recommendations for an amd-based board PLEASE

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tanya

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Derek Baker wrote:

> "kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:35:00 -0500, Tanya
> > <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:
> >

> >>thank you, kony...
> >>that is good to know now and not later... that's the only onBoard video
> >>based board i can find so i guess i'll go agp (it's been around longer)
> >>are you familiar with this one?
> >>SOLTEK K8TPRO-939 ATHLON64 S939 K8T800 DDR AGP 5PCI SATA RAID SOUND
> >>1000LAN MOTHERBOARD
> >>i've read 2 good reviews...
> >>thanks
> >>sincerely
> >>Tanya
> >

> > I dont' know anything about that board, it looks interesting
> > but i suggest that Asus, Abit, MSI and Gigabyte are the top
> > brands and *usually* the safest bets. If the cost
> > difference is large enough though, might be a worthy
> > candidate, I don't know.
> >
> > You might be able to get a lot of feedback from fellow users
> > of particular boards at web forums like
> > http://forums.pcper.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90
>
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=%22SOLTEK+K8TPRO-939%22+review&meta=lr%3Dlang_en%7Clang_fr
>
> I'd agree with kony about the best brands though: I've had MIS for my last
> tow and they've been fine.
>
> --
> Derek

hi Derek,
thanks very much for the advice and for the search link! it's great -- read many reviews which are very
useful!
often there were comments on its stability, and many features for a very low cost.
but i certainly appreciate the advice about soltek vs. asus, msi etc.
sincerely
Tanya

JohnS

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

> the retailer i will use told me to 'stay away' from gigabyte (GIGABYTE
> GA-K8NS ULTRA)
> i don't know much about that brand...

I do. I have maybe 1200 Gigabyte mobos up and running
across this University. I've tried all the rest, and they were
unstable .. especially the ASUS mobos. I've tested all
of them fairly, and I know what I'm talking about. If you
want a nice stable system ... good tech support .. and
even better warranty support, I recommend the plain
vanilla K8NS with the nVidia3 chipset. About the hard
drive, make sure you get a Maxtor with the 3 year
warranty ... you are gonna need it :)

johns

johns wrote:

>> the retailer i will use told me to 'stay away' from gigabyte (GIGABYTE
>> GA-K8NS ULTRA)
>> i don't know much about that brand...
>
> I do. I have maybe 1200 Gigabyte mobos up and running
> across this University. I've tried all the rest, and they were
> unstable .. especially the ASUS mobos. I've tested all
> of them fairly, and I know what I'm talking about. If you
> want a nice stable system ... good tech support .. and
> even better warranty support, I recommend the plain
> vanilla K8NS with the nVidia3 chipset. About the hard
> drive, make sure you get a Maxtor with the 3 year
> warranty ... you are gonna need it :)

Funny, how the billions of systems built using Asus boards and Asus has
developed a reputation based on word of mouth of being the most stable and
reliable brand, yet your "scientific" evaluation says different? I doubt
it. I've built Gigabyte, Asus, Soyo, and MSI based systems, and so far,
Asus has been the best, bar none.

--

Registered Linux user #378193

"Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
> johns wrote:
>

>>> the retailer i will use told me to 'stay away' from gigabyte (GIGABYTE
>>> GA-K8NS ULTRA)
>>> i don't know much about that brand...
>>
>> I do. I have maybe 1200 Gigabyte mobos up and running
>> across this University. I've tried all the rest, and they were
>> unstable .. especially the ASUS mobos. I've tested all
>> of them fairly, and I know what I'm talking about. If you
>> want a nice stable system ... good tech support .. and
>> even better warranty support, I recommend the plain
>> vanilla K8NS with the nVidia3 chipset. About the hard
>> drive, make sure you get a Maxtor with the 3 year
>> warranty ... you are gonna need it :)
>
> Funny, how the billions of systems built using Asus boards and Asus has
> developed a reputation based on word of mouth of being the most stable and
> reliable brand, yet your "scientific" evaluation says different? I doubt
> it. I've built Gigabyte, Asus, Soyo, and MSI based systems, and so far,
> Asus has been the best, bar none.
>

> --
>
> Registered Linux user #378193

Ditto.

Ed Cregger

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> what operating system...what programs do you run(other than the card
> games)?

Well here is a short list..

WinXP Pro SP2

Adobe Photoshop CS (texture work)
Paintshop Pro 9 (texture work)
Rhinoceros 3D CAD
Lightwave CAD
Maya CAD
HalfLife2 Counterstrike
Star Wars Republic Commando

As you can see, I do quite a bit of graphics work.. and I do play a few
games to relieve tension... I actually mainly mess with a little Java applet
for playing GO online.

Have a good one!

"Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> Morituri-|-Max wrote:
>
>> "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
>>
>> > thanks,
>> > is there any problem in using 1 video card? or are you using 2?
>>
>> Oh yeah, saw another post about nforce problems (possible) with the new
>> AMD64s you were responding to.. personally the A8N-SLI board I have uses
>> an
>> nforce4 chipset and so far I have had ZERO detectable problems with them
>> working together.
>>
>> Seeya
>
> thanks for the information (re: the nforce4) and the other posts' info re:
> the
> sli)
> i have to look at the ASUS A8N-SLI board again -- it does sound good...
> thanks,
> sincerely
> Tanya

Good Luck in your Holy Quest! Heh....