Remastered Doom 3 Bundle Coming With Enhanced Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Looks cool, but the reason they are remastering this old game is because the current gen of consoles wouldn't be able to handle Doom 4. Or so I'm guessing.

I'll still get it after the price drops though :)

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I was pretty ambivalent when I played Doom 3 and the expansion. I played both to the end but never reinstalled them for a repeat round. I found Doom 2 more enjoyable though in fairness Doom 2 had a newness to it that Doom 3 could not compete with. In fact it was so new I played it on a 486 SX 25 with 4 MB of RAM and no sound card. Doom 2 had a wider mix of monsters and a mix of open and confined areas in which to fight. Doom 3 pushed the graphics envelope and I assume that the number of enemies had to be reduced in deference to the hardware of the day. In the age of the 2600 K one can only hope that the additional levels bring back the waves of demonic death that defined Doom 2.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Ok, so if you don't already own Doom3(like me) on the console, then this is for you, unless of course, you have a insatiable appetite to own anything that has the Doom label on it.

I really hope this comes out on PC, I hate playing FPS's without a mouse ^.^

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/30/doom-3-bfg-edition-brings-hell-to-360-ps3-pc-this-fall-with/

Yep, PC isnt being left out. I wouldnt mind another chance to play the game. My system I had at the time was barely able to run the game faster than a slideshow.

rjandric

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
I have it on Mac, and PC version i used to play back in the day a bit. Doom3 Resurrection of Evil was way better IMHO.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
[citation][nom]Darkerson[/nom]http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/30/ [...] fall-with/Yep, PC isnt being left out. I wouldnt mind another chance to play the game. My system I had at the time was barely able to run the game faster than a slideshow.[/citation]

I thought the same as everyone else, PC was being left out...But I did a little searching and found some articles on it and an interview with Tim Willits which can be read here http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/5/30/3051918/doom-bfg-edition-details

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
I loved doom 3, can't wait until its on my xbox, since the pc i played doom 3 on crashed all the time so i wasn't able to finish it off :( only 99% done before my pc died. never really got to play the add on, since the pc died. And I prefer to xbox 360 experience to the pc, as I enjoy sitting down on my couch looking at my 46inch, as I spend way to much time on the pc anyways.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Wamphryi[/nom]I was pretty ambivalent when I played Doom 3 and the expansion. I played both to the end but never reinstalled them for a repeat round. I found Doom 2 more enjoyable though in fairness Doom 2 had a newness to it that Doom 3 could not compete with. In fact it was so new I played it on a 486 SX 25 with 4 MB of RAM and no sound card. Doom 2 had a wider mix of monsters and a mix of open and confined areas in which to fight. Doom 3 pushed the graphics envelope and I assume that the number of enemies had to be reduced in deference to the hardware of the day. In the age of the 2600 K one can only hope that the additional levels bring back the waves of demonic death that defined Doom 2.[/citation]

the reason light wasnt mounted on guns was because when doom 3 was in development, that was something that would be impossible to have done with light from the gun at the same time. but when it came round for doom 3 to come out, half life 2 kicked the crap out of doom 3 graphic wise, and on lesser hardware.

the mechanics in doom 3 were dated by launch, and all that i can remember was playing that game on a than 5 year old crt... so what was already a REALLY dark game was made even darker to the point i could barely play it even with lights on in the game.

i like doom 3 all right, but it was dated at the time of release.

------------------

that said, what did they change... anyone see it from the video, because i didnt notice anything besides possibly a soft shadow.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Darkerson[/nom]http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/30/ [...] fall-with/Yep, PC isnt being left out. I wouldnt mind another chance to play the game. My system I had at the time was barely able to run the game faster than a slideshow.[/citation]

No need to have it "remastered" for the PC, remember that the xbox 360's gpu equals a 7800gtx and that was released mid 2005. Having doom3 "remastered" for 7 years old hardware bellonging in a museum by electronic component standards no thx! Guess my xbox360 will keep collecting dust even when the title itself was fun back in the days i cant bare to play a shooter without a mouse!

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
The PC isn't getting remastered graphics because the remastered graphics are just the Ultra Quality settings from the PC version that the original Xbox version couldn't handle. Look at the trailer linked below.

Consoles are finally getting Doom 3 the way it was meant to be seen. If you have already played Doom 3 for PC on Ultra settings, then you've already seen the "remastered" graphics coming to 360/PS3. If you compare the trailer linked below to any youtube vids of Doom 3 at Ultra settings, they are nearly identical. If anything, id should have done this a lot sooner. Doom 3 at Ultra Quality would have made a kick-ass launch title for the 360.

There are still some good reasons to buy this new pack for PC, though:

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/5/30/3051918/doom-bfg-edition-details

As mentioned in that article, it will include the original Doom and Doom 2, meaning the PC might finally get an official version of them that includes proper WASD+Mouse Look controls (the originals currently on Steam just use DOSbox and the original dated keyboard-based controls, before WASD became a standard). Plus Doom 3 will still have the 7 new levels as mentioned here. Seems like a solid buy for all three platforms.

G

They should remaster the original Doom, Final Doom etc using the Doom 3 engine. I loved playing the original games because of the gameplay. Bringing the graphics up to scratch would be a nice addition.

joeman99

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Doom 3 lacked Doom 1&2 signature feature: stampeding swarms of enemies attacking, as first imagined in the movie Aliens. The real Doom 3 to me was Serious Sam.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
[citation][nom]joeman99[/nom]Doom 3 lacked Doom 1&2 signature feature: stampeding swarms of enemies attacking, as first imagined in the movie Aliens. The real Doom 3 to me was Serious Sam.[/citation]

Upvoted because Serious Sam was awesome, but it only really offered half of what made Doom so great. Doom was not only about the massive hordes but also the excellent maze-like level design. Serious Sam had the enemies but lacked the exploration and interesting level design.

In 2012, there has still yet to be a proper modern Doom successor. Some have come close, like Serious Sam and Painkiller - games that pride themselves on throwing massive amounts of enemies at you. But no modern game has yet to include both the sheer number of enemies as well as kick-ass exploration-based level design. The full Doom experience requires both, and I'm patiently awaiting John Romero to reveal the PC FPS he's reportedly working on. I have a feeling he wants to return to the real Doom experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.