Reinstall Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
LavenderJade, what you need to do is open up your device manager, you then need to click the action tab at the top and click add legacy hardware
then click next and next again it will then scan and find nothing click next on the screen after that.
Wait a minute and you will see a list of hardware appear, scroll down and choose network adapters then click next, then from the left column choose Microsoft then in the right hand column scroll down and choose Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter, then click next and this will install it.
To check just make sure it is set to show hidden devices, right click on device manager on the right and click view then show hidden devices.

Slavv

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014

http://www.att.com/esupport/ipv6.jsp#fbid=n0dJs7BhWAn
This is my ISP explains Ip4 vs Ip6
I have similar issue on my Dell Windows 7. Teredo showing triangle with error code 10. However, My Internet works with Ip4 and my Modem works with Ip4 only.
I did follow advice, (((then click next and next again it will then scan and find nothing click next on the screen after that.
Wait a minute and you will see a list of hardware appear, scroll down and choose network adapters then click next, then from the left column choose Microsoft then in the right hand column scroll down and choose Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter, then click next and this will install it., etc))))))) I am not going to repeat the whole instructions here.
BUT-

It has installed Microsoft Teredo Interface Adapter #2 also with an yellow triangle and exclamation point. When it got installed I got this message- Microsoft Teredo Interface Adapter was installed , but may not work properly (code 10). So, anyway, you can keep on installing Microsoft Teredo Interface Adapter forever, and it still will show code 10 and an yellow triangle. Somehow, it has to do with Microsoft, they must update with a new patch. otherwise, it will be "Mary Go around". I tried to contact Dell and my PC is out of Warranty. I am 100% certain that this error message is not only with Dell, as I see so many of you guys are experiencing the same issue. It is with Microsoft. I am sure tht we all have different PC brand names, not only Dell, so if we have the same problem it must be Microsoft's fault. I tried to contact Microsoft and they refer me to manufacturer of my PC.
I visited about 10 other sites with this problem, and I haven't seen that someone was able to resolve this issue. Any brilliant ideas out there?

Slavv

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014

No Exit

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014
I am having the same problem with the Teredo Adapter...code 10...cannot install, etc. But here is my history. Starting on 6/11 I had failed installations on almost all updates, starting with KB2800095. The computer attempted to install overnight, and that particular update was eventually grouped with 3 others, causing them all to fail installation. Finally, I installed each of the updates individually, but have never able to get 095 done successfully. The response to that install is very similar to the various fixes on the MS site in trying to solve the Teredo issue. Indeed, programs no longer even seem to be able to make a recovery point. Control Panel >Windows Update>left side is History.
Just me?

Slavv

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
You need to contact Microsoft at 1866PCSafety. Just look up letters on your phone. If your updates are failing, Microsoft agent has to remotely access your PC and correct the problems including that teredo thing. That Teredo drives me nuts. It is obvious that this Teredo is Microsoft's fault. We have different PC brands and we all experience the same problem with Teredo Adapter

smuchemedzi

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

MY ACTION TAB ONLY SHOW----- HELP--- WHERE IS THE LEGACY HARDWARE

Slavv

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
what's the point of giving this instruction in a visual style when Teredo adopter is not working? We did follow instructions and got installed adopter and again it shows yellow triangle with exclamation point, leading to code error 10
http://appuals.com/microsoft-teredo-tunneling-adapter/ is useless!

smuchemedzi

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
In the start menu search bar type in REGEDIT to open the registry editor. Navigate through the following: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\TCPIP6\PARAMETERS. In the right pane, right click Disabled Components and select edit. Set the DWord value to 0. Restart your computer and the teredo tunneling adapter will now start.
[/quotemsg]

IT WORKS, YOU ARE A STAR, THNKS

sstpeter7

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014
Need to try this solution but do not know how to open device manager! please help

YouzKing

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014

(y) very well :D

Feathbee

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014
Here is what I have found in Wikipedia:
"Teredo is intended to be a temporary measure: in the long term, all IPv6 hosts should use native IPv6 connectivity. The Teredo protocol includes provisions for a sunset procedure: Teredo implementation should provide a way to stop using Teredo connectivity when IPv6 has matured and connectivity becomes available using a less brittle mechanism.
As of IETF88, Microsoft plans to deactivate their Teredo servers for Windows clients in the first half of 2014 (exact date TBD), and encourage the deactivation of publicly operated Teredo relays."

I have also read that activating Teredo can leave your computer vulnerable to outside threats: "Teredo increases the attack surface by assigning globally routable IPv6 addresses to network hosts behind NAT devices, which are otherwise mostly unreachable from the Internet. By doing so, Teredo potentially exposes any IPv6-enabled application with an open port to the outside." and "Teredo will happily bore holes in your host-based firewall, using Plug-n-play, and unless your firewall knows about NAT traversal and Teredo, and has mechanisms to block it, Teredo typically goes right through your border gateway as well. Once a connection is open, traffic can go both ways, and there is no inspection of that traffic by the host-based firewall."

Maybe it is best to not reinstall Teredo??

michelle c newman

Reputable
Nov 23, 2014

michelle c newman

Reputable
Nov 23, 2014
i installed it twice and the first time i got error code 30 , the second time i got error code 10 , then i remembered seeing something about a loopback adapter in some of my settings . so i installed it and everything is back to normal and doing fine no yellow triangles or error codes . i hope this helps , im no pro i just really got started f--ing my own stuff up and fixing it but ......... what the hell i get a kick out of fixing it.LOL!!!!!!! HAVE A GOOD ONE !!!!!!!! .

Feb 8, 2015

[/quotemsg]

MellowDee

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015

That's fricken fantastic! It worked thanks so much

tenthouse

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015

[/quotemsg]

tenthouse

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015
i am also having code 10 with tunnel and followed the fix step by step and didnt work i also went through update install system revovery disable enable reboot and nothing worked. should i try getting an update through another computer. help