Question Red VGA light and GPU fans turn on then off ?

Jun 1, 2023
I just built my first PC and it was all going well until I tried to troubleshoot an NVMe SSD. My initial test allowed me to connect my display port to my GPU, but when looking through the BIOS, the NVMe m.2 SSD didn't show up, so I then took out the GPU and retightened the SSD. However, after I put the GPU back, the GPU fans started for about 5-10 seconds then stopped and the VGA light on the motherboard shone bright red.

I'm scared that when I put the GPU back I might have damaged it or the motherboard when I dropped a few screws. The GPU RGB lights are still on. I haven't seen the BIOS yet using the integrated GPU (I think the Ryzen 7 7700X has one?).

PCIe connections look fine, so not sure what could be wrong. I looked online and someone from 2015 said all they did was update the drivers and BIOS, but I don't have any drivers yet, so maybe update the BIOS using Q-Flash? Someone better than me can help? Thanks

Specs:
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 7700x
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 32GB
GPU - ASUS Tuf Gaming GeForce RTX 4070
PSU -Corsair RM750x
Mobo - GIGABYTE B650 Gaming AX X

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I haven't seen the BIOS yet using the integrated GPU (I think the Ryzen 7 7700X has one?).
You might want to see what BIOS version you're currently on for your motherboard. If you have BIOS updates pending, update to the latest.

Jun 1, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I haven't seen the BIOS yet using the integrated GPU (I think the Ryzen 7 7700X has one?).
You might want to see what BIOS version you're currently on for your motherboard. If you have BIOS updates pending, update to the latest.
I tried updating my BIOS using Q-Flash Plus but it wouldn't work. I then noticed that one of my fans that was plugged into the bottom fan socket wasn't working, but when plugged into a socket near the top it worked again. Could it be that something in the motherboard shorted and so the parts near the bottom of the CPU have stopped working?

Edit: I tried again and turns out the fan slot is working just fine. BIOS still not updating though...

Edit 2: I lied and the bottom fan turns off after a short bit of turning on the PC

Edit 3: After unplugging the GPU, the DRAM light turns on now. I'm starting to wonder if the problem lied in the motherboard and it being shorted or malfunctioning.

Edit 4: After unplugging and plugging the RAM back in, all fans seem to be working fine and the light goes back to the VGA. Very much confused on what could be the issue right now. Thinking it's the motherboard because it is acting very weird

Edit 5: Whenever I attempt to start my Q-Flash Plug process, the entire system BUT the power supply turns on. If I hold down the button, I can hear a clicking noise coming from the power supply. Could this entire thing be a power supply issue?

Last edited: