Reinstalled XP on my Dell, now only have USB v1

lobster

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004

My Dimension 4550 has been running increasingly sluggishly and crashing ever
more frequently after about 2 years of use, so I decided to reformat the HD
and reinstall Windows XP from scratch. Good decision, it's made a huge
difference.

Except...

For some reason, it has decided that the USB ports are all version 1 only
and has installed those drivers, and now each time I plug in one of my USB 2
peripherals I'm warned about this, and boy, is the data transfer slow! The
PC was originally supplied with USB 2 drivers, running quite happily. How
do I get back to this? How do I force the PC to install USB 2 drivers, and
why didn't it do so by default anyway? I still have all my Dell-supplied
installation CDs, which are what I used to reinstall Windows XP recently.

Thanks
David

"Lobster" <davidlobsterpot601@hotmail.com> wrote:
>My Dimension 4550 has been running increasingly sluggishly and crashing ever
>more frequently after about 2 years of use, so I decided to reformat the HD
>and reinstall Windows XP from scratch.

>For some reason, it has decided that the USB ports are all version 1 only

Did you check the Dell WWWebsite for chipset or motherboard drivers?
Alternately, if it's based on an Intel motherboard, find the
appropriate drivers at the Intel WWWebsite.

USB 2 support wasn't added fully until SP1. If you install SP1 or SP2, USB 2
support should be enabled. You may need to go into device manager and have
windows search for new drivers for your usb 2.0 ports after installing the
service pack.

"Lobster" <davidlobsterpot601@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My Dimension 4550 has been running increasingly sluggishly and crashing
> ever more frequently after about 2 years of use, so I decided to reformat
> the HD and reinstall Windows XP from scratch. Good decision, it's made a
> huge difference.
>
> Except...
>
> For some reason, it has decided that the USB ports are all version 1 only
> and has installed those drivers, and now each time I plug in one of my USB
> 2 peripherals I'm warned about this, and boy, is the data transfer slow!
> The PC was originally supplied with USB 2 drivers, running quite happily.
> How do I get back to this? How do I force the PC to install USB 2
> drivers, and why didn't it do so by default anyway? I still have all my
> Dell-supplied installation CDs, which are what I used to reinstall Windows
> XP recently.
>
> Thanks
> David

After having installed XP, and BEFORE installing any other driver,
you need to install Chipset driver.
For you system, it is
Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility, v.4.04.1007, A11
Date de la version: 20/09/2002

you'll find it at

http://support.euro.dell.com/fr/fr/filelib/index.aspx?sid=DIM_PNT_P4_4550&cat=27&os=WW1&dev=3268&devlib=27&fileid=R47822

Regards