Question Recommendations for a new Local HTPC with 4k support ?

Manlybunny

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2016
So recently I finally finished creating a 8tb drive full of legally obtained (shout-out to yts) movies and TV shows for local access cause my OCD cannot stand buffering when I'm streaming. I made the mistake of not researching for a mini PC that supports 1080p & 4k output on a 4k TV and bought a PC with an archaic Celery Stick n3350. As I should've known this CPU drops frames even on 1080p videos after 30 mins playback and convulsive stuttering on 4k playback. 2 weeks later I'm now in the market for a new semi modern - modern mini PC that supports playback of 1080p/4k x264/x265 playback. I'm Looking at intel Pentium mini PC's (long live the Pentium), n95 or n100 CPU's. I'm looking for a NEW mini PC that is in the price range of $100 - $200 that guarantees acceptable playback of high res content and any recommendations will be accepted. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Order 66
Solution
I've had reasonable luck with Chuwi products.

Basically if you are defining the SoC, then they are all going to be quite similar. Just have to look at form factor/size and the I/O they have broken out.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023

Basically if you are defining the SoC, then they are all going to be quite similar. Just have to look at form factor/size and the I/O they have broken out.
Chuwi, I know I've heard that name before... That's right, LTT did a video featuring one of their laptops. I've heard that they are a decent lower-cost laptop manufacturer.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I wouldn't be surprised if they also make a cheap laptop using the same SoC and boards they make for their mini-PCs.

Not really sure who the true OEM for these things is, but you can get a lot of the same products branded from all kinds of companies. Chuwi I think designed the Larkbox at least, not sure about any of their larger units.

Manlybunny

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2016

Most likely I'll go with the Larkbox X N100 (https://store.chuwi.com/products/larkbox-x-2023)
btw since you've had experience with Chuwi, how is your experience with they're BIOS's across the board? Are they configured to be locked down and basic like an OEM BIOS or can I actually do some neat tweaking in the BIOS? Just curious and thanks again.

I'm now in the market for a new semi modern - modern mini PC that supports playback of 1080p/4k x264/x265 playback.
I'm looking for a NEW mini PC that is in the price range of $100 - $200 that guarantees acceptable playback of high res content and any recommendations will be accepted. Thanks in advance.
Just for video playback?
Get Apple TV 4k. Install Plex on it and play videos from your pc.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, the difference between something like an Apple TV/Roku/WD TV etc and a Windows/Linux PC (Or Raspberry Pi or the like) is that you can control the device yourself.

For example, Smart TVs and display boxes all come with a software support lifetime that you don't know in advance. At some point you have to treat it as a dumb screen because it either isn't supported, they have changed contract agreements with whomever, or it simply isn't fast enough.

Besides, a mini-PC could very well be the PLEX server in question and perform double duty.