Refurbished Monitors

G

Whats the deal with refurbished monitors:

Can people post about their results if they bought a refurbished monitor?

Can people post about why they avoid them?

Can people post why they get them?

Anything wrong with them?

Looking for new monitor so i just want to ask

THANKS

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Refurbished monitors are monitors that have been returned to be service, and then have had their problem (supposedly) corrected.
Generally, there shouldn't be anything wrong with it, since it would have gone under the company's QC and they should also carry some sort of warranty. I bet that the number one reason as to why people buy refurbished is because of the price!

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

PCHardstuff

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2001
I would avoid refurbs mainly because the little bit of money you save is not worth sacrificing the warranty. Most of the refurbs I've seen have only had a 30 day warranty. There not A LOT cheaper. Maybe 15-20% off. Also, refurbs do have a higher failure rate than brand new monitors. They DO pass an inspection to insure they work correctly, but they already passed an intial test before once already before they were sold the first time. So just because they were tested doesn't mean they have been repaired correctly.

G

i bought a few refurbished monitors.

1) 15" mag innovision. problems on the first day, return it to the seller. i paid $40 for the return shipping.
bought it in for $250 shipped. the street price was $400 + shipping.

2) 15" samsung. the power button wouldn't stay on. Sent to the repair and got it back in 2 weeks. The monitor is still working great now.
bought in for $310 shipped. street price was $500 + shipping.

3) 19" sony g400
discoloration at the left corners. minor damagers to the case. didn't come with the original box w/ poor packing. seller is willing to exchange one for me.
got it for $200 shipped. street price is $450 + shipping.

i also bought a few monitor from retail stores. returned 2 out of 3 because of discoloration problems.

i think if you have time to deal with the problems with refurbished monitors, it will save you some money. be sure the return policy is reasonable and at least have 30 days warranty. if there are problems, you will see it the first day.

Raleldor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As stated above, Refurbished monitors have a higher failure rate, and usually only a part of the warranty. For instance, an NEC of Mitsubishi monitor usually comes with a 3 year warranty. If you bought it refurbished, it would have a 1 year warranty instead unless it was a Multisync 5/7/9x then its a 90 instead of the usual 1 year warranty they have.

You have no idea what have been done to make these monitors defective. There may have been a power surge that killed the power supply on the monitor, but damaged some other parts as well, they could replace the power supply and ship it out as it would come on allright, through normal wear and tear it would die quickly after that. See what I mean?

Just some thoughts from someone who sees this stuff for a living.

-Raleldor
NEC/Mitsubishi Tech

<b><font color=green>Raleldor says in out of character,'PHAT LEWTZ!'</font color=green></b>

AMD_cErTiFiEd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
The company I work for sells refurbished monitors and I have seen them go out over 3 yrs ago and I have never seen them again(they are also return customers who still use them). my parents have my old refurbed 17" sony, my brother even older refurb NEC 15", and I have a refurbished 21" sony. Refurbed are rarely repaired monitors. They are Generally off lease monitors from larger corporations who leased 2000 for a year or to and then people like my company pick them up. Since monitors are so cheap we throw out the DOA's

Blame the newbies not the technology