Question Recommendations for a Wi-Fi 6 or 6E Extender for AT&T Fiber

Ellowas

Commendable
Aug 26, 2020
I recently switched from Mediacom to AT&T Fiber, and I'm looking for an extender to fill in a dead zone causing constent drop-offs in a corner of my home by creating a meshed network.

When I was with Mediacom, we were given two Eeros—Pro 6s or Pro 6Es (I'm not sure which)—that did a fantastic job of extending my network and eliminating disconnections unless they were from the ISP itself.

However, due to other reasons regarding billing, I switched to AT&T Fiber, for its 2 Gbps internet speed and unlimited data plan, and had to package and send those efficient Eeros back to Mediacom.

Before I settle with just buying my own Eero, if anyone have any to share, do you have recommendations for what kind of extender I should purchase for my home based on my plan? My modem is an AT&T BGW320-500.

(Also, before any potential lecturing begins... I understand that I won't have perfectly mirrored speed through any form of wirelessness, and I am not able to get a wired/coaxed extender in my home. There are too many walls, appliances, and furniture between the locations where I previously had both Eeros. I am absolutely positively fine with a wireless extender.)

Last edited:
You will not be able to run any kind of "mesh" system with att router.

Att wifi router is pretty good have you tried it. Their newer model is wifi6e and has as good coverage as any other router.

Although I have not looked at it recently you should be able to use pretty much any repeater/extender that uses the somewhat standard WDS. I think the ATT router supports WDS.

No way to predict how well any of these will work. It depends more on your house and where you can place the repeater.

Ellowas

Commendable
Aug 26, 2020
Att wifi router is pretty good have you tried it. Their newer model is wifi6e and has as good coverage as any other router.

Although I have not looked at it recently you should be able to use pretty much any repeater/extender that uses the somewhat standard WDS. I think the ATT router supports WDS.
The modem router or an actual standalone router that's supposed to connect to the modem? If the former, that's what I have. It's just not in an ideal location that's unfortunately the only location it can be in.

If the latter, do you have a link to one I can read? As for AT&T's extenders, a sales representative that came to my home and helped me get switched over from my old carrier to their service advised me to buy an extender from a retail store since I would have to pay $10/month for theirs.

I went to their website to verify, and they were most likely referring to this (price is near the bottom of the page). I would rather buy to own than pay to rent anyway.

Almost all att boxes are routers. They are pretty bad about forcing you to use their equipment and not allowing you to even place their box into true bridge/modem modem. I doubt they force you to only use their repeaters.

Hard to say for sure without reading the documentation but I suspect they use WDS like every other repeater/extender. This would mean any extender will work. It is likely though you must configure the ATT router to have the mac address of the device that is allowed to connect via WDS. WDS is considered a security violation so many routers have this limitation.

TRENDING THREADS