[SOLVED] Recovering SSD after power surge on USB port ?

novinceineed

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
Hi there.

Complete noob here, so please bear with me.

My previous computer failed. I removed the SSD, hoping to be able to transfer the data over to the new pre-built PC I bought. I bought a SSK M.2 NVME SSD Enclosure Adapter and using it, plugged the SSD into a USB 3.0 port. The PC immediately threw up a "Power surge on USB port" error and wouldn't recognise it. I did a little reading and it was suggested I needed a separate power source, so I bought the atolla powered USB 3.0 hub and plugged the SSD adapter into that. Same problem - power surge error and won't recognise (this time with a little burning!)

I don't want to void the warranty on my PC/attempt to replace the new SSD temporarily.

Are there any other options to retrieve my data?

Many thanks!

Solution
Hi there.

My previous computer failed. I removed the SSD, hoping to be able to transfer the data over to the new pre-built PC I bought. I bought a SSK M.2 NVME SSD Enclosure Adapter and using it, plugged the SSD into a USB 3.0 port. The PC immediately threw up a "Power surge on USB port" error and wouldn't recognise it. I did a little reading and it was suggested I needed a separate power source, so I bought the atolla powered USB 3.0 hub and plugged the SSD adapter into that. Same problem - power surge error and won't recognise (this time with a little burning!)

I don't want to void the warranty on my PC/attempt to replace the new SSD temporarily.

Are there any other options to...
Can you upload photos of the SSD and the PCB inside the enclosure?

Do you have a multimeter? If not, you can buy one for ~$US5. There is a short circuit somewhere, either in the adapter or in the SSD. Often there is a no cost, DIY fix, but a multimeter is needed for testing.

novinceineed

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
That is controller name - Realtek RTS5760.
Drive model name is printed on a label (glued to the drive).

I'm afraid I can't see a label. If it helps, it looks identical to this in shape/size with the 1 "prong" at the bottom

06-09-20181536247944dischd2.jpg
:

Hi there.

Are there any other options to retrieve my data?

Many thanks!
Try different usb ports on the pc.
If no help try plugging in the adapter without a ssd attached.

Reactions: novinceineed
Solution

novinceineed

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
Try different usb ports on the pc.
If no help try plugging in the adapter without a ssd attached.

Tried the alternative ports, with shutdown between each - same power surges.

Then tried your suggestion of plugging in the adapter without the SSD - and put the SSD in after - and it worked! No power surge errors and I can read the SSD

Thanks to you and everybody for their suggestions. Appreciated