[SOLVED] Recommendations for a router with arleast 1.5g WAN and LAN ports

Oct 1, 2020
Does anyone know of a wireless router that has a 1.5g or better WAN T-base (regular ethernet cable) and at least one high speed (1.5G+) LAN port.

I just got a 1.5gps connection and need a router that can handle that speed.

Before anyone asks, yes my PC does have a port to handle up to 5Gbps

Solution
What do you mean "interface standard" the wire that comes from the modem is just a cat 6E.

The modem is bell home hub 3000 which is a Sagecom Brodband SAS Home Hub FAST 5566 as far as I know.
I believe your "1.5Gb" number is just marketing. I don't believe you can get that number on ethernet with the Home Hub 3000. Even the Bell CA web page has a footnote for the speed -- https://www.bell.ca/Bell_Internet/Products/Fibe-Internet-Gigabit15-FTTH
"Assuming optimal network conditions. A wired connection and at least one additional wired or wireless connection are required to obtain total speeds of up to 1.5 Gbps with Gigabit Fibe 1.5. "

kanewolf

Titan
Does anyone know of a wireless router that has a 1.5g or better WAN T-base (regular ethernet cable) and at least one high speed (1.5G+) LAN port.

I just got a 1.5gps connection and need a router that can handle that speed.

Before anyone asks, yes my PC does have a port to handle up to 5Gbps
There are a few that support 10GE.
You really need to understand HOW your ISP is providing more than 1Gb. It could be a single 2.5 or 10GE cable. It could be an aggregated pair of 1GE cables.
What does this router need to connect to on the WAN side?

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Oct 1, 2020
It connects directly to the modem through a normal ethernet cable.
There are a few that support 10GE.
You really need to understand HOW your ISP is providing more than 1Gb. It could be a single 2.5 or 10GE cable. It could be an aggregated pair of 1GE cables.
What does this router need to connect to on the WAN side?

It connects directly to the modem through a normal ethernet cable.

Oct 1, 2020
OK, what is the model of the modem? Nothing you have provided so far says what interface standard is required ...
What do you mean "interface standard" the wire that comes from the modem is just a cat 6E.

The modem is bell home hub 3000 which is a Sagecom Brodband SAS Home Hub FAST 5566 as far as I know.

kanewolf

Titan

I believe your "1.5Gb" number is just marketing. I don't believe you can get that number on ethernet with the Home Hub 3000. Even the Bell CA web page has a footnote for the speed -- https://www.bell.ca/Bell_Internet/Products/Fibe-Internet-Gigabit15-FTTH
"Assuming optimal network conditions. A wired connection and at least one additional wired or wireless connection are required to obtain total speeds of up to 1.5 Gbps with Gigabit Fibe 1.5. "

Solution
Oct 1, 2020

Wired directly to the PC (no router) I can get 1.3Gbps Innever expected to get the full 1.5Gbps I need a new router anyway because mine only supports up to " N" I would like to get one with AX spec so figured I would find one to take the 1.5Gbps+

kanewolf

Titan
Wired directly to the PC (no router) I can get 1.3Gbps Innever expected to get the full 1.5Gbps I need a new router anyway because mine only supports up to " N" I would like to get one with AX spec so figured I would find one to take the 1.5Gbps+
The Bell Home Hub 3000 is an AC WIFI source. You shouldn't need another router.
I would not recommend an AX router at this point. With WIFI6e (6Ghz band WIFI) soon to be released, I would wait.

What link speed was shown by windows when you connected directly ?

Last edited:
I know some asus routers have 2.5gbe. Here's how to configure it for WAN: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1043654/

Cheapest one is probably going to be the RT-AX86U but since it only has 1 port, you wouldn't be able to wire anything else higher than 1gbps. I would want at least two 2.5gbe ports on the router so I could connect a computer directly to full speed, or an external switch to expand that connection to more computers.

Last edited:
If you could give us a picture of exactly how your HH3000 is connected to the fiber, that would be helpful?

You might be able to get a fiber to 2.5/5/10gbe converter if they're using an SFP port plug. It would be a simple plug and play affair, but according to others you would need to do VLAN tagging to 35 and plug in your own router with a faster port.

At this level, it's going to be hard to find a full fledged All-in-one router to do what you need. The asus AX89X has two 10gb ports. 1 is SPF+ , the other is 10gbe ethernet. You shouldn't need a media converter for this router, but it's a $450 router. I would buy it from Amazon or somewhere you know you can return it if it doesn't work. If it does work, it'll give you the full speeds you're looking for.

I think the homehub he is using is a gpon connected fiber modem/router. If it is gpon then it is impossible to replace. Even if it were technically possible I am sure the ISP somehow locks it similar to cable modems so you can't just hook it up yourself without paying for a service.

This guy had an SFP adapter on his Bell HH3000, it was easy to replace his router/modem. The SFP transceiver was what is registered to Bell. Like I said, we really need to see pictures to see what exact the OP has on his modem/router. Many fiber ISP's are going this route with the SFP because they don't have to provide a modem and then a separate router. They can just have it all in 1 device.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXAF-fQJHqE