[SOLVED] Recover a SANDISK SSD

nolive721

Commendable
Sep 8, 2019
Hello

Making long story short, my PSU fried 2 HDD and 1 SSD in my PC few months ago after sending too much voltage. so whenever I was plugging these disks the PC would shutdown.

I learned about removing TVS diodes and it worked for both HDDs, they are back up and running, I didn't lose any data.

few days ago, I finally found the time to open up the SSD(its a SANDISK ULTRA II) but could not find any similar D3/D4 didoes like the WD HDDs had.

I am bit stuck at what to do next, I would not have the tool to check voltage and such on the board so hopefully people here woudl recognize the PCB and provide guidance at which things I need to remove to get back this SSD alive
View: https://imgur.com/a/YuA47im

thanks a lot!

Solution
Chances are you fried the controller on the SSD as well as damaged the flash memory on it. I'd toss the electrifying PSU into the trash bin and invest in a reliably built unit, in order to prevent the rest of your parts in your build from failing and the answer to recovering the SSD is always hit or miss.

I would not have the tool to check voltage and such on the board
That's not how troubleshooting works, you will need to find the dead component after we tell you what to look for, if you don't have tools like a multimeter, a soldering iron and the replacement ceramic capacitor...you're better off taking it to a repair shop(or send it for RMA, though I think that bridge was burnt when you tampered with the sticker on the outer...

Lutfij

Titan
Chances are you fried the controller on the SSD as well as damaged the flash memory on it. I'd toss the electrifying PSU into the trash bin and invest in a reliably built unit, in order to prevent the rest of your parts in your build from failing and the answer to recovering the SSD is always hit or miss.

I would not have the tool to check voltage and such on the board
That's not how troubleshooting works, you will need to find the dead component after we tell you what to look for, if you don't have tools like a multimeter, a soldering iron and the replacement ceramic capacitor...you're better off taking it to a repair shop(or send it for RMA, though I think that bridge was burnt when you tampered with the sticker on the outer shell).

Solution

nolive721

Commendable
Sep 8, 2019
I came here to seek for assistance not really for being told off about how to do troubleshooting

I replaced the PSU as soon as I identified it was the one that created this mess in my rig

I did my homework to look for solutions on how to recover my 2 HDDs. I removed the TVS diodes consciously of the risk I was taking short to long term as the protection is now fully gone but clearly got rewarded by the fact that I recovered the drives and the data on them, 3months later they are doing well.

I was just asking here if a similar low level solution was possible on this SSD board, nothing else. There was no need to be pedantic as I am reading in this reply

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
You pic is to blurry for me o read but in the top left there looks like a 0 ohm resistor. You would need to replace it rather then remove it IF IT IS BAD. You could possibly replace it with a peice of wire if it is indeed a 0 ohm resistor. Again, too blurry for me to make much out.

popatim

Titan
As for the HDD's you'll want to replace those diodes or the entire drive. Removing the diodes is more to allow you to transfer or recover the data then to continue using the drives. Without them in place you now risk loosing the drive board rather then just sacrificing the diodes.