Recommendations for LGA 1150 MB 130 dollar range?

Protectereli

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Originally I had assumed my CPU was messed up, so I purchased a 4790k (was using 4670k) and put it into my z97 gd65 MSI board, still nothing. Lights up, fans spin for a bit then power down. Has to be the MB correct? Going to try a PSU swap when I'm home but I doubt it

So i'm currently looking to replace my z97 board with another board that has 4 ram slots and supports the 4000 series of intel cpus.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Also if you know of a nice roomy case I would appreciate a recommendation, my current case barely fits my gtx 1070, would like a room upgrade.

Thanks!!

Specs
Z97 MSI gaming MB gd65
16gb DDR3 Ram
GTX 1070
650W Corsair CX series PSU
Intel core i7 4790k

Solution
Motherboard:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-GA-Z97X-SLI-LGA-1150-Intel-Z97-ATX-Intel-Motherboard/262774205578?epid=216188018&hash=item3d2e902c8a:g:l2AAAOSw5HJXKGrd

Case:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Acrylic ATX Mid Tower Case ($88.49 @ Amazon)
Total: $88.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-14 13:14 EST-0500

I've built several systems in the Enthoo Pro and Enthoo Pro M cases, and they are a dream to work in with plenty of space and lots of room for cable management. Very good quality as long as you aren't abused since they do use plastic parts just like every other...
Case is no problem depending on what your preferences are. Do you like the dual chamber cube style cases with high airflow? Windowed? Color scheme at all? Tempered glass? External 5.25" drive bays (These are becoming harder to find on many cases these days)? PSU shroud?

As for the motherboard, Z97 motherboards have been end of life for about two years now. Mostly nobody has been making them for around 2 years and what there is still available is commanding a rather steep premium. You might want to at least entertain the idea of getting a used motherboard and selling your current configuration to smooth over the cost of upgrading to a newer platform. That would of course mean that you'd need a new CPU, mb and memory so that's not something you're probably going to want to do at this time, but it's worth considering.

Since motherboard availability is so low, and prices are so high, I'm assuming you do want a new motherboard, what kind of budget are you willing to use for a board and case?

Also, for future reference, CPUs RARELY go bad unless they are abused somehow, have suffered due to an electrical issue like a massive surge, shorted component or lightning strike, have been seriously overheated or are physically damaged as with broken pins or are really, really old.

That's a poor quality board for Z97. It has low power phase and no heatsinks at all on the VRM components.

Protectereli

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

Not too picky about the color scheme internal drives are also fine, Airflow is a plus, the most important thing is actual space to me.

The MB doesn't have to be z97, I actually don't overclock so an h97 would be fine. Aslong as the CPU fits I'm fine. I already purchased the intel core i7 on ebay and the return process would be a hassle so currently just looking to get a decent MB that supports what I need.

MB budget anything less than 150.
For the case, anything less then lets say 90?

Protectereli

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

Oh yeah I know its supported, I suspect something broke on the motherboard or the motherboard just died.

I was having a problem where my CPU usage was 100% and i couldnt do anything on the PC, So I bought a new CPU , installed it, wouldn't power on for more than a few seconds, Swapped back to my old CPU and same issue. So im guessing the motherboard faulted out, troubleshot everything else.

Protectereli

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

Ugh yeah I actually knew this, but I use my PC so much for work and entertainment I just wanted to fix the problem ASAP, we were having power outtages from heavy winds and just kind of impulse bought a new one. Boo on me.

Motherboard:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-GA-Z97X-SLI-LGA-1150-Intel-Z97-ATX-Intel-Motherboard/262774205578?epid=216188018&hash=item3d2e902c8a:g:l2AAAOSw5HJXKGrd

Case:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Acrylic ATX Mid Tower Case ($88.49 @ Amazon)
Total: $88.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-14 13:14 EST-0500

I've built several systems in the Enthoo Pro and Enthoo Pro M cases, and they are a dream to work in with plenty of space and lots of room for cable management. Very good quality as long as you aren't abused since they do use plastic parts just like every other under 100 dollar case.

I'd suspect you could probably sell your i5 rather easily if you wanted, but it's always nice to have a backup for troubleshooting or use it to build a cheap HTPC or media server too.

Solution
if not overclocking, the one I picked is just fine. If dislike ebay, get this from newegg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157612&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

For case, any good sized mATX mid or ATX mid is good enough, get this then:

mATX:

https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=CA-MINIBKW&c=CJ

or

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1360813-REG/corsair_cc_9011029_ww_obsidian_series_350d_windowed.html

ATX:

https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=CA-FOCUSBW&c=CJ

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1065260-REG/cooler_master_rc_912_kkn1_haf_912_mid_tower.html

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854068&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Yes, at this point I wouldn't trust any of the questionable chipsets. It's likely to be very old stock that never sold and has never had the bios updated to a version that supports Haswell refresh. However, since he DOES have a Haswell CPU in addition to his Haswell refresh i7, that should not be a problem. He can use that to upgrade the bios and then swap CPUs afterwards.

Still, for that i7 I really wouldn't trust any of the low end business chipsets like H81 and most of the B85 models. They have poor power phase and no heatsinks. They are REALLY meant more for Pentium or i3 type processors and high core count CPUs like the i7 will severely test the voltage regulation and Northbridge components on these low end models.

Plus, if you're going to run a chip that generationally old, you'd best leave the option open for overclocking whether you think you need to NOW or not. Your opinion of that might change later when you realize that it's not nearly as capable as newer models AND have had a chance to look around, do some reading and realize that overclocking isn't a terribly difficult proposition anymore like it used to be. No way I'd want to run anything that old with bumping the clock up to about 4.5Ghz full time, but that's just me.

I agree that the Sabertooth boards are exellent quality. I have two of them. But I would not trust a used board that's almost as expensive as a new one.

As far as the G1 Sniper, that was a fairly decent board too, but at this point it is very unlikely that any refurbished units are still under warranty and I'd almost guarantee that

1. It was purchased long ago and not used, so the "warranty" has expired whether the seller realizes it or not. Warranty doesn't begin once the unit is registered. It begins the minute you purchase it and if you are NOT a major vendor, then was considered purchased the minute they bought it even if it's never been used or registered.

2. They probably already KNOW that, and are just nastly little scammers looking to offload a used board on somebody who is clueless.

Protectereli

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

Thank you for the detailed replies man, I'm definitely going to get that first board you recommended.

Protectereli

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

Sweet I appreciate it, I've been involved in tech for about 4 years now, and actually recently got a job in the field but I'm still green in a lot of areas.

I do have another small question before I replace this part, I actually have another thread on the topic if you wouldn't mind taking a look. Its also relevant to this thread.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3592747/diagnose-issue.html

Pretty much looking for a senior tech to confirm Mb as the issue before I sink another 150 bucks in to find out its something else.

Thank you so much!

There's really no way for the average person to test or diagnose the motherboard aside from common symptoms or eliminating everything else.

I'd probably suggest replacing the power supply first, since you've already been told, and I am verifying, that it's not a great unit to begin with. The older CX units are ok to begin with but they usually start failing within two years if they are paired with a moderately capable graphics card. So you probably ought to replace that either way.

Maybe you get lucky and that is all of the problem. Maybe not, and you end up still needing to replace the motherboard. Either way you end up with a working system and a (hopefully, depending on what you go with) reliable power supply as well.

Protectereli

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

Yeah ive been through 3 of these cx series already, Corsair keeps sending me new ones when I complain.

I finally got it to boot, I removed ram from slots 3/4 and got it to boot so now only slots 1-2 are occupied , as soon as ram occupies either 3 or 4, computer will not post.

GPU is working but the fans are not spinning

Might just look at this another day if its functional now

Still seems like a ticking time bomb though haha

Protectereli

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

They are mixed yeah, theres 2 4gbs and 2 2gbs

They were working for years before I started having all these issues though, so I know its not a compatibility issue.

Protectereli

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

I also tried 1 ram stick 1 slot at a time, it boots in 1 and 2, but as soon as 3 and 4 are occupied the computer will not post anymore.