Reinstalling windows after mobo and cpu change?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pcenthusiast16

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
I have a broken intel board and im on a budget so im switching from intel to amd (ryzen specifically). Ive heard that during the switch i will have to reinstall windows etc. Is it possible to do this without reinstalling windows?

Solution

And whoever told you that it always works and is simply plug and play is incorrect.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Sometimes it works, but with lingering issues you only find later.

If you've never seen it fail, you just haven't tried it enough times.

toshibitsu

Distinguished
Re-installing was only necessary before Windows 10. You can still do so in 10, but it's not necessary. I've taken hard drives with 10 installed and transferred them to completely different desktops(even laptops). Only real issue is you may have to re-activate Windows. It's always good to do clean installs of the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website regardless.

Oh and I have even gone as far as to pull a drive(with 10 on it) from a Lenovo laptop and popped it into a Macbook Pro. It still booted right up to 10 and worked fine. On my most recent build/upgrade, I switched a desktop from an Intel based board to a AMD Ryzen based. I didn't re-install Windows on that either and everything is working fine.

USAFRet

Titan

And I've seen it fail with Win 10.
Most recently, going from a Z77/i5-3570k system to a Z97/i74790k system.
Same drive, perfectly working...no boot.

Win 10 is a LOT better than prev versions. But still not 100%.

It is not 100% guaranteed to work.

shaneleah29

Commendable
Dec 15, 2016

ebay!

USAFRet

Titan

HAHAHAHA...enjoy your illicit OS license, and you'll be lucky if it does not come preinstalled with various levels of malware and keyloggers.

Oh, and you'll be lucky if it boots up in your specific hardware.

shaneleah29

Commendable
Dec 15, 2016
i started a new build with a msi mortor motherboard, pentium dual core chip and a new 2g graphics card. i added an old drive with windows 7 installed and hoped for the best? at first it booted! took all evening to set up but it booted and loaded windows 7! made up i thought to improve it and bought a seagate 500g drive with sierra installed so it'll run opera [an option on my current system] and a an old drive was added for backup. i booted the system and it works, however - it won't boot windows 7?

dismayed, i bought a new drive with windows 10 installed, and rearranged the hdd cables and booted again. it enters the setup 'entering setup now...'/ 'entering boot now...' page and then stops right there! the only hot keys that work are - ctrl+alt +delete = enter setup then add f11 - entering boot? then - nothing. nothing at all! i'm desperate! help me out maaannnnn!#

shane

intel pentium dual core processor
msi mortor B150m motherboard
8 G hyperex ddr4 ram
asus 2G geforce gt 710 graphics card
stock psu [dell] 650+
500G seagate barracuda drive with windows 10 [oem]
500G western digital drive [nfts] reformatted.
500G seagate drive with sierra os installed [so i can run opera and other mac apps]
old dell inspiron case.

USAFRet

Titan

1. Please start a new thread for your particular situation.

dismayed, i bought a new drive with windows 10 installed
And it does not boot up. Gee...I wonder why?

3. Please see # 1.
But you'll need to do an actual full install of the OS, on the drive, with it living int he system.
If you indeed 'bought' a valid OS. Which is unlikely.

4. Please see #1.