Recovering an old window license from an old pc

Marika_1

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
So i have an real old pc, it is like 15-20 years old, window xp if im not mistaken. I last started it up last year, took me 15mins to boot up and VERY SLOW. Its sitting in the storrage collecting dust now. Was wondering can i take the window xp license and use it to activate my win 10 on the new pc?

it would depend on what kind of windows license it is. if it was a retail one then you can but if it is an OEM type license then it cannot be used on another computer. you can retrieve the windows key with a free program like ProduKey. also if this will be for a new computer made within the last 4-5 years windows XP will not work on it nor would it be recommended to ever use it due to it no longer receiving security updates

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Marika_1

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015

Ok i will find sometime to retrieve the key.
Also what i mean is not trying to make my new pc a window xp. My current pc which is win 10, its win 10 is expired. So i was wondering is it possible to use other keys from like win 7 to activate my win 10 on my current pc.

USAFRet

Titan

A valid Windows 10 license does not "expire".

Marika_1

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015

Yes i know...mine is volume license...

if you have a legit windows 7 or 8 (not XP) key you can use it to activate a copy of windows 10. also not if your current windows version is the pro edition and the key you use is for the home edition you will need to do a clean install of windows 10 home for the key to activate