[SOLVED] Reinstall windows on a PC that won't boot WITHOUT installation media?

Zii

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
I have a bud whose PC won't boot. Sounds like a driver issue, and I walked him through it over the phone and it won't even get into safe mode. Blue screen.
Swapped out RAM, GPU, etc. No bueno. Only gets as far as the login screen and BSOD shortly after entering password.

It's one of those pathetic Windows 10 things where you don't have a "Reset My PC" option (It used to exist, but has been removed for whatever reason)
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...c/283cd126-8970-44c9-a183-0ed3f8ac72c8?auth=1

So looks like the only option is installation media. Sadly, my friend lives in Montana in the middle of nowhere, and does not have access to any other computer.
Even if he did, he wouldn't be able to figure out how to create the installation media, and his computer doesn't have a CD drive, not does he have anyUSB's.

Anyway, rock and a hard place. Any chance we could reset his pc through the command prompt? Only issue I see here is that there's no way to run an elevated command prompt, since he can't actually boot into windows. I've had this issue myself many times as running the /fixboot command on stubborn computers won't work in winpe environments, and other issues when you're not running CMD as admin.

At this point, he doesn't even care if he loses all his files. He just needs a working computer.

Thanks

Solution
IS this how you got to safe mode? What BSOD code is he getting? There are 270 or more, some more common than most.

on login screen, click the power button
while holding left shift, click restart now.
this loads him into blue menu (where reset would be if it existed in troubleshoot menu)
now if its still not there, lets try safe mode and see if it crashes in there as well
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

now if BSOD are caused by drivers, the PC should work fine in safe mode. Its not a solution but he could use PC

Did you try system restore? its in the advanced menu...

philwhipple

Prominent
Jan 1, 2019
Sounds like hardware issues. Start with the minimum. Only what is needed to boot. Remove all but one ram stick. Mouse, monitor, keyboard. If he has any extras try them.

Zii

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
Sounds like hardware issues. Start with the minimum. Only what is needed to boot. Remove all but one ram stick. Mouse, monitor, keyboard. If he has any extras try them.
Yeah, everything but the bare minimum was removed. Tried 3 different sticks of RAM in different slots. Tried onboard video, tried 2 different GPU's, etc.

Colif

Win 11 Master
IS this how you got to safe mode? What BSOD code is he getting? There are 270 or more, some more common than most.

on login screen, click the power button
while holding left shift, click restart now.
this loads him into blue menu (where reset would be if it existed in troubleshoot menu)
now if its still not there, lets try safe mode and see if it crashes in there as well
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

now if BSOD are caused by drivers, the PC should work fine in safe mode. Its not a solution but he could use PC

Did you try system restore? its in the advanced menu. Startup repair unlikely to help as this happens after logon.

Its likely the only way (if reset awol) is send your friend a USB with win 10 on it.

Solution