release date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
hey

little story: i bought my dv6000 hp notebook before vista came out (1 month before that). and i'm happy that i did that, because i run XP and vista isn't my favorite OS.

But with these rumors spreading around about windows7 , i wonder when it comes out!

i can find only something about next holidays. but my holidays are June- august. And that's the problem. which holiday they mean? mine or the others that have summer holidays next month?

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
it's interesting. why isn't there more news about windows 7?
it's good news for me that windows 7 is coming for x-mas! that's when i want to build, or want to buy a new pc.

do you know a site with more details?

i'm not so handy with vista. even my pc can't run it. but i see how many problems my girlfriend and her uncle has with that OS. i just don't want to buy vista if 7 is coming!

thanks for your reply!

ps: the tomshardware.co.uk forum doesn't show this windows 7 topic!

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

That's right. Dx11 will be available as a downloaded update for Vista. There aren't any dx11 graphics cards out yet, so if you're building now, it doesn't matter anyway.

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
i'm not planning to build now. i was just wondering when win7 would come out, and if dx11 is win7 only. but if it isn't i can go with vista, and upgrade gpu later for dx11 :p

if i would build one...

thanks for the replies, and no offense!

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is how Microsoft squeeze out more money from the "band wagoners" -- the loyal Microsoft fans who will remain loyal regards of what is tossed at them.

If you look at Windows 7 objectively it has all the same signs of failure as Vista - especially driver validation (yet another feature the user will have to try to figure out how to turn OFF). So let me ask this, you pay for all these new features then promptly go turn them all off because they consume resources and basically get in the way of productivity -- this is good because????

IE lost more market share (first time in a LONG LONG LONG time it dropped below 70%). Safari gained market share upto 8% (highest it has been in a LONG LONG LONG time).

This is another OS skip as it appears Microsoft still don't get it. At what market share percent does Microsoft have to hit before they actually start to produce software for the human race? 50%, 60%??

In reality it's Vista SP2 (or by release date maybe SP3).

hrere here and well said venomous one!

PS We at the Apple fanboy and ABM consortium would like to congratulate you for your loyal sevice. The numbrer of information empty and hate filled comments you have been making on our behalf is quite comendable. Have another glass of Kool Aid.

jagnet

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
Have any of you actually used Windows 7 pre-beta? If you were lucky enough to get a copy or find one and have used it I don't think you'd be so quick to put it down.. I've used it and it's quite an improvement over Vista SP1. I would definitly recommend it to anyone in this stage of it's development even. It installs perfectly fine and every app/game I used in Vista installed fine and is running flawlessly on Windows 7 pre-beta.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Some of the major problems with vista is that we are paying for a ton of features we don't want and go far lengths to turn off or remove. A lot of the security features are a great example. Sure people want their computer to be safe and secure but most likely they do not need to be bussiness grade secure. I feel that the home editions have way to many features in them that are not used by normal everyday people which is a huge chunk if not the majority of their users. A few feature that was great vista gave us was the slidebar. This an everyday person can use. I have dealt with a lot of peopel that are really computer illerate. I feel that if a middle schooler can't figure out how to use the feature it should not be in the home editions. The Ultimate editions should be for the people that know what there doing.

List of software new windows will have that they can throw out...
*Accessibility options
*Parental Controls
*Speech
*Security Center (force the updates, most users always ignore the updates which is bad)

These are just a few examples. Most likely if you use these features you use other software that actualy specilizes in these fields.

There were reports last month Asus announced they were going to be selling Eee pc's with atoms and windows 7 by july next year .

If its true it says a lot about W7 since vista is too hungry to run on an atom powered machine .

Well, there's only one feature that I have a problem with. It's the uac feature. I mean, it asks you if you want to open the program you just clicked on. Seriously...

You are assuming that the OS knows that YOU clicked that code and that it wasn't malware code running in the background initiating that new code which is about to silently hose your OS or open up a backdoor. With UAC on you and any other programs running do not have admin privileges and cannot change important OS files without elevation, that's all it is.

It may be a little too eager to stop any and everything and hopefully in 7 this will be tweaked a bit but UAC is here to stay and this is a necessity if you are serious about stopping malware and protecting the OS .

If all you do is play games and surf and other casual stuff then go ahead, turn it off, MS at least made it possible to just turn it off and if your OS gets hosed can always reinstall. No problem if you do not have a mission critical system running a business that takes in $1000 a minute or with precious and potentially unrecoverable data on it or a machine so complex it could take days to reinstall everything, assuming you can even find your serial numbers and so on, and no problem if you are not a complete novice and won't have to go get raped and pillaged by the freaking Geek Squad to simply reinstall Windows . . .but for a lot of people this is not the case.

UAC has made Vista a much more secure OS than XP at the cost of a relatively minor annoyance. If you are not installing software everyday you hardly ever see it.

I sure would like to use some programs without getting that annoying screen though.

Are you even using Vista?

Very few programs bring up the prompt. It only comes up when installing new programs or drivers or changing system files or properties! I guess you turned it off before you learned how it works?

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
notherdude,

Listen to yourself, you are completely blinded.

I code software to run on Vista and WinXP, my software costs around $5K a head. Trust me, I know the **** that Microsoft pass along. I have to work around their bugs and crap daily .... I can spend a good 23 hrs a week trying to debug why something isn't working as documented in MSDN. My daily routine is searching for why stuff doesn't work as advertised by Microsoft. Visual Studio 2008 has some nice features, but most of the stuff requires considerable developer R&D to see how it really works vs. how it's supposed to work.

Microsoft OS is a joke, very few developers (myself included) like working on Microsoft platforms. Windows 7 from what I've experienced is even more user unfriendly than Vista.

Anyway, why I'm bother to debate with you is silly because you haven't commented on any of the major problems with Windows 7.

And then we have the advertise wagon at Microsoft ... the Mojave ad basically says "Hey stupid user, look it's really Vista" -- and that pretty much sums up Microsoft's arrogance.

You can pretend to ignore the declining market share from Microsoft's software, but the numbers exist, go google them if you like. But the reality is end users are getting informed, they want a computer the does what they want, not endless questions they can't answer.

As far as the malware, yes you can determine if the application was initiated by a real user event vs. a code drive malware event. But Microsoft doesn't even bother to look at message queue source ... so there you have it. More lazy BS from Microsoft with an attempt to pass security over to the user. Get a clue!!!

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Notherdude,

Are YOU using Vista -- it sure doesn't sound like it?? Or you have already tweaked it turn all "security" off.

Like I said before, the OS can distinguish between code triggered events vs. user triggered events (aka mouse/keyboard) -- but Microsoft don't, they're just simply lazy about it -- it's too much effort for them to put this filtering into their security processing. Plain and simple.

Anyway, in some ways I'm glad Windows 7 is just Vista SP2 only it costs money... this really does just leave the door wider open and their market share will continue to fall.

Another thought you need to think about, maybe Microsoft actually want their OS to fail ... think about it.

As far as the malware, yes you can determine if the application was initiated by a real user event vs. a code drive malware event. But Microsoft doesn't even bother to look at message queue source ... so there you have it. More lazy BS from Microsoft with an attempt to pass security over to the user. Get a clue!!!

It may be possible to superficially determine if it was a mouse click or not but don't bother showing me that, please "carefully document" for me how this can be determined by an OS in a FOOLPROOF way that malware could not circumvent/spoof??? Are you serious? There is no foolproof way and it would just be a matter of time before an inherent flaw like this would be exploited mercilessly!! This is the kind of possibility one guards against on general principles. And no, a UAC mouse click is not the same as a user mode click - the UAC is running in a mode invisible to what runs in the user area. It too COULD be circumvented but this is vastly more difficult.

Why are both Mac and Linux also running in user mode and require elevation to root/admin? Why, because this is the only secure way to build an OS, that's why. Perhaps the fact that Windows has been the target of virtually all (criminally and anti-socially generated) malware out there and thus needs to be even MORE protected than MAC or Linux has escaped you? Why only a few years ago THIS was the argument against those idiots at MS who left the door wide open!

Was MS a bit over zealous and could it be improved slightly, why yes, I already said that and we all hope the new way in 7 is better (all except you obviously who are hoping they fail)

And if it is so simple to do away with prompted elevation then why did MS NOT do it? Are you suggesting they actually want their OS to fail by ignoring something so obvious or because they are simply lazy? Why yes, that is what you said. Why pray tell would they want to destroy their own company and lose their jobs? Take off that tin hat my friend. I guess you probably think 911 was an inside job and that lizard people rule the planet too through the NWO, eh?

Extraordinary and bizarre claims require extraordinary proof - start proving.

Mac OAS share is less than 5% worldwide. Yes, it is growing marginally in the US but much less than you seem to suggest. You haven't been drinking Job's kool aid about 17% share have you?? LOL That was RETAIL and only US. Their market share of ADVERTISING is about 90%, perhaps that confused you?

They are about 8.1% US share. (IDC)

So loss of browser share is evidence Windows Vista and Seven are bad? No, that's evidence Firefox is good. Firefox is a browser, not an OS.

Mac share is indeed growing and in markets (youth/mobile/laptops) that should be concerning to MS - because of very effective but laughably misleading advertising and the failure of MS and the OEMs to get together to produce a product of consistent quality with early Vista machines. MAC has an inherent advantage in controlling every aspect of their walled garden. We all acknowledge that. Good for them. MS needs to move closer to that somehow.

Vista itself is fine at this point (not polished to perfection, it has its quirks still) but MS haters such as yourself wish to continue the smear conspiracy and will do so through Seven as well, even before they know much of anything about it, why? Let's see, why? Hmmm . . because it aids in their desperate quest to dethrone MS and promote their own agenda? No, they wouldn't do that would they?

This is so ridiculously obvious.

Are YOU using Vista -- it sure doesn't sound like it?? Or you have already tweaked it turn all "security" off.

Are you suggesting that what I said was false and that Vista DOES require a prompt before running every program as the other poster said?

If so please document this absurd notion. I use Vista for hours everyday and rarely see the UAC prompts. You pretty much get one whenever you install drivers or new programs are change system files or properties. as I said.

Do YOU even use Vista? Tell the truth now . .

Anyway, in some ways I'm glad Windows 7 is just Vista SP2 only it costs money... this really does just leave the door wider open and their market share will continue to fall.

Yes, we all know your primary motivation here.

Yes. Right before I was trying the pre beta of 7 I had it for a while. I was a user of the Vista beta and rc's also.

So you are not a Vista user. Thank you for being honest but I must point out that this does mean that you are NOT a user of Vista, as I suggested. You were a beta and an RC user and this is not the same because as I understand it UAC WAS in fact tamed before the final release. You also acknowledge you turned it off immediately so it seems you actually have only a few minutes of exposure to UAC in beta form? UAC runs a lot in the first few days as you set stuff up but then it settles down.

In any event it does just what I said it does, it comes on when you INSTALL new programs or drivers or do something that could cause changes to system files. Ordinary programs most certainly DO NOT require UAC prompts at this point.

Flame-Flame_on.jpg

Thanks, this thread just made my workday a little brighter :kaola:

I am using Vista, and while it is not exactly my favorite OS I have ever used, it certainly is still eons ahead of anything Apple has to offer.

This is a enthusiast site, and there is hardly anything about a Mac to get "enthused" about.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
I am a vista user and I turned the UAC off. I left it on for about 6 months but I had such a problem with it trying to multi task that It was to much of a head acke. Maybee they needed to make the UAC more user friendly by having a way to custimize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.