[SOLVED] Red CPU light on my motherboard

luislrm

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
Had my computer for less than a year, decided to disassemble it to clean off the dust but when I put it back together and turned it on there was a red light on my motherboard where it says cpu and nothing is showing up on my monitor. Very new to PC building anything would help.

Specs
MOBO: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M
CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 2600
GPU: Geforce GTX 1660 6GB

Solution
The stock fans paste is enough, assuming that you put the stock cooler on, and havent removed it since. Besides, your CPU would not die from overheating if you shut it down normally, then cleaned it, and attempted to restart it. It was related to cleaning. Make sure your CPU PSU cable, top right of the motherboard, is plugged in all the way. That is a first step. It is possible that you accidentally shorted out the motherboard while taking it out/in and leaving in on your desk.

luislrm

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
Unplug all the peripherals, worked for me a couple of times.

If the above solution doesn't work, can you describe how you cleaned the system?
I mostly cleaned my case, took all the parts out and placed them in my desk; dusted off my case outside. When I put everything together there was no display on my monitor.

Update: I used some of my old parts and my computer turned on, I used my old motherboard, CPU and RAM. I think the issue is my cpu being overheated. When I 1st built it I didn't apply thermal paste, thought the stock fan's pre applied paste was enough and Ive left my computer on overnight a few times. I just find it weird that I'm not getting an error messages on my monitor. All I got was a red light on my motherboard

The stock fans paste is enough, assuming that you put the stock cooler on, and havent removed it since. Besides, your CPU would not die from overheating if you shut it down normally, then cleaned it, and attempted to restart it. It was related to cleaning. Make sure your CPU PSU cable, top right of the motherboard, is plugged in all the way. That is a first step. It is possible that you accidentally shorted out the motherboard while taking it out/in and leaving in on your desk.

Solution