[SOLVED] reinstalled windows and now download speed only 33% of what it was

Dec 4, 2022
i am still a windows 7 holdout (dinosaur i know) and i was recently forced to reinstall - i am running windows 7 ultimate 64 with a realtek pcie gbe family controller
before the re-install i was getting download speeds of 300 Mbps but now it is only about 95
is there a way to reset the network adapter to factory defaults?? any other ideas to restore my connection speed
even on a wired connection to my NAS seems much slower than before

windows connects directly to router
router - Archer c7 ac1750 wireless dual band gigabit router
modem - Hitron CDA3-35
network adapter - realtek pcie gbe family controller
isp - coextro cable broadband at 300 Mbps d/l 30 Mbps u/l
ASUS motherboard

NAS devices
  • WD Mycloud
  • WD Mycloudex2Ultra

also running wireless devices
  • android phone pixel 4 android 13 (ookla shows 301 Mbps d/l
  • android phone nexus 6p android 8.1 (ookla shows 251 Mbps d/l)
  • asus chromebook (ookla shows 231 Mbps d/l)

before windows re-install i was regularly getting the nominal 300 Mbps d/l 30 Mbps u/l and the wireless speeds are quite good, so the problem must be with the network adapter on my PC don't you think?

Solution
Maybe it was just a coincidence and it is not related to the OS install.

If you had just come and said my download speed is now 95 when it used to be higher I would have told you that you have a bad ethernet cable.

I forget how the older windows work but there should be a display in the ethernet status that shows you the connection speed. It is likely 100mbps.

You can check the setting on the ethernet to be sure it is still in auto mode but that is default.

kanewolf

Titan
i am still a windows 7 holdout (dinosaur i know) and i was recently forced to reinstall - i am running windows 7 ultimate 64 with a realtek pcie gbe family controller
before the re-install i was getting download speeds of 300 Mbps but now it is only about 95
is there a way to reset the network adapter to factory defaults?? any other ideas to restore my connection speed
even on a wired connection to my NAS seems much slower than before

windows connects directly to router
router - Archer c7 ac1750 wireless dual band gigabit router
modem - Hitron CDA3-35
network adapter - realtek pcie gbe family controller
isp - coextro cable broadband at 300 Mbps d/l 30 Mbps u/l
ASUS motherboard

NAS devices
  • WD Mycloud
  • WD Mycloudex2Ultra
also running wireless devices
  • android phone pixel 4 android 13 (ookla shows 301 Mbps d/l
  • android phone nexus 6p android 8.1 (ookla shows 251 Mbps d/l)
  • asus chromebook (ookla shows 231 Mbps d/l)
before windows re-install i was regularly getting the nominal 300 Mbps d/l 30 Mbps u/l and the wireless speeds are quite good, so the problem must be with the network adapter on my PC don't you think?
Have you verified (or tweaked) the Windows autotune setting -- https://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/05/windows-10-limiting-internet-speed/

If you had just come and said my download speed is now 95 when it used to be higher I would have told you that you have a bad ethernet cable.

I forget how the older windows work but there should be a display in the ethernet status that shows you the connection speed. It is likely 100mbps.

You can check the setting on the ethernet to be sure it is still in auto mode but that is default.

Reactions: pjonez26
Solution
Dec 4, 2022

funny how often the simplest solutions turn out to be the best - dug out an old cat-5 cable and i'm back to full speed :) the old cable is a bit too short for comfort but i can live with it until i get a new one

i have to admit though that i can't understand how a lan cable that had been working fine for a couple of years would just suddenly turn bad

thank you so much

Can be as simple as the metal cooled down when you turned it off and somehow got loose internal to the rj45 plug.

We used to keep a spare server laying around when we would turn off a rack of servers that had been on for a year or two. Something always seem to break,most times simple stuff like fans wouldn't restart but it is still a huge pain to replace those in a rack mounted server.