[SOLVED] Regular stuttering with Windows boot that' doesn't appear on linux, Advice?

Jun 13, 2020
Over the last couple months I've started to get a really annoying issue with constant stuttering both video and audio. It happens every 5-10 seconds with any form of video/audio playback or just general use, mouse and typing also freezes breifly, however for some reason gaming is completely fine. I've tried a lot of things now but I'm just really not sure what it could be. Might be hardware, might be software but I'm completely stumped, sorry if this is the wrong section. I used to be heavy into PC building but it's been years now so I have forgotten most of what's normal, so I might be missing something obvious. Nothing really has changed in specs or my usage that could be causing this. Last upgrade was extra storage just over a year ago. I've not installed much, if anything, since. Just general browsing, chatting and occasional gaming.

Temperatures seem to be okay with minimal load (browser with multiple tabs, video, chats-discord/telgram) CPU hovering at 35-40C, GPU at 50-60, which makes sense as my room is quite hot too, however this has never been an issue before even in hot summers.

Memtest left on overnight returned no faults. However, Memory usage is potentially high, at 40-50% (out of 16GB) with just Firefox and Discord open on top of essentials. According to speccy RAM is a much lower clock? It's 3000mhz by default, downed to 2400mhz by bios for compatibility but is showing 1199mhz in system.

Malware unlikely, Running MWB+ESET and I don't download sketchy files.

Doesn't happen with Linux. (KDE Neon, via dualboot).

All drivers are up to date.

SSD is in good health. I do have 7 other drives installed, 1 SSD 6HDD, all are in good health, could this be causing it?

System is about 5 years old now with only HDD's and Case being upgraded. Well maintained/cleaned. Possible failing parts? Just remembered the PSU (CX750) is from a much older build so maybe 2012-13. Cause for concern?

I'm very, very close to just doing a full reinstall at this point however i'd much rather do that as a last resort, so any help appreciated. It's getting so frustrating now, typing is a constant battle of watching for pauses. Thanks in advance for any help.

SPECS:

I7 5820k (not OC) + Corsair 280mm watercooler.

16GB Corsair dominator Platinum 16GB 3000mhz.

Asus X99-S Mobo.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti

Corsair CX750 PSU.

2x 500gb SSD (Evo & PNY) 9TB HDD = (4, 2, 2, 1) - (Seagate B, WD Blue, WD Blue, WD Black)

Solution
Just remembered the PSU (CX750) is from a much older build so maybe 2012-13. Cause for concern?
Yes it could be. To rule out the PSU being a problem, you will need a donor PSU that's reliably built in order to power up the system.

Also, are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? Which version of Windows 10 are you working with(assuming you're on Windows 10)? You could remove all storage drives and leave the boot drive in place to see if that affects your experience.

Lutfij

Titan
Just remembered the PSU (CX750) is from a much older build so maybe 2012-13. Cause for concern?
Yes it could be. To rule out the PSU being a problem, you will need a donor PSU that's reliably built in order to power up the system.

Also, are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? Which version of Windows 10 are you working with(assuming you're on Windows 10)? You could remove all storage drives and leave the boot drive in place to see if that affects your experience.

Reactions: Milansky
Solution
Jun 13, 2020

Thanks for the reply! PSU has been on my upgrade list for a while now so I think I might prioritize that now. Unfortunately won't be for a little while though. Bios is up to date, and I'm on Windows 10 Pro.

I have noticed that after restarts it's okay for a little bit, but progressively gets worse. I've been monitoring Task Manager, and Resource monitor and nothing seems to change. I opened a stream, didn't touch my PC at all, and it was fine at first but then started stuttering shortly after. No change in temps, CPU or RAM usage or new programs appearing to open. Does this sound like more of a software issue? Trying to isolate it down.

sounds like a power mgmt issue, you may have disks powering down too quickly.

Thanks for the reply! PSU has been on my upgrade list for a while now so I think I might prioritize that now. Unfortunately won't be for a little while though. Bios is up to date, and I'm on Windows 10 Pro.

I have noticed that after restarts it's okay for a little bit, but progressively gets worse. I've been monitoring Task Manager, and Resource monitor and nothing seems to change. I opened a stream, didn't touch my PC at all, and it was fine at first but then started stuttering shortly after. No change in temps, CPU or RAM usage or new programs appearing to open. Does this sound like more of a software issue? Trying to isolate it down.