[SOLVED] Registry Error BSOD on Windows Boot

2feetonmars

Reputable
Sep 14, 2018
I usually fall asleep to Netflix on an evening, and this is what I do every day without a problem. I woke up this morning to see that my computer was still on, but not in the state that it usually is… It was met with the old style screen of ‘insert boot device and press a key’. Which sometimes happens when I start up my PC every so often and all that requires a restart select the windows boot manager from my BIOS and it puts me straight into it with no problems.

Today is very different though, when I boot into windows using windows boot manager, I am met with the classic blue screen of death which I get every so often but I usually don’t panic too much about because it requires a reboot most of the time for it to fix itself. This time however I’ve got an error which I have never got before ‘Registry Error’.

I have tried so many things so far such as resetting my bios, creating a new windows installation media to try and run recovery troubleshooters, shooting from a restore point (Which I met with ‘an unspecified error occurred during system restore’ with the error code ‘0x80071a91’) I have tried to use the commands in command prompt such as sfc scannow which has fixed my problem with my PC many times previously, and I have also given up all hope book to reinstall windows completely, However my SSD will not allow itself to be reformatted for fresh install of windows no can I install it onto the already on reserve space on it.

I’m really not sure what to do because my PC no matter what refuses to be helped in any sort of way because I met with error cards… I have never had a registry error before so I’m really unsure what that means, despite me being somewhat tech savvy. I’m not sure if this helps but my SSD is an M.2 ADATA.

What should I do next? Thank you

Solution
13: kd> !error 0x80071a91
Error code: (HRESULT) 0x80071a91 (2147949201) - Transaction support within the specified resource manager is not started or was shut down due to an error.

I can only guess that the operating system lost contact with the drive storage. I would go into windows control panel for power options and either set the system to high performance mode or find the drive and right click on it in device manager and see if you can find a power management tab and tell windows not to shutdown the device to save power.

this is for debugging. if it has an effect on the problem, the fix would generally be to update the bios and laptop drivers from the motherboard vendors website.

you could also run cmd.exe as an admin then...
13: kd> !error 0x80071a91
Error code: (HRESULT) 0x80071a91 (2147949201) - Transaction support within the specified resource manager is not started or was shut down due to an error.

I can only guess that the operating system lost contact with the drive storage. I would go into windows control panel for power options and either set the system to high performance mode or find the drive and right click on it in device manager and see if you can find a power management tab and tell windows not to shutdown the device to save power.

this is for debugging. if it has an effect on the problem, the fix would generally be to update the bios and laptop drivers from the motherboard vendors website.

you could also run cmd.exe as an admin then
run
powercfg.exe /energy
and look at the report to see if it flags some component for errors.

other errors could also cause this, you might google for crystaldiskinfo.exe and download the tool
it can show the firmware version of your drive and look at the SMART info for the drive to see if the drive is starting to fail. It will show a drive health indicator. Other tools can do this also.

basically, if the drive goes to sleep, you wake it and it takes longer than 30 seconds the system will crash. other errors happen if it wakes but still has to read the drive several times before it responds correctly. (happens mostly on older drives that have spinning disks)
it can also happen on SSD drives when they start to run out of disk space.

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Full system specs might be helpful to us.

I had an issue with a machine giving the 'no boot device' error and was able to fix it by going into BIOS, (re)setting the M.2 as the primary boot device and then disabling the other choices.

This sounds a lot like either a failing drive, issue with a mobo, or that some monkeying around in the registry has been going on. Did you try to use some manner of registry cleaner or driver updater, anything like an optimization program, etc.?