Question Regular Internet disconnections after OS upgrade ?

mrsmile

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2014
i have been experiencing regular internet disturbance around the time I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 . what could be causing this?
what can I do to fix this?

I've only been able to find fixes focusing on wifi but I'm using Ethernet. I know it's not a wifi issue. the wifi works on my phone when I get disconnected on my desktop.

Last edited:
current versions of windows have expanded the sleep functions and more devices will sleep by default. old machines often have to have bios updates for these to work correctly. I would start by going into windows control panel, device manager and find the network device and right mouse click and bring up properties. Then find the power management tab and tell windows not to let the device sleep. A real fix would be to update the bios, the chipset driver, and the ethernet drivers in the hope that it works correctly.

if you are trying to run both ethernet wired and wifi at the same time. you might look at this:
Enable simultaneous network connections (Wifi & Ethernet) (microsoft.com)
the setting might have changed when you upgraded.
i think the old default was to turn off wifi when wired ethernet was plugged in. (on the assumption that wired is faster than wireless. (no longer true))

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2023
i have been experiencing regular internet disturbance around the time I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 . what could be causing this?
what can I do to fix this?

I've only been able to find fixes focusing on wifi but I'm using Ethernet. I know it's not a wifi issue. the wifi works on my phone when I get disconnected on my desktop.

It could just be your ISP. I noticed my ISP had given people a 2G and 5G cable network with maintenance done on the 5G more often and sometimes for nearly months at a time. Then your network adapters might not have Win10 compatibility.