other
>machine is primarily a work laptop (P3 or 4 1.5, 1 GB RAM, 32 MB video).
>Does anyone have a recommendation for a good game (preferrably RTS or FPS)
>that will run decent enough on both machines and that I can play with one
>set of media and key?

Heroes of Might and Magic III is neither RTS or FPS, but fits all your
other criterias: It's good (and then some), it runs on your hardware
(and then some), and it allows two players pr. purchased game in
multiplayer net play.