Remote Cinema Display

hobotrolley

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Hi,

What is the best way to use a second monitor (apple cinema display) at a distance of 12 to 14 meters, would a DVI extension cable be suitable?
Would a different brand display with different inputs be needed?

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Hi,

What is the best way to use a second monitor (apple cinema display) at a distance of 12 to 14 meters, would a DVI extension cable be suitable?

Remember, that if you are referring to the 30inch display, then this may not be applicable.

Assuming that the Display you are referring to is a newer Apple cinema display (past 3 or so yrs), then DVI should be fine.

From google's calculation. 14m is 45.9ft.

I know that you can get interference and picture quality issues if you use a long VGA cable, but I havent heard anything bad about DVI.

Newegg doesnt have many long cables, but you could always buy a couple shorter ones and connect them together.

Remember the port on the screen and the computer accepts male connecters. Therefore, no matter what you get, it has to end in male at both ends. For an extension, you will have to have a female connection between the cables.

I wouldnt get a Apple Cinema display, because of the high cost compared to competitors. Since you didnt specify the size, I cant recommend specific displays, but I would suggest looking at Dell. My 2001FP 20" 16x12 has lasted well, and will continue to :)

hobotrolley

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Thanks for the reply :)
Yes, the display is one of the newer 23" ones. Shortly after the purchase, we noticed Dell made larger, cheaper ones for a lower price and with more inputs... :lol: The port on the display is male, the port on the
computer is female, so a M-F cable is required, no?
Also, I've read somewhere that a DVI cable's signal dies at a distance of around 10 meters, is this true?

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Thanks for the reply :)
Yes, the display is one of the newer 23" ones. Shortly after the purchase, we noticed Dell made larger, cheaper ones for a lower price and with more inputs... :lol: The port on the display is male, the port on the
computer is female, so a M-F cable is required, no?
Also, I've read somewhere that a DVI cable's signal dies at a distance of around 10 meters, is this true?

I never heard of a DVI signal being degraded, only VGA. THey sell DVI calbes longer than 10meters.

Make sure that the port on the monitor is male, on all the display's Ive seen its female. Then again apple likes to do things differently.
Ask someone who knows more about the subject than me, ok?

hobotrolley

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Cheers for the info.
It seems DVI isn't the way to go.
What type of cable carrys a digital signal the furthest distance? :?
Basically I need a flat panel display on the other side of the room, that is all.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Hi,

At 12 meters, you'll need a telescope to see it....

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Here is some more information. Although the DVI spec states a max cable legth of 5 meter there have been cables up to 25 feet.

Although the mandated DVI spec is 5 meters, we do carry cables up to 25 feet, and have succesfully extended them even longer than that (although results do vary depending on hardware). For guaranteed signal quality on long runs, you should consider using a powered DVI signal booster.

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812120127

100ft DVI cable

?

hobotrolley

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
@ Croc
It's for a shop, the display going up against a window facing outwards. The idea is there can be info/films playing on it, we don't necessarily see it :wink:
Is DVI the only option for digital video? It seems very limited.
Looks like I'll have to get damn expensive cables and a DVI booster or super booster from Gefen and hope that works!

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Yup... Damned expensive... And damned rare, and damned inconvenient.

Perhaps your display unit doesn't need to be so far from your monitor? I'm thinking maybe an HTPC type cpu with a wireless module that could be controlled from a central point. Then only a standard cable would be required.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Yup... Damned expensive... And damned rare, and damned inconvenient.

Perhaps your display unit doesn't need to be so far from your monitor? I'm thinking maybe an HTPC type cpu with a wireless module that could be controlled from a central point. Then only a standard cable would be required.

maybe a mac mini?
at queens college they have mac minis powering displays on the walls.