[SOLVED] Recovering Windows 10 by using a backup image.

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
I have created a system image in: Control Panel > Backup and Restore(Windows 7)

If my Samsung SSD which is the system drive fails, Should I use a "system repair disc" OR "recovery drive" ?

Do both of these provide the Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > System Image Recovery menu when you boot from them ?

Many Thanks

Solution
I don't know any specific links to other backup info, other than what I've personally ingested by osmosis over the years.
Of course, there are a LOT of them. From the various hardware and software manufacturers, and other forums.

Basically, 3-2-1.
3 copies, on 2 different media, at least 1 offsite.

How and what tools depends on your personal tolerance for recovery pain, time, possibility of loss, and budget.

I need to update this, but my basics...

The main thing is...never have your data subject to a single device.
In my personal experience, all you need is a bootable win 10 installation media to use the system image created with the Win 7 backup and restore option.

What I usually do when restoring from such an image created that way, is to boot from a Win 10 USB, select repair and select restore from system image, which is where you point the installer to the drive with the image backup.

I never create the system repair disc, because I always keep an up-to-date Windows USB installer readily available.

As far as I know, you can't boot from the backup image alone, and then restore Windows from there, a bootable media is required to boot and initiate the restore process. Either the system repair disc or a bootable Win 10 installation media is necessary

USAFRet

Titan
I have created a system image in: Control Panel > Backup and Restore(Windows 7)

If my Samsung SSD which is the system drive fails, Should I use a "system repair disc" OR "recovery drive" ?

Do both of these provide the Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > System Image Recovery menu when you boot from them ?

Many Thanks
Kudos for being proactive with your system and backups.

Personally, I've never had much real trust in the built in backup and recovery in Windows.
Where is this system image stored? On a different drive? And do you know how to recover?

I use Macrium Reflect and a schedule of drive images. Easily recoverable, and I know it works.

Reactions: wpgwpg
Kudos for being proactive with your system and backups.

Personally, I've never had much real trust in the built in backup and recovery in Windows.
Where is this system image stored? On a different drive? And do you know how to recover?

I use Macrium Reflect and a schedule of drive images. Easily recoverable, and I know it works.

I apologize for straying off topic, but I know some mods rarely respond to PMs. You have a lot of knowledge about efficient backup procedures and software - could you possibly point me to a good place to begin searching for more knowledge and information like the things you share your knowledge about in backup-related threads? I hope it is ok I ask.

On topic :
The backup image created with the Win 7 recovery tool in Win 10, has to be stored on a differnt physical drive (external or internal, or on a number of DVDs... -a LOT of them). EDIT : Personally, I create the system image on an external SSD drive, in order to speed up the recovery process

In my experience, the bulit-in system image tool in Windows 7 and Windows 10 (they're exactly the same), works quite well, and I have used them myself for years - although other than that, I agree with your view upon Windows' own backup & recovery options.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
I don't know any specific links to other backup info, other than what I've personally ingested by osmosis over the years.
Of course, there are a LOT of them. From the various hardware and software manufacturers, and other forums.

Basically, 3-2-1.

How and what tools depends on your personal tolerance for recovery pain, time, possibility of loss, and budget.

Solution

Basically, 3-2-1.

Thanks a lot for your reply, it is much appreciated
I actually have two specific questions based on some things I've noticed you mention often- in order not to pollute this thread more, can I send you one PM? - you don't have to hurry up with a reply, I have a kind of backup-thing going, I know you mods are very busy - also, I do respect a "no" to that question. I'm sorry if you get a million requests like this, I don't mean to be disrespectful.

FWIW I completely agree with USAFRet. I've been using the free version of Macrium Reflect for years and I trust it completely. The built-in backup program included in Windows has been unsupported by MS for a couple of years now, even though some people report continued success with it.