[SOLVED] Regarding Microsoft Sharepoint Workspace and upload of data

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Hello everyone

I have Office 2010 package

When i:
Right click on folder
Sync of shared folder
When I press “Yes”, and the login / create user window appears, then GROOVE.exe (Office) uploads / sends data in the range of 15 byte/s - 600 byte/s

What is this data being sent / uploaded?
Is it the folder selected that is being uploaded?

I do not have a user for Sharepoint Workspace or have been logged in
I monitored network activity using Resource Monitor in Windows

I have asked Microsoft Community aswell, but I thought, I would give this forum a shot aswell

Thank you for reading and replying

Best regards

Solution
Sharepoint is a server....a shared server.
Unless you are wanting to learn the ins and out of SP, there is zero reason to run that on your single user PC.

But...that sync between Office and SP, is a lot of underlying Office functionality. Temp files, user config, etc, etc.
SharePoint can be considered the online component of your Office install. In your case, pseudo-online, because it is in the same system.

For instance:
A SharePoint server, with some Word/Excel/Powerpoint files on it.
You open one of those for editing.
SP creates a temp copy on your local system, tied to your user account. That is all the back and forth data you're seeing.
Anyone else who wants to open that file will see YOU has having it open for editing. In SP...

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
"IPv4-feedback "

100% internal. No communication with the outside world.

'feed back' into the same system/hardware.

After my many questions concerning the topic and your many answers, I can conclude for now, that there has been no upload of my data or files to the Sharepoint Workspace server.

Thank you so much! I sincerely appreciate your help