Question Reinstalling Window

Jul 29, 2024
I was trying to remove all my files and reinstall windows on my old laptop so I could give it to my young neice. I replaced the battery and the power cable because neither worked anymore. It started up fine and then all of a sudden shut off, I think might have actually pulled out the cord from the adaptor by mistake. I plugged everything back in again, it started up but went directly to a screen that says it’s attempting to repair windows and then states that it can’t repair windows. When I try to reset it to factory state it states that there was a problem with resetting. I’ve selected system image recovery now but don’t have a recovery disc or usb. This is an HP G72 laptop and I have the sticker on it with the product key. It was running windows 10 but was originally installed with Windows 7 Home Premium OA. I know very little about all this, could someone help me get this up and running again.

Thank you.

*I do have another laptop if a usb can be used to download a system image.

USAFRet

Titan
If it had been upgraded to Win 10, you just need to do a new Win 10 install.

Thusly:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I would have no idea how to do this.
When you get to the part of the installation where the installer asks where to install Windows, you can delete all of the existing partitions. Then, when you proceed, Windows will get up new partitions to meet its needs.

This will also remove everything on the laptop so that you can give away without putting your info at risk.