recommendations for headphones

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
totally agree... but running an mp3 from an ipod that little bit of difference wil hardly be noticed. You would have to run lossless first. ;) Thought I would just keep it simple on his budget... but you are right and the total truth is prb better, my bad.

and ya, I game w/ a pair of plantronics for both the speaker and mic quality. Headroom as I said does not (yet) carry mic-equipped phones. And ya, price may be a bit more, but I dont mind paying for better service w/ most things. I have a pair of senn's for my ipod that I got from them and love 'em. I went for portability w/ a sacrifice of some quality...

rock on man.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I'm in the same boat but I've read that to get the most out of some of the sennheisers you need an amp. Does anyone know of a cheap amp that will work with computers? The cheapest I could find were $200 so they'd cost more than the head phones.

halcyon

Splendid
One of the things I've been wondering is how well headphones reproduce gaming positional audio, EAX, etc. With a high-quality audio card, capable of positional audio, do sounds meant to come from behind an individual do so, convincingly, when listening via headphones. I'm not a gamer (can't get into the current genre of games, really) so I'm just wondering. I'd also be curious if the quality of headphone has bearing on how convincing headphone'd surround-sound is or is just up to the audiocard? Do $15 headphones sound pretty much the same as $100 headphones when it comes to gaming surround sound. In a way, this does indeed relate to the original question so I'm not too far off topic.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
on the sound card end, yes... the card does all of the work. The cans just need to reproduce clear sound. Heavy bass speakers actually hurt the sound, so the really cheap ones do kinda suck there. The $15 mark you mentioned (usually) lays the bass on too much and muddies up the sound, so ya... better 'phones give better positional stuff. It is because of the clear dynamics though...

and the xfi is the mark to beat now on positional stuff... even w/ music it makes speakers truly have a nice soundstage. No more "middle of the head" sound point. Truely a thing to marvel at and behold. The upmix capability for mp3's is nice too, but not for everything (it can be turned off).

hope that answered ya...

halcyon

Splendid
The most economical headphone amp I'd recommend is $150...a HeadRoom Total AirHead (Total BitHead w/o the DAC)... http://www.headphone.com/products/headphone-amps/the-mobile-line/headroom-total-airhead.php

My Senn HD595's sounded REALLY good when playing through the Total BitHead. Its challenging to write or articulate what the audible difference is when coming through one of these amps vs. coming straight off the sound card without sounding more dorky than I might already. Bass was really tight with little unintended resonance, mids and highs smooth...not grainy sounding. Its like the music was more clear, as if I could pick out different instruments and sounds that were masked when coming straight off the sound card. I don't know if I'd agree that all Sennheisers need an amp to sound good. ...but an amp makes a difference. If one does the majority of their music listening out of headphones then I'd recommend an amp...but not for occasional use. As has been said, you can easily spend more on an amp than on an economical set of cans.

halcyon

Splendid
on the sound card end, yes... the card does all of the work. The cans just need to reproduce clear sound. Heavy bass speakers actually hurt the sound, so the really cheap ones do kinda suck there. The $15 mark you mentioned (usually) lays the bass on too much and muddies up the sound, so ya... better 'phones give better positional stuff. It is because of the clear dynamics though...

and the xfi is the mark to beat now on positional stuff... even w/ music it makes speakers truly have a nice soundstage. No more "middle of the head" sound point. Truely a thing to marvel at and behold. The upmix capability for mp3's is nice too, but not for everything (it can be turned off).

hope that answered ya...

It did. Thanks a bunch.

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Hey Chase.....I know what you said LOL...you said.....and I quote "bass QUALITY, not bass QUANTITY"....and the Bose head set DOES just that. I guess I didn't explain my perception properly.

What I really meant to say was that the Bose headset gives you a FULL rounded out sound field. ANd if you DID want a more "bassy" feel to a particular track....these ones will give it to you through the sound field selections that are available in your ipod.

The Bose Triports lean more towards heavy bass than they do accurate bass. I think you do not know what you are talking about, or have not heard better. They only have lots of bass...but even in this regard the Triports hit their limits fairly quickly. They distort bass plenty at moderately high volume levels. Not only that, the midrange is extremely lacking, and the high end is piercing and shrill. I have owned a pair for almost a year, and they're the biggest regret I have in regards to sound equipment. They sound decent if they're the first thing you listen to after having $15 headphones, but there are much, MUCH better options out there that you can get for 1/3 of the price.

Stop recommending Bose, people.

Mike995

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Go sennheiser they make the absolute best headsets in the world. The pc 160 SK's are a good choice for gaming and everything else for that matter, music sounds amazing also. The 160 SK's are insanely good for cs, you will be able to wall people as long as they arent walking, because you can hear exactly where everyone is. These may not feature sorround sound, how ever they sound like they do.

http://www.us.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=15268&vpn=PC160SK&manufacture=Sennheiser%20Electronics (usd)

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=15268&vpn=PC160SK&manufacture=Sennheiser%20Electronics (cad)

halcyon

Splendid
While I truly like the Sennheisers I own, I'm not sure I'd say they're the very best...especially since I also own a swift set of mid-range GRADOs. I'd like to hear whether or not the Senn HD650's ( http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufacturer/sennheiser/sennheiser-hd-650.php ) sound as good with the Zu Mobius cables ( http://www.zucable.com/mobiussenn/index.html ) as many rave about.

I was looking @ HeadRoom's site...you might be able to get a set of HD555's for around $100. That'd be pretty sweete.

twolfe18

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
i will say this:

if you want to spend $30 or less, buy SONYs, they are cheap and VERY COMFORTABLE, as well as having fairly good sound quality.

about $30, buy sennheisers. their higher end cans are great. i would definately recomend staying away from their lower models though, specifically the hd 202s, i got them and they were very tight on the ears and had poor sound quality.

i am now using 2 pairs, sennheiser rs 120s (wireless, for home/computer use) and a really old pair of sony mdrs ($20). the sennheisers have better audio, but they cost 80$, they are also very comfortable. i really like the open aire design even though i thought i would hate it. i have to admit though, the sonys are more comfortable, they are extremely lite and just wonderful to wear.

if i were you, i would go with any mid-range sennheiser can. i assume concealing your audio is not a priority for you, so i would definately recomend getting an open aire design set, they are very comfortable and have great audio.

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
thanks for all the help guys.... (lots of replies!)

i am sorry to say that my headphone funds disappeared!

i am going to have to wait about a month more before im able to make a purchase, and i guess i might as well wait and decide then

im going too bookmark this thread and review all of the replies once im able to buy some headphones!

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
This is for SIBA

I think I DO know what I talk about, and I know what I like. I am NOT saying however that the BOSE are the best.....I am merely posing a subjective opinion BASED on what I like..... AND as you can see... I did NOT use STATS or CONSUMER reviews to try and back up what YOU thought I was saying ...I believe you misunderstood me. If I led you astray it was only because you read my post, interpreted it to mean that Bose was the best, and took it as such. ......not my problem.

I have just always liked Bose for the sound quality and gave a subjective comment based on what I liked... that;s it.. sorry you were led to believe otherwise

halcyon

Splendid
This is for SIBA

I think I DO know what I talk about, and I know what I like. I am NOT saying however that the BOSE are the best.....I am merely posing a subjective opinion BASED on what I like..... AND as you can see... I did NOT use STATS or CONSUMER reviews to try and back up what YOU thought I was saying ...I believe you misunderstood me. If I led you astray it was only because you read my post, interpreted it to mean that Bose was the best, and took it as such. ......not my problem.

I have just always liked Bose for the sound quality and gave a subjective comment based on what I liked... that;s it.. sorry you were led to believe otherwise

There's nothing "wrong" with BOSE equipment. BOSE equipment simply colours the sound in a manner that BOSE research have found that their test subjects like. It's a popular type of sound with accentuated bass and treble, and many like that sound. Some are purists and can't stand the thought of their sound being equalized without them doing it themselves. If you like the way BOSE equipment sounds that's fine, as you're spending noone's money but your own. Can you do better for less? Surely, if you shop around and know what to look for. BOSE equipment is fun sounding, but not accurate, by any stretch. ...neither are those mini-bookshelf stereos that are so popular. As long as you know this about BOSE, enjoy their products. They're fun, IMO. ...as far as their headphones, though, its far too easy to do much better for less money. There's little reason, IMO, to purchase BOSE headphones when you can get better sounding Sennheisers, GRADO, and AKG sets...you just can't run down to your local Circuit City or Tweeter and get them. ...for a lot of people that fact is important.

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
This is for SIBA

There's nothing "wrong" with BOSE equipment. BOSE equipment simply colours the sound in a manner that BOSE research have found that their test subjects like. It's a popular type of sound with accentuated bass and treble, and many like that sound. Some are purists and can't stand the thought of their sound being equalized without them doing it themselves. If you like the way BOSE equipment sounds that's fine, as you're spending noone's money but your own. Can you do better for less? Surely, if you shop around and know what to look for. BOSE equipment is fun sounding, but not accurate, by any stretch. ...neither are those mini-bookshelf stereos that are so popular. As long as you know this about BOSE, enjoy their products. They're fun, IMO. ...as far as their headphones, though, its far too easy to do much better for less money. There's little reason, IMO, to purchase BOSE headphones when you can get better sounding Sennheisers, GRADO, and AKG sets...you just can't run down to your local Circuit City or Tweeter and get them. ...for a lot of people that fact is important.

I was providing feedback based on my experiences. I own a pair of the Bose Triports, and the OP asked about headphones. The simple fact of the matter is, as you've said yourself...there are much better options out there for the money. I also recall urging the OP to listen to headphones for themselves if possible to see which ones they preferred.

As for your statement about nothing being wrong with Bose equipment, that's also your opinion, which you are entitled to. As for my own experience, the triports I currently have in my posession are not the original, they were replaced by Bose because the originals had flimsy construction and the plastic clips that held the earpieces onto the band snapped off through regular, careful use. Again, my own experience, not based on online reviews or stats pulled from some website. They were replaced through warranty and the replacements were revised so that the headband is no longer as flimsy.

I don't really mind that you guys are flaming me to hell about being so against the OP buying the triports, but try to understand that I have my own reasons gathered from personal experience using the triports for the better part of a year. After buying the 7506s and doing side by side comparisons, the bass response (which the OP had as one of the features he was looking for) was muddy on the triports compared to the sonys, which had crisp bass. The triports bass extension is also somewhat lacking, with the deeper frequencies causing them to distort noticeably.

BOSE equipment is fun sounding, but not accurate, by any stretch. ...neither are those mini-bookshelf stereos that are so popular. As long as you know this about BOSE, enjoy their products.

That's what I'm trying to prevent here. The main problem I see is...many people just aren't informed enough about audio products to make a good decision. They are buying a product based on which company has the biggest advertising budget, not based on the quality of the products. I agree with you that Bose equipment can sound fun. This was not my point in arguing against the triports. The OP asked for clean bass, and did not specify a need for earthshaking levels of bass. I simply stated that the triports did not have clean, accurate bass. They have lots of bass. The way I see it, in the context of the OP's request, anyone that is recommending the triports isn't making a good suggestion. That's my opinion, from my personal experience.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
I actually dislike people who buy poor speaker equipment and then encourage other people to buy them "because it has 500W of RMS goodness OMFG and that means good sound quality."

At some point I realized this was a pointless crusade. Either they are going remain in their happiness is bliss world, or figure out for themselves what they are missing, and realize that claiming anyone who has better equipment is an audiophile is about as acceptable of an argument as a Honda Civic owners whove never driven anything else in their life to call anyone who has a better car as "only snobby carphile would want more."

It's one thing (and perfectly acceptable) to claim "it's not for me, I tried", while it's totally different claiming "what I have is best, I don't need any evidence" while shopping at Walmart or McDonalds.

Then again, this is THG forums, where the average age is double digit challenged. Crusades like this are like that of a basketball coach in South Cental trying to convince his Junior High Squad that they are losing because all they do is dunk and they can't hit a jumpshot to save their life. ("What the hell does coach know??)

halcyon

Splendid
Siba, you know I agree with you, and I have not and will not ever, "flame" anyone. That's for kids, of which I am not. ...and I'm far too ignorant about too many things to become arrogant. I simply don't dislike Bose equipment with the passion that some others express. To me, it's "okay", I just wouldn't recommend it. As for as the OP and clean bass? I'd recommend the GRADO SR80 or SR125. The SR125 cost the same amount as the Bose Triports but are a way better headphone, IMO. I had a pair of the Triports (the ones with the corrected headband). I liked them okay and Astrallite and others educated me on reality and got me interested in better gear. The Bose can't really compete very well with my current choices, its a different class of gear.

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
So what is this Grado headset you guys are mentioning? I live in Canada and I have never seen this set. Is it only available in the US?
or the UK...Lemme know and I'll check em out.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
...and I'm far too ignorant about too many things to become arrogant.

ahh... If only more ppl realized this about themselves the world (and this forum) would be so much better. :!:

I also am too ignorant and with far too many things become arrogant... wait, that did not come out right at all! :oops:

halcyon

Splendid
So what is this Grado headset you guys are mentioning? I live in Canada and I have never seen this set. Is it only available in the US?
or the UK...Lemme know and I'll check em out.

Well, if you can spend $150 I'd recommended the Grado SR125, but I've read that for $200 the Grado SR225 is a significant improvement over the Grado SR125, with better mids and smoother treble response. For more information check HeadRoom.Com ( http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufacturer/grado/ ). However, sticking to a more economical price of ~$100 the Grado SR 80's are nice. The Grado headphones are not as neutral as some others, and depending on your preferences, that may be a big deal. Grado's tend to offer a crisper treble response with more upfront & tight bass. Many that like rock, rap, techno, trance, might love the way Grado's make music sound, while if you're listening to orchestral music, their response might be fatiguing over time. That's a summary of what I tend to read about the Grados. I love the way they sound compared to my Sennheiser HD595's. The Grados really makes listening to music engaging and fun...to me.

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Siba, you know I agree with you, and I have not and will not ever, "flame" anyone. That's for kids, of which I am not. ...and I'm far too ignorant about too many things to become arrogant.

Alright, sorry I came across that way. I tend to get a bit zealous when trying to show others their errors. :)

I simply don't dislike Bose equipment with the passion that some others express. To me, it's "okay", I just wouldn't recommend it.

That's your opinion, which you are entitled to. I'm only anti-Bose to this extent because its my opinion that there are almost(if any) no [/quote]products Bose offers that isn't either a) a marketing gimmick or b) one of the worst choices to swing for at the price level. I've listened to their demo units etc at the Bose stores...after hearing better quality equipment, the Bose products don't really come close to anything in their price range, or even below their price range. It just really gets to me that this sort of marketing works so well. I almost wish I had thought of it myself. The secret to becoming rich beyond belief - create a product in a market where 95% of the consumers are entirely uneducated about what they're buying. Another thing to consider is...there is a certain level of training and/or experience that is sometimes required to hear the differences in the sound. Those two things combined make it easy to sell mediocre products at unheard of premiums.

I had a pair of the Triports (the ones with the corrected headband). I liked them okay and Astrallite and others educated me on reality and got me interested in better gear. The Bose can't really compete very well with my current choices, its a different class of gear.

I went through the same kind of epiphany. The way you put it couldn't have been said better.

I actually dislike people who buy poor speaker equipment and then encourage other people to buy them "because it has 500W of RMS goodness OMFG and that means good sound quality."

At some point I realized this was a pointless crusade.

Gotta start somewhere, I suppose. I'm theorizing that if I can "show the light" to just one person, they'll in turn do the same to others when confronted with the same situation. Hopefully it'll help loosen Bose' monopoly on the high end consumer audio market, and we'll actually get better options to listen to in retail stores like Best Buy, etc. Pipe dream, I know...but even if it doesn't work, if I can make just one person happy with a good reason to be happy, it's worth it to me.

It's one thing (and perfectly acceptable) to claim "it's not for me, I tried", while it's totally different claiming "what I have is best, I don't need any evidence" while shopping at Walmart or McDonalds.

That's exactly the problem with the audio market today, and it's also exactly the type of ignorance that works to benefit the marketing style employed by Bose. I can't agree with you more.

pb_and_james

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
I would recommend Sennheiser HD 280's (~$85 @ newegg). They have great sound for the price, are circumaural, closed, and fold up. They're very versatile and I speak from experience as a sound engineer (FOH). Also, they'll treat you nicely (I had to RMA a product) For long trips like on planes, Ultimate Ears super.fi 3s really fit the bill (<$100; look on froogle); excellent sound quality and IEMs really block out the sound. If not these two, go to Headroom (headphone.com) and they'll have pages of recommendations and you'll even be able to talk to someone who'll love to help you out :) .

Using an amplifier will help improve sound quality no matter what and especially will when using higher impedence.. (talk to headroom for more info).

And please, don't use MP3 format!!! It SUCKS. The only reason why it's so popular was because of a demand for a standard audio format without too much concern for sound quality. If your using an iPod, use AAC @160 or higher or even lossless.