Registry Tweak Enables Updates for XP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
SP2? Why not just update to SP3 it is free. Boggles the mind. I find XP to be a malware magnet anyways. Updating to Win7 is a better idea than fooling around with all this. But it depends if your PC can handle the o/s I guess.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
what's wrong with XP SP3?

I haven't heard any issues regarding the update...except it's for XP and it's now old and more people are on Win7.....

70camaross396

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
I like the patching trick. however i would just go to SP3 to be safe. thier is no reason a home user should not be on SP3. I can understand why companies have not moved to SP3, patching in an enterprise enviroment is a pain in the neck. even with WSUS. it kills network bandwidth and user productivity. especially with big updates like SP3 or .netframeworks. most enterprises are already looking at Windows 7. Rather that touch every machine in the company to install sp3, I would rather touch every computer in the company to install Windows 7 SP1 slipstreemd in to it when it launches in the October/november time frame. it make more send that doing it all twice. Microsoft needs to get its act together with enterprise level patching. even with WSUS it is still a pain.

onehitxzibit

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
It's time people stop using a nearly 10 year-old OS and upgrade to Win 7 or at least XP SP3. Why the hell is anyone still running SP2 & older?

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]There is no SP3 for X64 version... I am so glad i moved to Win 7. People switch, it is awesome...[/citation]

That's because technically Windows XP X64 was a heavily modified version of Windows 2003.

smashley

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
People still on xp sp2 are probably using illegitimate copies of xp if they are home users, or simply have automatic updates turned off and don't know any better. Really no other reason not to update to sp3(for home users).

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
[citation][nom]onehitxzibit[/nom]It's time people stop using a nearly 10 year-old OS and upgrade to Win 7 or at least XP SP3. Why the hell is anyone still running SP2 & older?[/citation]

On active current computers IDK. But I'm about to rebuild/reconstitute a Win98 Pentium III computer for retro-gaming purposes.

jplarson

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
When SP3 was first released, systems that were old back then had troubles updating to it. I've also seen systems on the network here slow down with SP3 installed, even on a freshly imaged machine. But moving to Windows 7 on the home front is a must and in a business environment it's recommended assuming legacy apps don't break.

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Wow everyone that is saying "just upgrade to SP3" its not that easy all the time. I have had 4 computers Blue Screen on me while updating them from SP2 to SP3. The windows update process is a joke and they certainly aren't helpful in repairing the OS.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'm pretty sure that SP3 was the XP version that had the validation code to check to make sure your copy of Windows was legal. So I'm guessing that most people that are still running SP2 fall into 2 categories:

1) People with no internet access / updates turned off. Which in this case getting updates is a non-issue.
2) People with pirated copies of XP-SP2 that can't update.

and possibly 3) Their computer is at the exact performance level where SP2 works fine, but SP3 doesn't (though I don't think SP3 has any tangible performance difference).

flightmare

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]There is no SP3 for X64 version... I am so glad i moved to Win 7. People switch, it is awesome...[/citation]x86 and x64 SP2 are NOT the same. It is possible to play GTA4 on a XP x64 SP2 machine.

mattclary

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]On active current computers IDK. But I'm about to rebuild/reconstitute a Win98 Pentium III computer for retro-gaming purposes.[/citation]

I fix computers for a living, and many, many, MANY people are still limping along on Pentium IVs with 512mb or less. Many of them can't justify the expense of a new computer just to surf the net.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I switched from XP(SP3) the other day to Windows 7 (Home Premium 64). For the most part I like it, it even 'feels' faster than XP (though my XP install was 1 year old). That said, after 1 month of searching and trying every fix I could find, I'm still unable to get my 2TB drive working (shows up as 1TB). It worked fine on XP 32bit.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
[citation][nom]thearm[/nom]XP SP3 is a little slower than SP2. But, that seems typical with SP upgrades.[/citation]

Actually if you install it with a disc that has up to SP3 slipstreamed onto the disc it actually runs faster. Definitely boots faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS