trevor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I've been having problems with "NTLDR missing..." I've noticed several good
posts regarding using the recovery console to try and fix this problem. I
have WXP Pro and recently installed SP2. When I try to invoke the recovery
console by booting off my XP Pro CD, a blue screen comes up with "Windows
Setup" displayed in the upper left corner and then the system hangs. I have
to reboot, so invoking the recovery console this way doesn't work. When I
try to invoke the console by entering the command F:\I386\winnt32.exe
/cmdcons, a window dialog box pops up with "Setup cannot continue because the
version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD."

Is there an SP2 version of the recovery console? How do I work around this
issue?

This is really serious because there is no way that I can perform any repair
functions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
--
trevor

Microsoft says/said that recovery console needs to be installed before SP2
or its unavailable.I installed before SP2,now its a boot option,thought that
booting to the cd was always available,guess not.

"Trevor" wrote:

> I've been having problems with "NTLDR missing..." I've noticed several good
> posts regarding using the recovery console to try and fix this problem. I
> have WXP Pro and recently installed SP2. When I try to invoke the recovery
> console by booting off my XP Pro CD, a blue screen comes up with "Windows
> Setup" displayed in the upper left corner and then the system hangs. I have
> to reboot, so invoking the recovery console this way doesn't work. When I
> try to invoke the console by entering the command F:\I386\winnt32.exe
> /cmdcons, a window dialog box pops up with "Setup cannot continue because the
> version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD."
>
> Is there an SP2 version of the recovery console? How do I work around this
> issue?
>
> This is really serious because there is no way that I can perform any repair
> functions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
> --
> trevor

The actual cmd in run to install recovery is:E:\i386\winnt32.exe/cmdcons
E: being the cdrom,from where youre at,i would boot to xp cd,select install
xp,repair this copy,you'll only loose all updates,you should have the ntldr
fixed
at that time.

"Trevor" wrote:

> I've been having problems with "NTLDR missing..." I've noticed several good
> posts regarding using the recovery console to try and fix this problem. I
> have WXP Pro and recently installed SP2. When I try to invoke the recovery
> console by booting off my XP Pro CD, a blue screen comes up with "Windows
> Setup" displayed in the upper left corner and then the system hangs. I have
> to reboot, so invoking the recovery console this way doesn't work. When I
> try to invoke the console by entering the command F:\I386\winnt32.exe
> /cmdcons, a window dialog box pops up with "Setup cannot continue because the
> version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD."
>
> Is there an SP2 version of the recovery console? How do I work around this
> issue?
>
> This is really serious because there is no way that I can perform any repair
> functions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
> --
> trevor

peter

Hi,

Is that true?
Are you just meaning that we cannot go to Recovery Console in Windows
enviroment?

I have 2 PC running XP Pro ( 1 OEM & 1 Retail version). I have not
installed the i386 folder from XP CD to the C Root and both PC updated to SP2.

I just tested with the XP Pro CDs (OEM & Retail), I can BOOT from it and
enter Recovery Console without any problems. I also try this with my friend's
PC running XP Home SP2 and can also go to Recovery Console by booting from
the XP Home CD.

Peter

"Andrew E." wrote:

> Microsoft says/said that recovery console needs to be installed before SP2
> or its unavailable.I installed before SP2,now its a boot option,thought that
> booting to the cd was always available,guess not.
>
> "Trevor" wrote:
>
> > I've been having problems with "NTLDR missing..." I've noticed several good
> > posts regarding using the recovery console to try and fix this problem. I
> > have WXP Pro and recently installed SP2. When I try to invoke the recovery
> > console by booting off my XP Pro CD, a blue screen comes up with "Windows
> > Setup" displayed in the upper left corner and then the system hangs. I have
> > to reboot, so invoking the recovery console this way doesn't work. When I
> > try to invoke the console by entering the command F:\I386\winnt32.exe
> > /cmdcons, a window dialog box pops up with "Setup cannot continue because the
> > version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD."
> >
> > Is there an SP2 version of the recovery console? How do I work around this
> > issue?
> >
> > This is really serious because there is no way that I can perform any repair
> > functions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
> > --
> > trevor

trevor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have tried the cmd "drive":\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons however it is not
accepted because the I have SP2. It's good, I think, that others can boot
from an older version XP Pro CD and still use the recover console but when I
boot from my CD it just hangs. I can't get past it.

I thought that if I had a problem I'd be able to boot from the CD and then
use the recovery console, so I didn't install it and I didn't know that it
would be unavailable after installing SP2. So I've bungled myself on that.
However, there must be some reason why I can't boot from my CD when others
can. I've selected my CD drive in bios as the boot device so I don't know
what else I can do.

Can I uninstall SP2 and then install the recovery console from within
windows using run?

trevor

"Andrew E." wrote:

> The actual cmd in run to install recovery is:E:\i386\winnt32.exe/cmdcons
> E: being the cdrom,from where youre at,i would boot to xp cd,select install
> xp,repair this copy,you'll only loose all updates,you should have the ntldr
> fixed
> at that time.
>
> "Trevor" wrote:
>
> > I've been having problems with "NTLDR missing..." I've noticed several good
> > posts regarding using the recovery console to try and fix this problem. I
> > have WXP Pro and recently installed SP2. When I try to invoke the recovery
> > console by booting off my XP Pro CD, a blue screen comes up with "Windows
> > Setup" displayed in the upper left corner and then the system hangs. I have
> > to reboot, so invoking the recovery console this way doesn't work. When I
> > try to invoke the console by entering the command F:\I386\winnt32.exe
> > /cmdcons, a window dialog box pops up with "Setup cannot continue because the
> > version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD."
> >
> > Is there an SP2 version of the recovery console? How do I work around this
> > issue?
> >
> > This is really serious because there is no way that I can perform any repair
> > functions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
> > --
> > trevor

peter

Hi,

Go to Add or Remove program to remove SP2 if you encounter problems to boot
from the XP CD.

Peter

"Trevor" wrote:

> I have tried the cmd "drive":\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons however it is not
> accepted because the I have SP2. It's good, I think, that others can boot
> from an older version XP Pro CD and still use the recover console but when I
> boot from my CD it just hangs. I can't get past it.
>
> I thought that if I had a problem I'd be able to boot from the CD and then
> use the recovery console, so I didn't install it and I didn't know that it
> would be unavailable after installing SP2. So I've bungled myself on that.
> However, there must be some reason why I can't boot from my CD when others
> can. I've selected my CD drive in bios as the boot device so I don't know
> what else I can do.
>
> Can I uninstall SP2 and then install the recovery console from within
> windows using run?
>
> trevor
>
> "Andrew E." wrote:
>
> > The actual cmd in run to install recovery is:E:\i386\winnt32.exe/cmdcons
> > E: being the cdrom,from where youre at,i would boot to xp cd,select install
> > xp,repair this copy,you'll only loose all updates,you should have the ntldr
> > fixed
> > at that time.
> >
> > "Trevor" wrote:
> >
> > > I've been having problems with "NTLDR missing..." I've noticed several good
> > > posts regarding using the recovery console to try and fix this problem. I
> > > have WXP Pro and recently installed SP2. When I try to invoke the recovery
> > > console by booting off my XP Pro CD, a blue screen comes up with "Windows
> > > Setup" displayed in the upper left corner and then the system hangs. I have
> > > to reboot, so invoking the recovery console this way doesn't work. When I
> > > try to invoke the console by entering the command F:\I386\winnt32.exe
> > > /cmdcons, a window dialog box pops up with "Setup cannot continue because the
> > > version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD."
> > >
> > > Is there an SP2 version of the recovery console? How do I work around this
> > > issue?
> > >
> > > This is really serious because there is no way that I can perform any repair
> > > functions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
> > > --
> > > trevor

trevor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks Peter,

I solved the boot problem by turning off "Quick Boot" in my bios. So now I
can boot from my CD and get to the recovery console. I just may uninstall
SP2 anyhow. Thanksks for your help.

Trevor