deee12

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
What's the minimum satisfactory refresh rate? I have a sony 210gs 17 inch monitor that is 2 1/2 year's old i use 1024x768. thank you

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Some people are more sensitive to flicker than others are, and younger people are generally more sensitive to flicker.

With a slow enough vertical refresh rate, your monitor suffers from screen flicker because the phosphor loses its glow before the CRT's electron gun gets back to the same spot to refresh it. The refresh rate determines the stability of the image on the screen. The higher the refresh rate, the steadier the image. Slow vertical refresh rates are the main cause if vision related problems reported by display users. Studies have shown that most people cannot perceive flicker at vertical refresh rates of 85Hz or more. In an effort to eliminate low refresh rates, the industry group VESA (Video Electronics Standards Association) has established minimum of 85Hz refresh rate for all popular resolutions.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>

deee12

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Thank you, I just had a new system built but still using my old monitor and I just checked my display settings and noticed it was set at 60hz so I set it to the maximum for this monitor which is 85hz so I guesss that should be alright then it seems much better now.

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
i tried setting my monitor to optimal refresh rate the other day. in the moniotr display it then says that it's running at 108.7/100khz or something. what does that mean? and how do i get 120hz refresh like all these other gusy say that they get?

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
The first number is the horizontal scan rate (Khz) the second is the refresh rate (Hz). Your video card must allow you to change settings, I know Matrox cards give a full range of options for resolution and refresh rate.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
A monitor has three timing components, the pixel clock, the horizontal scan rate and the vertical refresh rate. The vertical refresh rate, also called the vertical frequency, vertical scanning frequency, or simply refresh rate, is a measure of how many full screens the monitor draws per second and is given in hertz (Hz). The horizontal scan rate is the time it takes to draw one horizontal line across the screen. The pixel clock is the time it takes to draw one pixel. Faster refresh rates require faster horizontal scan and a faster pixel clock.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
85Hz should be high enough for 99% of people who use monitors.

some people are more sensitive, particularly new users, younger people, or people who have just recently used flicker free devices (LCD's).
i for example can detect flicker at anything below 75hz...
also, using a CRT under fluorescent lights alsmo means you have to have a higher refresh rate to overcome the strobing as the lights run at 50 or 60hz, depending on the power in your country.

Morally destitute, Emotionally bankrupt but a proud and respected member of Toms Forums! :smile:

G

I can notice some flickering at 75Hz on my monitor but there's not much I can do about it, I mean 1280x960 is a pretty decent resolution for it(19"), and it's really not as bad as anything less. ANYTHING less than 75 my eyes can see, LOL.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
may i suggest then something slightly lower and at a higher refresh?

how about 1152x864?

or a new monitor

Morally destitute, Emotionally bankrupt but a proud and respected member of Toms Forums! :smile: